Outside Cat...HELP!!!

nicholenc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 indoor cats currently. About a month ago a little black cat kept coming onto my back deck and sitting at my door and meowing and just sitting there for hours looking in the house. We went outside to look at the cat's collar and found a phone number. My husband called the number and the man that answered was a total jerk. He said the cat has a bed in their garage and they feed it and to just leave it alone. So for a few days we did. Well it has started getting really cold at night and the cat WILL NOT leave our deck. We feel so bad for it. It just sits there through rain, wind and freezing cold temperatures. So we got one of our cat carriers and put a blanket in it and put it on the deck and now the cat sleeps in it every night. We are heartbroken for the poor cat. We now know the people who supposedly own the cat live a few house away and have other outdoor cats. Something has obviously changed with this poor cat's living situation. We have tried to go to these people's house and they won't answer the door. We want to bring the cat in once we are sure it has tested negative for feline leukemia, but we aren't sure what to do about the neighbors. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The cat is so sweet and just loves attention and we want to make it a part of our family. Please help!!!

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you don't report me, but when I found one of my neighbor's kittens outside one night at 1:00 am, starving, running into things, tortured, I brought it into my house.

When they asked if I had seen their kitten a few days later, I told them, "No". In my book, the cats come first. If the neighbor REALLY cared, that cat would not be on your deck.

If your heart impels you, take him in and love him and he will be your soulmate for the rest of your life.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

I hope you don't report me, but when I found one of my neighbor's kittens outside one night at 1:00 am, starving, running into things, tortured, I brought it into my house.

When they asked if I had seen their kitten a few days later, I told them, "No". In my book, the cats come first. If the neighbor REALLY cared, that cat would not be on your deck.

If your heart impels you, take him in and love him and he will be your soulmate for the rest of your life.
I agree 100%. I would take it and keep it .

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
poor darlin
people can be so cruel sometimes

Originally Posted by KittenKiya

I agree!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something has obviously changed with this poor cat's living situation. We have tried to go to these people's house and they won't answer the door. We want to bring the cat in once we are sure it has tested negative for feline leukemia, but we aren't sure what to do about the neighbors. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The cat is so sweet and just loves attention and we want to make it a part of our family. Please help!!!
These can be very tricky situations....but here is my suggestion. Leave a note on the door of the neighbor's home stating that you would like to adopt this cat if they are not interested in taking him back....the issue with taking him inside and not speaking to your neighbors is that even though that is best for the cat..it could get you into some litigation issues. If they do not contact you within a few days...I would go ahead with your plan. Make sure you document the date that you left the note (best to have a photo copy for your records). In the meantime....sounds like this little boy has a shelter on your porch...but you may want to look into some of the suggested shelters here:

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/info/wintershelter.htm

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Katie

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My gut and heart says take him in and make him yours. As Katie says, however, that could involve legal problems so leaving a note might be a good idea. I hope you never hear from the neighbors if you go that route. It doesn't sound as though they really care about him.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know which way to go here. Personally - I agree with KittenKiya and we would likely chose that route. Of course, as Katie pointed out, that could lead to legal trouble. Depends upon how well you know those neighbors, really.

Not knowing them at all, it seems to me that if they haven't missed the kitty yet, they may not ever really realize it's gone. Also, since they don't seem to care about the cat, I find it hard to imagine they'd sue over it. Of course, given that they haven't contacted you to find out if you've seen their cat recently, one could argue negligence if it came to a legal issue. They gave up the right to that cat when they gave up properly caring for it. But that's just the opinion of someone who isn't a lawyer!

If its collar had come off - who would you call?

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt that these people care what happens to the poor cat. If you take him inside you could always just say you thought he was a stray cat and was home less. And its doubtfull that they would bother to seek legal help dealing with a missing cat that lives in their garage. But it wouldn't hurt to ask if they would mind you adopting him.But if they say no and then he disappears they would probably check with you to see if you had seen him. Thats if they cared at all.
If it was me he wouldn't be living outside he'd be in my house safe and warm and loved...

hairballmom6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suggest calling animal control in your area, tell them the situation and ask them what your options are. In our area, cats are concidered free soals, if they choose to move to the neighbors it's their right to do so.

Cats simply do not leave their homes unless they are unhappy for some reason. This little kitty obviously is either not getting enough food or water or is being abused or all the above and has chose to run away form home (if you could call that a home) and wants to live with you.

Good luck, and thank you for caring.

Lin

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I second taking her in. That's how I wound up with Miew. The neighbor's let this 6 month old 4 lb kitten (unspayed) out, she went into the drain and stayed there (unfed!) for 3 days despite the neighbors all telling these idiots to go call the kitten ... after 3days I got a trap, and the rest is history.

When they asked if I had their cat? I said, NO WAY, that just looks like yours, mine is a MALE cat, LOL!!! No way was I giving a kitten back to them.

I later found out the children tormented her, she would sleep under covers and beds and only come out at night when everyone was asleep, ate in snatches, and was generally terrified of visitors. Needless to say, she's a changed cat now
LOL. Spayed. Friendly and outgoing...
A real Siamese/orange tabby love cat!!

She gets on great with my cats
It was *meant* to be.

Oh, and I have 4 too. 2 very old (and right now VERY sick) kitties, 2 young ones...the 2 young ones came to me as strays... LOL.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicholenc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your advice. I brought the cat in a few nights ago, and I also took the cat into the vet. Everything checked out ok. It has been doing well, and 2 of the other cats are fine with it already. The 3rd cat will take time.

The first 3 nights went fine with it. Then things went down hill fast. The new cat wants outside. It sits in the windows and meows real loud, and wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t do anything else. During the day it has been fine, until today, and now it just sits at the window or door all the time and meows. It has made a real mess of my carpet by the door with the window. It tore up my carpet. I can deal with that as I plan to get softpaws for the cat, and will replace the carpet soon anyways.

In the last 3 days I have had like 3 hours of sleep each night because of the nonstop meows. So what should I do now? Will the cat stop this over time? Would it be better to just let the cat back out? All my other cats I have had since they were kittens, so I have not had any expericen with this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eventually the meowing will stop. If you choose to let him outside again I would train him on a lease. Good for you taking the kitty in. When I found Molly, I went to the owners house(customers where I worked which was sticky). They told me this 1 year old pregnant baby was attacking their terror of a dog. Mom has her baby and Molly moved with me. Did you leave a note or anything?