Crystals in urine

dmrotz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got back from taking my Angel to the vet. It was to recheck her urine for infection. Well it looks as though the infection is gone, but they said she has crystal. They put her on 2 more weeks of Clavamox and want her to start eating Royal Canin urinary S/O and gave us a prescription for it. I didn't pick it up as 1) we are really huring for money right now, 2) I want more info about what else I could possibally do for her.

A little background - I have 2 cats and were feeding them Iam for about 3 yrs, well my other cat (one without UTI problems) was vomiting alot. After awhile we started to switch foods to see if that was the problem. We ended up trying a cheapo food (purina) and she seems to be better. She still vomits, but maybe once every week or two rather than once or twice a day. So we stuck with this food and they have been eating it for about 4/5 months now. That is when Angel started to have the UTI problems.

So do you think that I need to feed Angel the prescription food or do you think she would be fine going back to Iams? At this point I don't know how we can afford the prescription food (@ $20 for 5.5 lbs) and I don't want the other cat eating it. Any suggestions would be great!!

Dawn
Angel & Coca

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your vet said S/O it is likely to dissolve the crystal s... if you cant afford it talk to your vet ... I wouldnt give her anything not vet appr for right now

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are lucky enough that these are struvite crystals which *can* be dissolved via diet and controlled more easily (imo), then it's worth the cost.

You can certainly ask your vet about another prescription food that might be less expensive, and ask for an alternative once a repeat u/a shows fewer to no crystals.

Here is a link to a good article on struvite crystals and how to treat them, that may be helpful in the upcoming months.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=2729
and here is another that is good to read
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...ucted_cat.html

best wishes, there really are things you can do, and that is a blessing. Believe me, my cat had calcium oxalate bladder stones that had to be removed surgically. Now that was expensive!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dmrotz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet did say we can use the non-prescription food later on, but wants her on the prescription stuff for 6 months. Do you really think she needs to be on it that long? Also, for those that have used the S/O before, how long does a bag generaly last?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had crystals which are controlled with an acidifier carpon(dr. Belfield), which I am assuming he will be taking the rest of his life. Before I found that I was sprinkling powdered cranberry on his food which he ate for a while, and I was getting prepared to put the powder into a small capsule and give it to him when I discovered this product. It does cost around $20 a bottle of a hundred and I give him 2 a day. Your cat may need more or less, you might want to try the powdered cranberry, that was very inexpensive. the dosage should be about 500mgs. a day. that is what two pills of carpon are. You can buy small gelatin capsules in the drug store, or they can order them for you, they are very inexpensive too.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by dmrotz

The vet did say we can use the non-prescription food later on, but wants her on the prescription stuff for 6 months. Do you really think she needs to be on it that long? Also, for those that have used the S/O before, how long does a bag generaly last?
How big is the bag ... on ave the ave cat goes thru about 4 lbs of food per month ... I am NOT a VET so I cant tell you how long... I would suggest calling the vet and explaining the $$ and seeing about any other options... Honestly 6 months sounds about right if your testing monthly ...

Pat gave you some great links please look at them ...

cindylou_38

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I just got back from taking my Angel to the vet. It was to recheck her urine for infection. Well it looks as though the infection is gone, but they said she has crystal. They put her on 2 more weeks of Clavamox and want her to start eating Royal Canin urinary S/O and gave us a prescription for it. I didn't pick it up as 1) we are really huring for money right now, 2) I want more info about what else I could possibally do for her.

A little background - I have 2 cats and were feeding them Iam for about 3 yrs, well my other cat (one without UTI problems) was vomiting alot. After awhile we started to switch foods to see if that was the problem. We ended up trying a cheapo food (purina) and she seems to be better. She still vomits, but maybe once every week or two rather than once or twice a day. So we stuck with this food and they have been eating it for about 4/5 months now. That is when Angel started to have the UTI problems.

So do you think that I need to feed Angel the prescription food or do you think she would be fine going back to Iams? At this point I don't know how we can afford the prescription food (@ $20 for 5.5 lbs) and I don't want the other cat eating it. Any suggestions would be great!!

Dawn
Angel & Coca
I am just courious how your cat was acting for you to take it to the vet. My cat passed some blood the other day very watery blood, she has a hard time peeing just dribbles come out. He had the wellness testing and urine and it all came back ok!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dmrotz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by cindylou_38

I am just courious how your cat was acting for you to take it to the vet. My cat passed some blood the other day very watery blood, she has a hard time peeing just dribbles come out. He had the wellness testing and urine and it all came back ok!
I woke up in the early AM to blood spots near the litter box and on my carpet in the bedroom (litterbox is in bathroom in my room). Later on that day I saw her sqauting and when she moved there were tiny spots of blood. Some spots were more of a water red others were like blood spot from a cut. She would also tend to strain while trying to urinate.

FYI - all these things were just in one day. She was acting perfectly fine before this too.

cindylou_38

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I woke up in the early AM to blood spots near the litter box and on my carpet in the bedroom (litterbox is in bathroom in my room). Later on that day I saw her sqauting and when she moved there were tiny spots of blood. Some spots were more of a water red others were like blood spot from a cut. She would also tend to strain while trying to urinate.

FYI - all these things were just in one day. She was acting perfectly fine before this too.
Thats the same way my cat is acting, straining to pee as well!

jnnfr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty also suffers from crystals. She was put on Hill's prescription food but it altered her ph too much and then a different kind of crystals started to form. My vet then switched her to Science Diet and so far so good. My vet preferred that she be on the indoor formula but she refused to eat it, so now she is just on the regular adult formula.

My mom's cat also has trouble and after a weekend stay at the emergency clinic to take care of a complete blockage, he has to be on prescription food for the rest of his life.

We are also financially strained and it was difficult to buy the pricey prescription food. I am just thankful my kitty only had to have it for a few weeks.