Kitten Has Bad Breath

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have an almost 6 month old kitten with bad breath and I don't know why. I did a web search on the causes and I came up with tooth decay, diet, and young cats loosing their baby teeth. I'm hoping the baby teeth issue is what the issue is.

I don't think it could be tooth decay because of her age, and she eats Nutro Complete kitten food dry/wet.

I'm wondering if I should chalk it up to her loosing her baby teeth, or could it be something else?

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
More than likely it is from her losing her baby teeth and adult teeth coming in. However, if in doubt, it is always best to ask her vet!!!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would agree that it is most likely to be new teeth coming through.

Another cause of bad breath can be digestive problems, how are her bowel movements? If there is any sign of stomach trouble I would get her to the vet.

BTW, a question of my own - I have had Radar since he was 8.5 weeks old, he is now 7 months, I look at his teeth regularly, yet I have never noticed him lose any baby teeth or grow his adult ones - is this normal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses. Her bowel movements look fine. While I was reading about kittens loosing their teeth, they said that often times it happens unnoticed by their owners. Reasons being is the baby teeth are so small, and they probably swallow them sometimes when eating. And unless you know the little tooth feel out then you wouldn't know to look for the big one growing in.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

BTW, a question of my own - I have had Radar since he was 8.5 weeks old, he is now 7 months, I look at his teeth regularly, yet I have never noticed him lose any baby teeth or grow his adult ones - is this normal
I never saw Polly's either. Cats seem to be very sneaky with the growing of new teeth.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by siameseohio

Thanks for the responses. Her bowel movements look fine. While I was reading about kittens loosing their teeth, they said that often times it happens unnoticed by their owners. Reasons being is the baby teeth are so small, and they probably swallow them sometimes when eating. And unless you know the little tooth feel out then you wouldn't know to look for the big one growing in.
I wanted to keep his baby teeth, the way I have kept feathers from all my birds

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Oooo. That is sad.
Maybe you can keep her . . . . . I'm sorry I can't think of anything except toe nail clippings or fur after a good brush, and that just doesn't seem the same.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oooo. That is sad.
Maybe you can keep her . . . . . I'm sorry I can't think of anything except toe nail clippings or fur after a good brush, and that just doesn't seem the same.
Bag full of toenail clippings and shed fur doesn't really have the same ring to it does it!

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, it really doesn't.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Bag full of toenail clippings and shed fur doesn't really have the same ring to it does it!
We get rabbits in our yard that try to eat our plants, so we sometimes save fur from brushing to put around our yard. It works pretty well!

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PurrPaws

We get rabbits in our yard that try to eat our plants, so we sometimes save fur from brushing to put around our yard. It works pretty well!
Well see Epona, we weren't so far off base. You could utilize some in your yard, and hold some back for yourself. If anyone ask what it is, you can tell them its to keep the rabbits away.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well see Epona, we weren't so far off base. You could utilize some in your yard, and hold some back for yourself. If anyone ask what it is, you can tell them its to keep the rabbits away.
That would work perfectly if I had a yard
If I said that was why I kept fur to anyone who knows where I live they'd think I'd lost the plot

ibrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know how you feel. I found 2 tiny kitty fangs of Shadow's and kept them. Thought maybe I was crazy, but guess not.