Microchipping

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got a flier for Petsmart's Banfield Microchip Clinic. For $29.95 they get microchipped with the True Paws Pet Identification System. I searched on google for this company and can't find anything on the Petsmart website. Anybody know anything about this company, or Banfield and their microchip program?

My vet is charging a lot more, but cannot remember the company or anything. Marishka and I are moving to an apartment in a different city, and I want to get her microchipped in case she gets nervous the first few days (or ever) and were to dart outside. Whereas here (my parents house) she never tries to get out, but the neighbors also know me, and know that she is my cat, etc. Just trying to be prepared

She does have a collar and tag, but just with her name and my phone number. When I move, I will need to update the tag, what should it say?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard anything nice about Banfield vets, but I don't know about the microchipping.

I think your best bet is to contact some vets and shelters in your area to find out what types of chips their scanners can read, and then make your decision based upon the one most widely used.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I haven't heard anything nice about Banfield vets, but I don't know about the microchipping.

I think your best bet is to contact some vets and shelters in your area to find out what types of chips their scanners can read, and then make your decision based upon the one most widely used.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I know in my area there are 2 chips that are popular and the readers for 1 will read both, but the other reader will only read their chip. So I went with the one that was most common and that my vet usese. All 4 of mine are microchipped. I think micro-chipping is a good idea especailly if you are moving into a new area where people don't know you. Keep in mind you will also have to register the chip.

dicknleah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would steer clear of Banfield for anything. They're microchips can't be read by many scanners. All of my furkids have the AVID chips.

snickersmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think AVID is most common. I've had a bad experience in the past with Banfield, so I wouldn't recommend them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the heads up. I've never used Banfield, or really heard of them too often, so I'm glad to have heard this now.

I plan on using the same vet since I don't mind the further drive since she is also an avian vet, and a good one to my birds, so she is worth her weight in gold
so maybe I will just call her up and ask again about the price and company and stuff (it's been about 6 months since she told me).
What kind of price range should I look for? I remember her saying it was a little pricy, but I'll be honest that I don't know what to compare it to.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My pets are using AVID or AKC CARE chips, both can be read by the other's scanners as well as by Universal scanners.
Stick with a widely used service as far as chips go.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't remember what chip stoli has but i do remember the 'horrific' experience he had (he hates vets). I think it was about 100 total - for the chip and registration.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the UK so can't offer advice about which company to go with where you are, just wanted to say that I have had Radar chipped and registered with PetLog (the largest pet microchip database in Europe) and he suffered absolutely no ill effects from having been chipped
It cost me £20 (just under $40 USD) but costs are so different between our 2 countries that you shouldn't use this as a comparison. That is for lifetime registration. Microchipping has really taken off here recently, and it's offered as a package with spay/neuter at our vet.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, $100 for a microchip?? The most expensive I've seen was about $35 (plus $15 or so for registration)!
I use AVID because that is the most common around here-- actually I couldn't even get the other types (like HomeAgain) when I wanted to!

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my chip for chester free with adoption....can't remember the name of it off hand.
Around these parts (chester was adopted in another area) chips are around $100, so I've seen both ends of the spectrum. Personally, I think it's worth asking around about and then doing research regarding brands and availability of scanners. I know, myself, upon suggestion from the board, I'm going to wait till I'm closer to the GTA (post move) to get Dynah-Bear chipped, as it should be much less expensive.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

Wow, $100 for a microchip?? The most expensive I've seen was about $35 (plus $15 or so for registration)!
I use AVID because that is the most common around here-- actually I couldn't even get the other types (like HomeAgain) when I wanted to!
That is almost what my vet here quoted me for an Avid chip for our dog with registration in my name (opposed to only the vetâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s name, which I wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t comfortable with). It seemed oddly high to me too when he told me, but since I wanted a Home Again chip anyway I am going to check with other local vets on what they charge.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am surprised that it can be so high, I've never heard of that much just for a microchip!
Sometimes you can the microchip done at a shelter for a lower cost as well, or some rescues/shelters sponsor microchipped clinics or events where you can get it done.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet uses the AVID microchip. I don't know what others may be available in Hawaii. I paid $25.00 for the chip itself. According to the AVID brochure registration is $18.50 for single pet registry and $50.00 for multiple pets. The brochure doesn't say what how many pets can be registered for the "multiple" fee. My cats are registered only with the Humane Society because it would be difficult for them to escape the island to another state.
The Humane Society handles all the microchip registrations on Oahu.

As far as implanting the chip is concerned none of them had a problem. They didn't even flinch when the chip was implanted.

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The multiple pet plan is up to five cats. I had two. When Mitzee died and we got Skye we had him microchipped. When I called to register him there was no charge because I had purchased the multiple pet plan
He was microchipped for about $35 when he was spayed.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marcie came from the humane society complete with a microchip. I was thrilled about it at first, but I have now started getting junk mail and phone calls from the microchip company wanting to sell me pet insurance. How annoying. She is an indoor cat anyways, so I doubt that the microchip will be of any use. She HATES the outdoors....won't even go near the door except to greet me when I get home. I can't stand telemarketers...or junk mail....total waste of time

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Marcie came from the humane society complete with a microchip. I was thrilled about it at first, but I have now started getting junk mail and phone calls from the microchip company wanting to sell me pet insurance. How annoying. She is an indoor cat anyways, so I doubt that the microchip will be of any use. She HATES the outdoors....won't even go near the door except to greet me when I get home. I can't stand telemarketers...or junk mail....total waste of time
Next time they call you can tell them that you'd like to be taken off of their list for sales. Lots of companies will do that if asked.

jenme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe i am the only one who has had good luck with banfield.... i used to travel a lot with my cats so keeping one vet was difficult. i joined their wellness plan for both of my kitties and have have saved over 2000 already on vet visits,lab work etc thanks to it. i have never had any trouble from them.... onto the subject at hand. true paws now offer a two chip system which means your pet gets the less comon chip and the more common one as well.... meaning two different frequencies.... and also upping the chance of a shleter actually having a reader that can read the chip. it cost me 39.99 each(included registration) . i don't pay for office visits since i am on the wellness plan.
it's a personal choice for an owner.... just wanted to make sure ya had the correct info on what they offer now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Jenme for giving me your opinion and experience with Banfield : ) I'm glad they've worked out so well for you; I've never dealt with them myself, which is why I was curious about the good deal ($40 is as well...)
I'm still looking, but not as actively yet because we've got awhile until the move (haven't even pinned down an apartment!) It might get pushed back even more because of the possibility of a roommate...so this way I can make a decision without rushing. I still need to call the shelters to see what is commonly used in the area.