UPS has me in flames

trinettec

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went rounds with UPS yesterday afternoon because the driver damaged $400 worth of portraits by leaving them sitting on the side of the road because he didn't want to go thru the gate to the house.
The local terminal mgr told me it was because we have cows (that is why there is a closed gate) and they no longer deliver to the houses that have closed gates with livestock because they are afraid the animals will get out. So basically this will cut out about 40% of the people in our county!! I told him it was just plain laziness and he will have to get me the replacement portraits that they damaged by leaving them in the road and it had better be before Christmas. Their attitude just made me

The local terminal mgr is to call me today with a decision on getting me replacements by Christmas. If he doesn't I call their CEO. I get so tired of putting up with crappy customer service

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And a lot of times they want to cut the time on their route by doing such things. We've had them park on our busy highway to make a delivery - even though there is a big drive and space to turn around!

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Courriers make me mad too.
They often leave a sticker on the door saying they've rang the doorbell without it being answered, but I've been home and they haven't even touched it.
They're just hoping that you'll take the notice and go pick up the package yourself.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our postmen at our old place used to leave everything on the street!! Including boxes of books worth hundreds!

Ryan, I had similar happen to me, but they didn't even put the notice through my door or even ring the bell!

I read that they had 'tried to deliver' online and had been waiting near the front door all day!!! I requested that it be redelivered and they didn't bother for some excuse or other!!

I ended up having to drive to another city to pick my package up on the 23rd of December to make sure I had it for Christmas!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back when I lived with my parents, Fedex would always leave stuff at the neighbors house across the street (who doesn't even have a number on the house or mailbox because it's a summer residence). Their excuse was "Oh well our maps still have your lots numbers listed" when my parents had a sign on the house, one in the yard, and on the mailbox with a bright red arrow pointing to the house (which is on the opposite side of the street).

I also will never use DHL. For some reason around here they don't use official trucks, they use courier vans that don't say DHL on them. I ordered a drumset last year before my wedding, thinking it would show up within 2 weeks before then (it was in stock and only a 4 or 5 day deliver). DHL lost it, and even though I had them cancel it and a replacement was to be shipped to me through another company, I came home from my honeymoon to find it sitting in my driveway in plain site. It had been there for 2 days.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trinettec

I went rounds with UPS yesterday afternoon because the driver damaged $400 worth of portraits by leaving them sitting on the side of the road because he didn't want to go thru the gate to the house.
The local terminal mgr told me it was because we have cows (that is why there is a closed gate) and they no longer deliver to the houses that have closed gates with livestock because they are afraid the animals will get out. So basically this will cut out about 40% of the people in our county!! I told him it was just plain laziness and he will have to get me the replacement portraits that they damaged by leaving them in the road and it had better be before Christmas. Their attitude just made me

The local terminal mgr is to call me today with a decision on getting me replacements by Christmas. If he doesn't I call their CEO. I get so tired of putting up with crappy customer service
UPS did something similar to me about a month or so ago. I live in a two bedroom duplex (with a covered porch) and the idiots didn't put my package on the porch or even knock on the door once! (I was there the entire time,i would have heard it). Well, it happened to be pouring down rain that day and instead of walking up to the porch and putting the package on the doorstep, the left it right outside!
The only way I noticed it is when I went to check my mail, i saw a soaking wet package outside. I immediately called their customer service line to file a complaint. They said that the company i ordered my package from didn't require them to knock on the door or anything. I said that still didn't excuse them for leaving my package out in the rain when there was a covered porch to put it under. They were just lazy! I was kind to the person i spoke with, and they supposedly flied a complaint against the person who "delivered" my package.....
We'll see....i officially HATE Ups. FedEx is sooooo much better.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our UPS is good here. DHL delivered a very important hiring package to the wrong house. Finally the company called us wanting to know wether Lee was taking the job. Lee didn't even know there was an offer!
His mom (our neighbor) found in in her back door, wet. Sometimes I wonder how these people keep their jobs!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

UPS did something similar to me about a month or so ago. I live in a two bedroom duplex (with a covered porch) and the idiots didn't put my package on the porch or even knock on the door once! (I was there the entire time,i would have heard it). Well, it happened to be pouring down rain that day and instead of walking up to the porch and putting the package on the doorstep, the left it right outside!
The only way I noticed it is when I went to check my mail, i saw a soaking wet package outside. I immediately called their customer service line to file a complaint. They said that the company i ordered my package from didn't require them to knock on the door or anything. I said that still didn't excuse them for leaving my package out in the rain when there was a covered porch to put it under. They were just lazy! I was kind to the person i spoke with, and they supposedly flied a complaint against the person who "delivered" my package.....
We'll see....i officially HATE Ups. FedEx is sooooo much better.
Not required to knock? I've never heard that....no signature maybe, but it's up to the driver to let you know he's there. Even if he rings the doorbell and leaves.

Did you hear that UPS and Fedex are merging? The new company will be called FedUp.

UPS = Utterly Pulverize Stuff
DHL = Drop, Hurl, Leave

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DHL is the worst here! They speed through intersections, take corners at 40mph, and will just about run you over.. When you DO get the package, it's damaged.
I was waiting for a replacement part on my new desk once. DHL left it by the front gate even though it was open, IN THE RAIN!
AND, it was less them 2 feet from being under the carport...why?......Would it have taken THAT much effort to walk 2 more feet?

Idiots!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I cannot complain about their (or anyone's service)
I live out in the country and the UPS person likes my driveway (we have a straight and a circular driveway. They ring the doorbell and then leave package by the front door which is sheltered. Or once in a while the service door of the garage which is behind the house. The thing is this time of year they might have not the regular route drivers on your routes.
The mailman if there is a package will also drop it off by the front door!!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trinettec

Maybe they did accidentally let someone's cow out and got yelled at for it? So maybe they've changed their policy.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm.....lets see if I can answer some of this stuff. As far as I know, they are to knock, but not stay. They are actually told to not wait unless it is a signature required package. Essentially they are timed and at the beginning of the day get a nice computerized estimate of how long it should take them to deliver their packages. Also, if they see someone outside or say the screen door is shut, but the inside door is open, they should announce their presence. I don't know if everyone does that, but they are trained to do so. At least here anyway.

They are supposed to bag everything if there is a chance of rain and not a good covered area. If it's windy, and raining, I know DH bags it all.

Another thing with animals, it is for driver's safety too that they are cautious. DH was bit once this summer and almost bit a second time. He had to put a package between him and a dog, who had gotten right up into the truck. This dog was snarling and everything. If there were problems with other people's animals in the area, chances are they were told something or other. I wouldn't know for sure. I don't think many people around here have gates so I don't remember hearing anything about that particular type of situation.

One of DH's biggest complaints is when people have long driveways with no where to turn around. I think most if not all of the trucks have cameras, but they are told to not back up unless necessary, because the cameras are not perfect. Once DH stopped home to use the bathroom and I had to yell at 2 kids for jumping on the bumper of his truck as he was about to pull away. He said he did see them that time, but I wonder about what would happen if it were dark out ya know? They also have to watch for everything from ruts, to tree limbs, flower pots etc. Some places are just not delivery friendly! Thoes trucks do not manuver too well in tight spaces and what not.

And this time of year, your delivery person really may be some temp driver (usually someone who works what they call pre-load but they've trained to drive as needed or on Saturdays). Plus the drivers for the most part aren't actually bringing the package to your door right now. It most likely is their helper....who may be anyone from a family member to someone from the unemployment office. Since the week before Thanksgiving DH has been out till at least 8:30 if not 9:30. His route is running well over 200 packages a day. I think it was 260something the other day.

Oh and a question for you Wyan, if they are right there with the package, why would they want you to come pick it up? Wouldn't that mean they have to carry it to your door and then back to their vehicle? Or are you referring to something so big they might try to see if you are home first? But then I know with DH, he has to try 3 times to deliver it themselves (with leaving notices), so trust me, they want those big bulky packages off their trucks. Oh and with certain areas, like apartments or some trailer parks (or just a neighborhood where the company has had thefts of droped off packages), they can't leave packages at doors. It depends on if there have been incidents or it is a high crime area.

Actually DH told me UPS just bought another delivery company. I want to say it was DHL but I'm not positive so don't quote me on it. Does anyone else know?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

Back when I lived with my parents, Fedex would always leave stuff at the neighbors house across the street (who doesn't even have a number on the house or mailbox because it's a summer residence). Their excuse was "Oh well our maps still have your lots numbers listed" when my parents had a sign on the house, one in the yard, and on the mailbox with a bright red arrow pointing to the house (which is on the opposite side of the street).

I also will never use DHL. For some reason around here they don't use official trucks, they use courier vans that don't say DHL on them. I ordered a drumset last year before my wedding, thinking it would show up within 2 weeks before then (it was in stock and only a 4 or 5 day deliver). DHL lost it, and even though I had them cancel it and a replacement was to be shipped to me through another company, I came home from my honeymoon to find it sitting in my driveway in plain site. It had been there for 2 days.
This is why I have a MAJOR problem with DHL. They mailed my package to me. I didn't pay over 9 dollars for shipping to have it come through the US mail.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Oh and a question for you Wyan, if they are right there with the package, why would they want you to come pick it up? Wouldn't that mean they have to carry it to your door and then back to their vehicle? Or are you referring to something so big they might try to see if you are home first? But then I know with DH, he has to try 3 times to deliver it themselves (with leaving notices), so trust me, they want those big bulky packages off their trucks.
That would make sense but they are terrible here, several times we have gotten a note from them stuck to the door while we are waiting for the package at home knowing its coming. The other day at work the UPS guy had the ticket made out and walked right up to the front door of the office and stuck it in the mailbox rather than just opening the door and bringing the parcel in (or have us sign at the door)

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least they'll deliver it! At my old apartment the post office just gave you a slip in the mail, and you couldn't even schedule a delivery. You had to go to the post office and pick it up. No matter what. When I called and asked them about it, they said it was a "waste of time" to deliver packages to apartments because sometimes people aren't home
I still don't understand why I had to pay the same postage as people who owned a house... since I lived in an apartment and was a waste of their time as a customer, and had to do their job for them. Here, the post office is much nicer and will actually deliver a package. I don't know what was wrong with my old one. Guess they just got away with being lazy or something.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

Courriers make me mad too.
They often leave a sticker on the door saying they've rang the doorbell without it being answered, but I've been home and they haven't even touched it.
They're just hoping that you'll take the notice and go pick up the package yourself.
I know, and the thing that gets me is that it MUST have taken more time to fill in the form than to ring the doorbell. What's that about?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPS is the worse shipping service that you could ever use!

A few years ago I ordered a video course for a computer program. It was $70.00 USD. Back then the exchange was high so the Canadian value was $125.00. plus $10.00 S&H via UPS.

When the parcel arrived 3 months later!!!!!!! I got a call from UPS saying that they would be delivering the package the next day and to have $58.00 ready. I said the item was paid for. They told me that the $58.00 was for "Customs and Brokerage" fees. That $58.00 was almost the same price that I paid for the product I ordered.

I'd never heard of anything like that before. I've had parcels delivered by Fed Ex and have never had to pay "Brokerage Fees" when the parcel was delivered. Upon more investigation I found out that the "Brokerage" fee was for UPS to process the paper work at the border, even if it only took a minute to do.

Another example is that I ordered a stethoscope from the US for $90.00. When UPS delivered it almost 4 months later, they wanted $125.00 at the door for brokerage fees. I refused shipment and sent it back.

I found so many complaints online about people in Canada being ripped off by UPS and that brokerage fee. Some people getting gifts for Christmas, or warrantly returns and being charged hundreds of dollars at the door in order to get the parcel. If you don't pay, they won't give you the parcel.

Apparently there is a class action law suit against UPS now for deceptive practices.

The lawsuit accuses UPS of misleading and deceptive practices by failing to get the consumer's consent, not telling the consumer about the fee and not allowing the consumer to arrange their own customs clearance.
The court action claims the UPS brokerage fee is "so harsh and adverse as to constitute an unconscionable practice."
If you have to ship anything to Canada, use Fed Ex. It might sound more costly, but believe me, as a Canadian it's much much cheaper to pay $21.00 shipping for Fed Ex and next day delivery than to wait 3 months for something by USP and be hit at the door with a bill for $60.00 or even $200.00 depending on the item and it's value.

Scroll down a bit to see some outrageous examples of the fees that some people have been billed upon delivery of their UPS parcel.

http://www.epinions.com/content_2075...2/show_~allcom

Here are some other examples, plus some information about the lawsuit.

http://www.rossde.com/UPS_sucks/

http://www.poynerbaxter.com/UPS.htm

http://www.complaints.com/directory/...mber/22/34.htm

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/061024/K102418U.html

If you live in the states, either send parcels by Fed Ex or by United States Parcel Service (not UPS)

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG I would be
too!! That is unacceptable, they better take responsibility and pay for that

Any updates? Did you talk to the manager yet?

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

They said that the company i ordered my package from didn't require them to knock on the door or anything.
Huh? Like they don't have UPS company guidelines? Hasn't happened to me for a while but I worry about them leaving packages with neighbors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trinettec

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is an update from the UPS situation. I got a call from my FIL (that is where all this happened and we only live a 1/4 mile apart) The driver showed up Tues evening to pick the damaged package back up when I told them the package was at my house and not to schedule a pick up. The driver told my FIL that it wasn't his job to deliver to the house, my FIL asked him "So what is your job." Then this driver went back to his terminal mgr and said that FIL told him not to come on the farm and just leave the packages in the weeds. This did not happen.
The terminal mgrs assistant called me Wed morning to tell me that their driver was told not to come onto the farm but they would schedule another pickup for the package that night.
When the driver showed up I asked my FIL right in front of the driver is he had told the driver not to come on the farm. My FIL said "No I didn't" The driver had this very shame faced look and promised that from now on he would deliver packages to the house and if the dogs where out he would honk and wait for someone to come out to the truck. We even said that it is alright to leave the road gate open if there isn't any livestock in the field as long as he closes it when he leaves. This is acceptable to everyone. The driver got real cooperative when he knew that I had caught him in a lie.