Is anyone else technically minded?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is that because I know something about computers, suddenly I can fix the humidifier too???

Or the radio?

Or the TV, Dvd, or VCR?

anyone suffer from this misconception??

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, people have a hard time understanding that while I can take my vacuum apart and change the bearings inside the motor, change a picture tube in a black and white TV, or the cord or element in an old toaster, drywall and tape and install carpet, that I don't know how to fix a computer!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly! That would be like me asking you fix the firewall on my network. You would look at me like I'm nuts.

I came home last night and B said that I needed to fix the humidifier.

Since when do I know about Humidifiers??
Does it have RAM? Does it have a CPU? Does it need drivers? Updates to the software???

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Exactly! That would be like me asking you fix the firewall on my network. You would look at me like I'm nuts.
Since when do I know about Humidifiers??
Does it have RAM? Does it have a CPU? Does it need drivers? Updates to the software???
lol the firewall thing yea, i can fix

i am sure ther eis some humidifiers out there that do have ram, cpu's and my need updates ran

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can barely turn my computer on let alone fix it....or fix anything for that matter
I am technologically illiterate

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On a similar vein, has anyone ever noticed how if they work in an office as a receptionist or admin assistant or some other typical office desk job, they are automatically assumed to know how to fix the computer, the fax machine, the photocopier, the postage machine, and pretty much anything else you find in an office setting? Yes, I can fix my computer, but I use the photocopier, I don't repair it. Familiarity with office equipment does not necessarily equate to the ability to take complex equipment apart and make it "go" again. Sheesh!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My wife figured out really quickly that I can't fix much

Case in point: A few days after we moved in, I tried hanging a clock. Now I have a picture in that spot covering up 4 screw holes I made that won't hold a screw and there are 2 wall anchors lost in the wall somewhere. I did manage to put up a railing to the basement. So far so good there over a year and a half later

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a technical writer and my entire group thinks that because I know how to take a computer apart and rebuild it, I can fix the printer, copier, drive mappings, wireless connections, and BlackBerries. The only problem with that is...I usually CAN fix them. *shrug*

I just spend more time fixing things than actually writing anything. Oh yeah, I was also tasked to create a database in MS Access so the group can keep track of projects. Whee.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well i work in an office with all older people. No offense to older people but these people know nothing about computers. I showed them once how to change the setting on their desktop so it wouldn't make them re-enter their password after like 5 mins of not using the computer, now I am the help desk... I don't know a whole lot about computers.

But hey we did just fix the fax! It hadn't been working right for months. They brought us a new one and it STUNK! Didn't work right, ate paper, and was just terrible! Now we have our old one back!
(OK I read the users manual, but I got it working again!)

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

On a similar vein, has anyone ever noticed how if they work in an office as a receptionist or admin assistant or some other typical office desk job, they are automatically assumed to know how to fix the computer, the fax machine, the photocopier, the postage machine, and pretty much anything else you find in an office setting? Yes, I can fix my computer, but I use the photocopier, I don't repair it. Familiarity with office equipment does not necessarily equate to the ability to take complex equipment apart and make it "go" again. Sheesh!
Definitely, and just like they can't possibly put paper in the photocopier (because the big tray that says 'letter sized paper' is just too had to find and fill). I constantly have to 'fix' things - like ummm I dialled the wrong number on the fax and now it just beeps at me and won't stop

Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Well i work in an office with all older people. No offense to older people but these people know nothing about computers. I showed them once how to change the setting on their desktop so it wouldn't make them re-enter their password after like 5 mins of not using the computer, now I am the help desk... I don't know a whole lot about computers.
Don't even get me started on that, I had an audience of 10 today for a simple photoshop document of our logo, address and gradient background

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Why is that because I know something about computers, suddenly I can fix the humidifier too???

Or the radio?

Or the TV, Dvd, or VCR?

anyone suffer from this misconception??
Yeap!

Or the PS2, the toaster, the Iron and cell phones and........

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom
Well i work in an office with all older people. No offense to older people but these people know nothing about computers.

I am an older person and no offense is taken. I've been working with computers for over twenty years and love them. I do see a lot of people (all ages over 25) afraid of computers. Hey, they don't bite and they are a tool to be used, not to be ruled by. No machine gets the better of me, if reasoning doesn't work, sheer force usually will.

I really only hate the IT department, who gave them permission to be the only ones that know anything? No offense to any IT people.

~Rhonda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None taken...however from the IT dept perspective, we're more worried about the people that know something about computers than the people that don't.
If it's your home computer, do whatever you want...but when it comes to work, don't go messing with too many settings.

Anyways, well now somehow I was suppose to record something with the VCR (no On Demand here). Umm...its been 6 years since I've had to press the record button. I hope its recording...

(can't we just download it from the internet later????)

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lunasmom,
I am so sorry, I honestly didn't know you were in IT (inserted foot in mouth again!) You probably have a wonderful IT dept. that actually helps people.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScottF

Can you fix my PS2??? it wont read the games now...LOL ...
maybe, i have taken apart and fixed a few ps2 and xbox. my first xbox is still up andrunning as a ftp server