R.i.p

forever_urs8019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well.. it has been a while since i have lsat been on, our internet has been down.

but yea. my adorable colorful litter is doing good. we are all healthy and active, playing on everyone that comes along.

yet, we had a very unfortunate event last night.
i was at home all day yesterday w/ a friend of mine, and her kitten was very cuddly to her, and i wish i had seen it, but everytime she picked her up to pet her she would go to sleep on tummy. it was adorable.. and then we were talking and the kitten starting hacking.. it sounded like a hair ball. so we put her on the floor and petted her, and she stopped, but she was shaking like crazy.. so we thought she is just scared cause she isnt in her room, and she just woke up.. so we put her in her room and leave her be... well as i was eating dinner i had a plate of food for the kittens, and all of them came but that one... and i thought she was just you know sleeping again.. i started to think because she was sleeping all day, but i didn't really do anything.. so as im walking in the room to lay down.. i see a little grey tail poking under the door, and i move the door to see who it is, and it was her.. and as i went to pick her up.. she was crawling with fleas.. and thats when i went into shock.. as i went to pick her up, she was cold.. very cold.. and hard.. i have never felt that kind of pain before...

my dad checked her, and she didn't have any puncture wounds.. we thought it might have been one of the other cats.. we are still trying to decide.. i called my vet this morning, she said it could have been a seizure.. or heartworms.. we don't know.. and the precious thing. it looks like she went to sleep.. cuddled in a little ball.. the vet said to find it out what happened they would have to open her up.. and i just don't want to do that..

so this afternoon when the family gets home we are going to a little kitten service for her..

if anyone knows what happened.. like it happened to you.. please let me know.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear that

I can't tell what happened, but if she was crawling with fleas that is a possibility - a flea infestation can drain a tiny kitten very quickly.

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if the kitten was covered in fleas when you found her then they're in the house, i'd take a cut-up flea collar, put it in your vaccuum bag and vaccuum the room, there are also carpet treatments you can get to make sure they're all dead. As the pp said, fleas can drain a kitten very quickly, so keep an eye on the other ones, just because they don't have fleas now doesn't mean the fleas won't find them, they love kittens.

Added: I'm sorry, when I heard about this I went into "fixing mode", I am very sorry for your loss, I know how hard it can be to lose one, and unfortunately, so much worse if you lose the whole litter. I hope the others are doing well.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How difficult that must of been to find the kitten that way. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss
Sounds like it was probably the fleas that got her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

forever_urs8019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
another question... will it harm a kitten if she is eating the litter.. yes,, the litter in the litter box.. she is crazy.. and i dont know what to do to make her stop.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by forever_urs8019

but they don't have fleas. none of the 9 cats. lol. so idk..
If you see fleas on a dead animal, it means that they are jumping off it to find a live host. You don't always see fleas on live animals, but it doesn't mean they don't have them.

Brush your other cats over dampened white kitchen paper - if you see red specks on the paper it means they have fleas and need to be treated.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by forever_urs8019

another question... will it harm a kitten if she is eating the litter.. yes,, the litter in the litter box.. she is crazy.. and i dont know what to do to make her stop.
If it's clumping clay litter then, yes it is harmful. Non-clumping litter, normally they don't swallow they'll spit it out.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've very sorry for your loss. I've had much experience with kitten passing.

I don't know the backround of this story, but 2 kittens quickly died of a upper respitory infection and probably more so from dehydration. Another was just sickly. Sometimes kittens aren't born well and there is nothing we can do for them.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry for your loss. It must have been absolutely horrible to find this little baby like that. In honor of this very short life, I will move this thread to Crossing The Bridge. My heart is with yours.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your sad and sudden loss.

Rest in peace little life. Enjoy your time at Rainbow Bridge.

The problem with the fleas is serious, as posters have pointed out. Make sure, also, when treating to do so in a safe manner. Flea collars and flea shampoos often have so much poison in them that they are also toxic to cats - please consult your vet for the correct anti-flea preparations to use.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh how very sad and difficult for you to find your little kitty like that
I hope you can get some answers that will help ease the pain........

RIP little one, run & play with your new fur-family over the Bridge, the love from below will make you purr