A worried mommy here

jenbob48377

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I'm just venting about being a worried mommy. My dad is over me and how I am so worried about my cat. He just doesn't understand. He's very attached to me. I know he misses me. I'll be gone two weeks and although my bf is home for a few days with him, he still crys and walks around the house and looks for me. Is my dad right, is he just a cat and I'm worrying too much? I'll be home for a week and a half and then my bf and I both leave for 10 days so then the cat will be home by himself for that whole time. I have a friend looking in on him and visiting for a little bit while we are gone. I'm so beside myself about how lonely the cat will be. My bf thinks I'm crazy too. I've had so many problems with the cat, ears, food allergies, etc. that I don't want him to get depressed or anything and stop eating. Ugh, that would just be horrible for me and the cat. Does anyone think I'm being silly? I would love to hear what anyone has to say on this issue.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat is an adult cat, he'll be O.K., just make sure someone comes to visit him each day. He'll be lonely but he'll also sleep a lot. We've all had to do this, and it's not easy. He'll need lots of loving from you when you get back!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you aren't crazy! I've been away for two days (in the past) and start to miss mine, and sometimes worry, but do a couple of things - leave your vet's phone# and the number with your 'pet sitter' friend, make very sure they understand everything that needs doing (the more you feel confident about that, the less you'll worry), and call them every couple of days to reassure yourself. Then have some hot milk and honey before bed and relax. Do remember that cats and dogs don't experience time like we do - they're much more 'in the moment' - don't count the days or realize how long you've been gone (they don't watch the clock all day), so they'll just vaguely know you've both had some time out from each other, but that's not always a bad thing - absence does make the heart grow fonder :-). One thing I do when going away is use bricks to prop open any doors likely to close by accident (or by cat) and close any to rooms where the cat doesn't need to be and which are difficult to safety proof. Have a good time!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenbob48377

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I still feel bad for him, my bf says that he's meowing a lot and that just breaks my heart. I don't think I want to leave for 2 weeks and leave him there by himself again. BUt I'll be leaving for 10 days shortly after I come back. Maybe I should find someone to stay at the house instead of just visit? Maybe that would be better. I'll have to think about that one.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boy, can I feel your pain! I used to travel alot and ALWAYS worried about my kids. And as Larke says, I miss my cats constantly -even when I am at work! When I traveled I always had a friend come in to clean the litter box, visit, feed, etc. Also, checked in daily with her. Great ideas that Larke had re:vet, etc. I always left at least 2 bowls of water out - in case one of my kids tipped a bowl over! Also, I always felt better knowing that my kids had "each other" to interact with while I was gone. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenbob48377

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LNBANDCATS

Also, I always felt better knowing that my kids had "each other" to interact with while I was gone. Good luck!
Exactly, that's why I need to get another kitty. I only have Monte and I'm sure that he would be less lonely if he had a friend. I'm really going to check into that when I get home.

moocow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you're being silly, we must be psychotic!

When we went on an 8 day vacation in June we put up webcams so we could check in on the kits. We never put the cams away and we use them to check on them while we're at work... because we worry and miss them so much!

Late last week when our new boy had only been with us a week, we couldn't find him on the cams anywhere. We both watched all day and he was no where to be found. In the meantime one of our cell phones was malfunctioning and was ringing non-stop, so we began to get afraid that he had gotten up on the cabinet where it was sitting and knocked it off as he fell and cracked his head open on the kitchen floor (he's a clumsy kitten you know)... lord our imaginations were running wild. We eventually got so worried that my husband left work, drove an hour round-trip to check on them, only to find the little stinker had discovered how to crawl inside the cabinet to sleep on top of the warm cable box, which is positioned just out of sight of one of the cameras!

So, silly? Naaaaaaah.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've left Gizmo for a week at a time so far. Neighbours came in and played with her, fed her and saw to her box. She knows and loves these people.

This did not stop Gizmo from giving me a severe talking to when I came home after this last trip! She lectured me for about a minute!

Normally her reaction is "MEH"! but this time, it was a sermon! Fortunately nothing else was wrong.

I have debated getting her a friend and nixed it because (a) I am a renter, and it's harder to move with multiple pets; and (b) Gizmo's always been an only cat. She likes people more than animals.

Anyway, as long as someone is looking after your baby, she will be fine. I cat-sat three of them while their owners were in Africa for a month, and only one 'pee protest' was lodged. That and the big boy (20 lbs) mewing constantly for his daddy. But they were fine. Yours should be too, as long as someone looks after her.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MooCow

...When we went on an 8 day vacation in June we put up webcams so we could check in on the kits. We never put the cams away and we use them to check on them while we're at work... because we worry and miss them so much!...
In my next life, I want to come back as one of your cats.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch