Well I guess I'm gonna learn to cook a whole turky...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH just walked through the door with one! I barely found space in my freezer for it! One word comes to mind....MOM!!!!!!!!!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other day John asked if I could make him some chicken. I called my mom up and she told me how to cook it. Turned out pretty good.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
A turkey really isn't as hard to cook as it looks. All you really have to do is put it in the pan, and put it in the oven. Check out the Butterball website. They have a foolproof cooking method.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have one of those big oven roasters and that's what we make our turkeys in and they turn out sooo good.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will never cook a turkey, just the thought of touching the skin makes me sick

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so funny!!! I have always cooked just the breast of turkey on the bone, like with no legs/wings etc. And last year I made a turkey, a whole one, and I almost passed out when I pulled the stuff out from inside the turkey....thank GOD my sister was there to help!
It was that big long naked neck that did me in....I thought I was gonna puke! I didn't wanna touch it at all!

(the breast of turkey doesn't have all that, it has a few small pieces heart etc in a bag that you don't even have to see, I just throw it out!
)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

That's so funny!!! I have always cooked just the breast of turkey on the bone, like with no legs/wings etc. And last year I made a turkey, a whole one, and I almost passed out when I pulled the stuff out from inside the turkey....thank GOD my sister was there to help!
It was that big long naked neck that did me in....I thought I was gonna puke! I didn't wanna touch it at all!

(the breast of turkey doesn't have all that, it has a few small pieces heart etc in a bag that you don't even have to see, I just throw it out!
)
Oh my goodness - you throw it out? I chop up all that lovely stuff and include it in the stuffing. Well except for the neck - I don't use that.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

A turkey really isn't as hard to cook as it looks. All you really have to do is put it in the pan, and put it in the oven. Check out the Butterball website. They have a foolproof cooking method.

Tell my sis-in-law that she put the thing in the oven with all the extras still in it paper and all
Now that was a long time ago, but I'd bet 30 years later she'd do the same thing.
She doesn't go by live and learn

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a Showtime Rotisserie thingy, and it does turkey PERFECTLY. the constant turning means its self-basting - I baste every half hour or so, but its not like in an oven, where the butter just drips down the sides and into the bottom of the pan - it stays on the surface of the bird much longer, cos it's constantly turning.. the skin comes out DIVINE. It takes a long time - I forget how long, I haven't made one in a couple years - but it is SO worth it. I'm making one for Christmas this year

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just cooked a turkey monday. Think of it as a big chicken. I cook the neck for Ox but he didn't eat too much of it thid time. As for the other stuff if I am cooking the turkey for more than just Neil & I I will make my mom's stuffing which calls for the all that other stuff. I roast first in oven. Picking the lirrle bit of the meat from the neck isn't so bad then!! The rest goes in the grinder with the meat I add to the bread stuffing.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am I the only weirdo who wears gloves when handling pultry (or any kind of meat for that matter?)
I can't stand to touch the stuff, but i do enjoy cooking, so i always put on some disposable gloves when I cook stuff like that- works like a charm
(don't forget, for every two pounds of turkey,you need an hour or so in the oven

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was thinking of wearing gloves...and a mask. I don't know what's up, but the last few years I get nauseous and the sight and smell of raw meat. Ok well I've only had my own place for a few years now....but yuck!

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to try and learn to cook a turkey last thanksgiving *faints* It was soooo gross. I had to make DH do it and he will from now on LOL!