You tend to forget this about Christmas eve

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But lots and lots of people have to work that time. Firefighters, police, hospital workers, etc. I make sure I send in lots of cookies and stuff for the guys who have to work on Christmas eve at the firestation where Jerry works. He always gets out of working due to his senority. He'll work NYE though and let the younger guys go out and party hearty!

What are your plans on Christmas Eve?

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We never really go out, I think I'd rather be safe at home. And your right Susie sometimes people don't think of all the folks that have to work putting there self in danger helping other folks. Big round of
and
to those who keep us safe and take care of us

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very ture. What a sweet thing to make sure they have Christmas treats on Christmas Eve!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent reminder!

I'm going to spend Christmas Eve with the family of my friend who was killed this past July. we miss her so much...
I have gifts for them all, and some of them are in remembrance of the wonderful woman, wife, mother and friend that she was.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Christmas Eve is when we have a bif dinner with the whole family and we also celebrate mine and my siter's birthday then

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once i've prepared everything for christmas day, i'll have had a long deserved soak, rang my man for a long chat, then it'll be me and the girls curled up on the sofa with some drinks and nibbles watching t.v.
But i'll probably pop on here though for a couple of hours

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how many holidays we had without my brother-in-law because of his job (Alcoa Aluminum). They don't shut down. We've also celebrated Christmas on other days because niece and her husband had jobs that only let off Christmas day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Christmas Eve is when we have a bif dinner with the whole family and we also celebrate mine and my siter's birthday then
Katie, whats a bif dinner?

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work open to close so that the rest of the management staff can have the day off. I also get my birthday off ( NYE) so I think that's pretty fair.
Christmas eve is pretty boring at work so I don't mind.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to work Christmas Eve, Graveyard Shift. I also have to work Christmas Night Graveyard shift as well.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, this is a great reminder - I've never done it before, but it's really worth doing. I'll drop some cookies into our local police, and I'll see if I can find where the fire service is located, and drop some in there too if they're open on Christmas.

Edited to add: I've been told Christmas is the worst day in the world to be a cop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

You know, this is a great reminder - I've never done it before, but it's really worth doing. I'll drop some cookies into our local police, and I'll see if I can find where the fire service is located, and drop some in there too if they're open on Christmas.

Edited to add: I've been told Christmas is the worst day in the world to be a cop.
That is a very nice idea! I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated by all!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Christmas Eve is my family's big celebration. Since Mom passed, we now go over to my sister's house, who prepares a HUGE feast (usually turkey), and then we all exchange gifts.

Christmas Day is pretty low key with just me and Earl and the kitties.

Susie, that's a really good reminder about the men and women who are working in the emergency services. We have a fire station not even a block from our place now, and I'll make a point to bring them some cookies this Christmas.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had a job where I had Christmas Eve off (unless it was on a day that would typically be a day off for me, like a Saturday/Sunday), but I've always had Christmas and Boxing Day off. J gets the entire week off, because his plant has their Christmas shutdown then (I'm not sure what the shutdown is for ... maintenance, I think), so he lords it over me. I asked for the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off, but we're too busy so I have to work.

My parents have frequently had to work over the holidays, especially as my sister and I were no longer considered children -- they both worked for the government, and efforts would be made to let parents with young children have those days off. On the one hand, I think that's really sweet; on the other hand, how is my holiday less important because I haven't spawned? I know of some employers who ask that the employees who don't celebrate Christmas work over the holidays, and then give them equivilent time off at another time. Growing up, I know Christmas got moved around a lot to accommodate my mom's and dad's schedules -- both my parents worked with severely handicapped adults and their positions were deemed essential as none of their patients could be left alone while people went off to celebrate the holidays. We'd go in and visit them, bringing in presents and treats, because a lot of those adults had been living in the institution their entire lives and had no family to celebrate with them.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We celebrate Christmas with DH's family on Christmas Eve. That used to mean that we had about a dozen people over at our house for dinner, but these days everybody's moved so it's just us and my stepson.

That's a great reminder, though, Susie. Our fire station is just a few blocks away. I think I'll drop some cookies off for them. (Besides, it's a great opportunity to check out the cute firemen!
)

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always feel so bad for those who have to work on Christmas Eve/Day

Christmas Eve for us is huge, I love it
Usually once my Mom & Dad get off work, me and my brothers open up gifts from eachother (us 3) and then my Mom & Dad open one from us kids. Then we go to church with my whole extended family on my Moms side (all 23 of us) and then afterwards we go back to my Grandparents house and open gifts from all the extended family - thats the fun part - it usually takes us about... 3 hours to open everything

I can't wait to go home!!!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

I've never had a job where I had Christmas Eve off (unless it was on a day that would typically be a day off for me, like a Saturday/Sunday), but I've always had Christmas and Boxing Day off.
For an ignorant American (me), can you explain Boxing Day? I've always seen it on calendars, but I have no clue what it's actually about.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At my old job we would have a "skeleton" staff. Sometimes we would work until noon once in a while until 2-3 pm. I usually worked as our plans weren't until 6-7 pm. But what we do is my parents are at my house and my sister too. (vibes for good driving weather). We have been going to my fav SIL's house for years and years. We exchange gifts with them and their kids. One of my BIL's is single and he is there too. We eat lots of non nutritous food and have some drink. Us women then show each other what we got. We then leave around 10:30 as its an hour drive home.