Argh Pet Peeve!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok..Ok....maybe it seems stupid i am am seeing it all over and today alone have already gotten three emails with this in it..

"would you sale this?"

ARGH..correc me if i am wrong but isnt the proper term SELL??

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I subscribe to two freecycle groups and I am apalled at the lack of grammer/spelling in many posts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol well i finally had enough and emailed them back saying i wont sale anything, but i do SELL. probably cost me the sale but i am so peeved i dun care, LOL..

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

lol well i finally had enough and emailed them back saying i wont sale anything, but i do SELL. probably cost me the sale but i am so peeved i dun care, LOL..
I DUN know about everyone else but I wouldn't care either

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol i did that on purpose

But i don't care much about it. I know i am far from the most accurate grammar wise person in the world. but..come on

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My personal grammar peeve is when people AXE a question instead of ASK it.

So I know what you mean!
Sometimes they (the errors) just rub you the wrong way!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

So I know what you mean!
Mine is punctuation. I understand that people will make typos, and I'm pretty patient with bad spelling, but bad punctuation just drives me insane. I'm not talking about the obscure or complicated parts but rather use of more than one exclaimation point or question mark - it's weird, I know, but I just feel more than one is redundant. I do understand that it's mostly for emphasis but I really do sometimes feel like shouting, "don't you understand what it's for?"

See, one question mark, and I got my point across just fine.

kiki_585

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I must admit I am one of the multiple exclamation point users out there. I will try to curb that habit while on this thread though

I can understand a few typos here and there and I can also understand some bad punctuation, but when you are trying to read a post or have a conversation over IM and it is a constant problem... that's when it starts to annoy me!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kiki_585

I must admit I am one of the multiple exclamation point users out there. I will try to curb that habit while on this thread though

Thank you, that's very sweet! Don't worry, I do realise that I'm in the minority.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

So I know what you mean!
That, actually, is the original pronunciation of it. The aks v ask thing has been going on since the word began to be used. It's not an error, its a variation of which one form has been stigmatized because it happens to be used by people with lower socioeconomic status.

I also am a multiple punctuation user. I also use this ?!?! mark, which drives the languages mavens up a wall.

I personally love stuff like the usage of a noun as a verb. It's fascinating. And most of the things people have pet peeves about are absolutely vital to our language. Would anyone even bat an eye at "Would you mail that to me?" People used to freak out about the usage of "mail" as a verb too.

This is a situation up with which I will not put! (said by Winston Churchill after being scolded by a prescriptivist for ending a sentence with a preposition, another of these "rules" that make no sense, often based on latin and with no grounding in English).

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Unfortunately, by doing this you have told them that your e-mail address is 'live' and working and you will probably be bombarded by junk e-mail because they will sell your e-mail address on to other spammers

If you get junk mail do not ever reply to it - report it to your e-mail provider, and to the e-mail provider or ISP of the sender.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Unfortunately, by doing this you have told them that your e-mail address is 'live' and working and you will probably be bombarded by junk e-mail because they will sell your e-mail address on to other spammers

If you get junk mail do not ever reply to it - report it to your e-mail provider, and to the e-mail provider or ISP of the sender.
it was not junkmail it was business related

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

it was not junkmail it was business related
Oh cool, sorry, I misunderstood! The hazards of having to wade through a billion or so spam e-mails at work every day, most of them trying to 'sale' me things

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spelling is my pet peeve, at least the continuous misspelling of a word even after others have spelled it right
typos, i can understand, not everyone is the best typer and I'm sure no one besides me rereads their posts three times before replying to make sure there are no spelling errors

ETA: I am also a mulitple punctuation mark abuser

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

That, actually, is the original pronunciation of it. The aks v ask thing has been going on since the word began to be used. It's not an error, its a variation of which one form has been stigmatized because it happens to be used by people with lower socioeconomic status.
Would you mind very much sharing with me the source of this information? I have a communications degree, have taken more than my share of English and writing classes, have extensive theater experience where proper enunciation was always stressed, and nowhere before have I ever heard that AKS is the original pronounciation of the word ASK.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I also am a multiple punctuation user. I also use this ?!?! mark, which drives the languages mavens up a wall.
As you point out in your post, language is not static. ?! is largely accepted now, as the interbang, at least here. Its function, if something visual could possibly be so described, is onomatopoeiac (confused query or a sort of polite :censor::censor::censor:?). Still, one would be quite enough.