Burn update....

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'm gonna have to break down and go to the doctor. I want to see what they say as far as my bandaging routine (my position is keep it covered with antibacterial oinment and sterile gauze pads to prevent infection and scabbing). It's not making a lot of healing progress, but burns DO heal slowly and it's gotta grow in from the edges, I know. I guess they'll probably give me some oral antibiotics, just cuz the whole open wound thing is like an open invite to infection.

Here's a pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2..._/DSC00975.jpg

If anyone wants to know the backstory, here's the other thread:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107303

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yep they get infected very very easy. when i was 17 i got burned on my hands and chest, 2nd and some 3rd degree. i think i invited swear words when they did the scraping thing. i stil have white areas on hands, and some scares on my chest from it(hmm no chest hair will grow in that area)

so please go to the doc and get it looked at,

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is going to sound crazy, but it really works.

Buy some Milk of Magnesia and apply that to the burn. Don't rub it in, just let it dry on. Apply it many times a day as often as needed. Keep it open to the air.

I burned myself quite badly at work on one of the heat lamps in the cafeteria. It was really ugly! One of the doctors I work with took me into the pharmacy and put Milk of Magnesia on it and told me to keep putting it on all day for a few days. The burn was hardly noticable in a couple of days.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, it looks painful but like it's healing to me, although I'm not a doctor. I've had my fair share of burns working around grease. I'd let it have some air though. Just so it can heal. When I burn myself, I get solarcaine and put it on the burn but never bandage it. I haven't gone to a doctor for a burn since they really have nothing for you to put on it and they charge you an arm and a leg.
Good luck, I hope it heals ok for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

Personally, it looks painful but like it's healing to me, although I'm not a doctor. I've had my fair share of burns working around grease. I'd let it have some air though. Just so it can heal. When I burn myself, I get solarcaine and put it on the burn but never bandage it. I haven't gone to a doctor for a burn since they really have nothing for you to put on it and they charge you an arm and a leg.
Good luck, I hope it heals ok for you.
Since it's become less....slide-y, I've been letting it air for short periods, but not in general during the day while working or sleeping cuz I don't want it touching anything and getting scraped or exposed to germs.

As far as the doctor thing, I agree they'll probably have nothing to say that I don't already know, but at least it won't cost me.....OHIP covers it. Hooray for healthcare.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YIKES!!
I would definately go to a doctor to see what you can put on it, that looks like it hurts.
I wouldn't put anything on it until you get an okay from a doctor.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think going to the doctor is a good idea
Let us know what your doctor says ((((healing vibes)))

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't end up going to walk-in today. I woke up with a headache that was soon a migraine, with one bloodshot eye and I felt horrible. It was not a fun day at work. I actually snuck an extra hour of sleep in, because otherwise I'd have been basically useless. I'm feeling better now, on my way to bed shortly, but the good news is the burn seems to look a lot better. I'm too tired to take and post pics, but I'm gonna see how it looks in the morning and decide then whether to go to a walk-in. Will keep you updated!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does look pretty bad...

To be honest, I wouldn't go to the doctor though
I would just let it heal, cause it will