Reeses is FIP *negative* :)

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet just called and Reeses is negative for FIP. Thank GOD. I never knew it was potentially fatal and when she told me that could possibly be why she's throwing up, I was crushed.

The other good news is she hasn't thrown up since 10:30am or so yesterday and she has eaten. So I'm hoping that the Amoxi she started on Monday and the Prednizone she started last night is helping. She'll be on the Prednizone until it's gone and the vet may decide to give me a refill of the Amoxi after it runs out in a week, just in case.

She seems to have a bit more energy today too. We're on Day 6 after her spay and the incision looks great, just the usual scabbing, so I gave her toys back. Also her fur is looking a tiny bit shinier and just overall I think she looks alittle bit better. She never really looked sick, but she looked slightly "off" now that I think of it.

I'm relieved

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that your baby is feeling better. Healing headbuts and come and play licks from KittenKiya's Clan

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have very happy for you!!! I had to put two cats down from this disease!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazyforinfo

I have very happy for you!!! I had to put two cats down from this disease!!!
Really? I've heard it's rare.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you sure it was FIP they trested for? there is no conclusive test for FIP while the cat is alive, a diagnosis can only be made through the autopsy, they can test for the corona virus which is what mutates into FIP though

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think FIP comes on suddenly and is very very serious, so if your cat is still wanting to play it sounds like something more minor than that. Also I understand that there is no 100% test for FIP.

It sounds to me from your posts, not that I'm any kind of expert or authority mind you, that your cat is more likely to be suffering from an allergy or gastro-intestinal upset, I think if it was FIP your cat would be very seriously ill but I understand she's been keeping you up at night wanting to play, which doesn't sound like FIP to me, in my limited knowledge of the disease.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I lost Tuffy to FIP in late August, He was sick for a while and had all kinds of blood tests and ultra sounds and needle biopsy's, They found allot wrong but not till just before the very end did they figure it was FIP. They came to that by ruling out other things it could be. I was also told that there is no real test for FIP, and even if they figured out he had FIP there is nothing much that can be done to treat it. It is a horrible thing to watch what it does to a cat near the end. When we first started to see problems in Tuffy he was pooping blood sometimes, but he seemed fine other wise, so they tried to treat him for a ulcer and other things that might have been making him bleed at times, but nothing helped much, Then I could tell the way he acted he was not feeling good, He would get real high fevers and just sit and hang his poor little head, but in the end there was nothing that could be done for him.

I truly hope that others don't have to loose there cats to this horrible disease.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I was told they were testing for FIP and that the test came back suggesting no signs of FIP. It better have been the correct test, I paid $75 for it
The vet did it because she was concerned that her fever and vomiting would go, and then come back, go and then come back etc.. She thought it probably was a GI inflamation or inflamed bowel disease but I wanted her to do the test to rule everything out.

So far so good. It's now been almost 48 hours since she's thrown up, and she's acting more like her normal self still. Her fur is looking better, a bit more shiny and smoother. My wife said she can't tell the difference, but I can.

I woke up to her this morning standing over me, staring with the "Ok you've slept long enough, feed me now" look. She slept with me for most of it but I'm sure it was just to humor me for a bit

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

Her fur is looking better, a bit more shiny and smoother. My wife said she can't tell the difference, but I can.
Your a dad, and like children you know when somethings wrong with them or when their back to their normal behaviour etc...

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

Your a dad, and like children you know when somethings wrong with them or when their back to their normal behaviour etc...
My wife would get a good laugh at that and say, uh no, he's paranoid and any slight change he notices *lol*

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry it was FIV they had. I keep getting them comfused. We were told they had luekemia but after they got worst and FIV became more known they changed it to FIV. They had ran another test and they both showed positive. Shane was given 6months and last 1 year. He had lumps on his throat which is why we tested him. He always had them from birth but back then his vet(other owner) didn't know much about FIV. Gus was our kitty and was healthy as a horse. We were told it was in remission but he died in 6 months. He went downhill fast. Shane also developed an eye infection before dying.

Either way FIP, FIV and luekemia are such bad diseases! I am happy your kitty doesn't have FIP. I am so happy she isn't throwing up and is now waking you for the day

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazyforinfo

I am happy your kitty doesn't have FIP. I am so happy she isn't throwing up and is now waking you for the day
Thanks. I'm happy she doesn't have it either and that she actually let me sleep last night

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad that she is better, but I wouldn't get too excited about a negative FIP test, they aren't reliable. FIP is a mutation of the corona virus, and while the vet has prob tested her titre levels, it isn't something that once you have a negative test for it is negative for life, as it is a virus they can come into contact with. I too have lost a cat to FIP and I agree with the others that your cat would have been a lot sicker. Fingers crossed she continues to improve.

amaranth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear your kitty is feeling better. I agree with others who have said that there is no specific test for FIP. Vets generally test coronavirus levels instead, and this can mean very little. I had a cat who passed away from FIP and her levels were in the negative (rather than very high, as one might expect in a cat with FIP). However, an autopsy later on did confirm that it was FIP. I have this cat's brother with me and his coronavirus levels have been slightly above normal (and stayed constant) for months now...the coronavirus titer alone means very little. On the other hand, FIP usually works very quickly and your cat would be almost certainly getting progressively sicker if she had FIP...so that's a very good sign.