Age Old Question - Toasters!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why can't toasters make toast?

I just made myself two slices of what was supposed to be the most delicious brown toast!

Well, this was not the case!
I ended up with two hot-ish pieces of bread (with the odd dark line) with melted butter

Is there really a toaster that can make good toast?

If you have one, can you send it my way please?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toast is so much better in the grill!

I bought a toaster as I though 'oh yes, that will be a lot easier'!

The grill in this house is combined with the oven and you have to have the big door over half way across the kitchen!! (okay, slight exaggeration
) Such a pain when all you want is some Tea and toast!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I'm not sure what you all mean by "grill". When I hear that I think charcoal and BBQ. We use our toaster oven. It's like a mini oven that sits on your counter top and does pretty good toast w/out heating up the whole kitchen.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Ok, I'm not sure what you all mean by "grill". When I hear that I think charcoal and BBQ. We use our toaster oven. It's like a mini oven that sits on your counter top and does pretty good toast w/out heating up the whole kitchen.
I think they mean the "broil" setting on the oven of the stove.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a toaster that we bought years ago at Walmart when we moved into our first apartment. The toaster is a little odd because the cord is on backwards. It comes out the front of the toaster instead of the back
It works well though

Sarah does your toaster have settings on it to determine how dark the toast gets? The description of your toast sounds like the toast mine makes when it is on its lowest setting.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I have a toaster that we bought years ago at Walmart when we moved into our first apartment. The toaster is a little odd because the cord is on backwards. It comes out the front of the toaster instead of the back
It works well though

Sarah does your toaster have settings on it to determine how dark the toast gets? The description of your toast sounds like the toast mine makes when it is on its lowest setting.
That does sound odd! At least my cord comes from the side!

It does have settings, but one slight nudge and your toast is black on one side and bread on the other!

I might have to treat myself to a new one once we move, but I think it'll still be a bit of a case of trial and error!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

I might have to treat myself to a new one once we move, but I think it'll still be a bit of a case of trial and error!
Just grab a loaf of bread and tell the store clerk you would like to test the toasters before you make your purchase!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My toaster at home works fine. If it needs to be darker I toast it a little longer. The one here at work on the other hand SUCKS!!! It toasts one side of the bread more than the other. Great. Now I wanta piece of toast!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

Just grab a loaf of bread and tell the store clerk you would like to test the toasters before you make your purchase!

I can just imagine the looks on their faces seeing me trudging around with my arms full of bread!

Would be great if they'd let me though!

Sorry for inducing your cravings, Brandi and Susan!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I have to crunch here at work is carrots. Definately not satisfying the toast craving!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

All I have to crunch here at work is carrots. Definately not satisfying the toast craving!
If I could find the send button, I could put some of my hot, buttery bread style "toast" in my CD drive and send it to you!

Just had another try and it came out burnt on one side and bread on the other!!
Boy am I craving an actual piece of toast!

trinettec

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try some "farmhouse toast"

Melt butter in a non stick skillet, put your bread in and flip to cover both sides with melted butter, then just let it brown to your desired doneness. This is best with homemade bread!!

Takes a little longer than a toaster but OH SO worth it!!!

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A couple years back I bought a $10 toaster from Target, and it STILL toasts perfectly!! My mom spent a small fortune on a Cuisinart one that couldn't toast for it's life...needless to say, she stole my trusty toaster!