Cat Flu?

stormeharley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my 10yr old cat to the vet because she started sneezing, the vet thought she might have cat flu and perscribed antibiotics. I've been looking on the internet and she doesn't have any other symptoms, she eats like a horse and is very active. Could there be anything else wrong? any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason that antibiotics were probably prescribed is because the vet may also have suspected upper respirtaroy infection.

So long as she is eating, drinking, taking her medicine, using the litter box, everything should be ok.

If she gets lethargic, not playing, not eating, not drinking, eyes start running and nose starts running, call the vet back immediately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormeharley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the comment, i must admit i do worry about her, i've only just recently lost my other cat who was 20. I was concerned that it may be something stuck in her nose as she makes strange coughing noises too. I was wondering whether anyones cats had similar problems?

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a regular old URI to me. When Prego gets them, he sneezes often and sometimes will rub his nose with his paw. Your kitty should get better in a few days, but if not, call the vet back or if you notice new symptoms.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How much is she sneezing?
Is she lethargic and hunkered down sleeping all the time?
Is she rubbing her eyes &/or ears with her paws a lot more during grooming?
Is she hiding from you or out and about?
Any changes in eating or litterbox habits?
Have you had a recent change in weather?
Any changes in environment that could cause her to be stressed? (new cat, change in routine or schedule, etc)
How long has it been since you lost your other cat?

If she's just sneezed once or twice, I wouldn't worry too much. If she's lethargic, sneezing more than a couple of times several times a day, I'd say it's either some kind of allergic reaction or an URI. Also, has she ever had problems with hairballs?

Stephanie, who has a 10 yo cat that suffers from allergies

stormeharley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

How much is she sneezing?
Is she lethargic and hunkered down sleeping all the time?
Is she rubbing her eyes &/or ears with her paws a lot more during grooming?
Is she hiding from you or out and about?
Any changes in eating or litterbox habits?
Have you had a recent change in weather?
Any changes in environment that could cause her to be stressed? (new cat, change in routine or schedule, etc)
How long has it been since you lost your other cat?

If she's just sneezed once or twice, I wouldn't worry too much. If she's lethargic, sneezing more than a couple of times several times a day, I'd say it's either some kind of allergic reaction or an URI. Also, has she ever had problems with hairballs?

Stephanie, who has a 10 yo cat that suffers from allergies
She is sneezing quite a lot, and has some snotty discharge but only out of one nostril?
I haven't noticed her sleeping more than usual, she eats like a horse and runs round the house like a mad thing.
We did think maybe she was little stressed, Samantha died in March and we moved house in March, but it all started about 2-3 months ago.
At first Derek was sneezing now and again, we took her to the vet and he prescribed antibiotics and it stopped for a few days then started up again, it's getting progressively worse, but she isn't showing any other symptoms.
Do you think I should take her back to the vet? or wait to see how she gets on?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since she's sneezing more than very occasionaly and she's got that nasal discharge, I'd take her back to the vet. Perhaps she needs a different antibiotic. Talk to your vet about how long it should be before you see an improvement and an end to the sneezing and discharge. At least then, you have some kind of timetable. Hannah ran around the house for about 3 weeks (after her 5 weeks of confinement) before she totally quit sneezing and having discharge from her eyes.

Also, with so much stress in your kitty's life, it could be aggravating some underlying problem like Feline Herpes. If so, then try a couple of feliway plug ins to see if that helps things clear up.

Stephanie

stormeharley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all your advice and info, took derek to the vet and he's given her some more antibiotics lets hope this will clear it up.

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stormeharley

Thanks for all your advice and info, took derek to the vet and he's given her some more antibiotics lets hope this will clear it up.
Just curious........what did the vet perscribe? I am treating 6 cats for URI and am on day 4. I have to go 10 days with the medication. I have Clindamycin drops for the medication
I am down to only 4 cats sneezing and getting better each day