Going to see some kittens,,,

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am going to check out some kittens tomorrow, There is 4 of them all about 4 months old. I know I will never have another Tuffy, but I want a kitty who will like me and want to spend time with me.

So my question is how do I go about deciding if any of them are the "right one"? I am going to the owners house to see them so they will not be under any new stress of being in a different place when I see them. Do I just go and see if any of them reaches out to me?

I don't want to pick one only to have it grow up like Rusty did and not like me very much. I don't want just another cat to take care of and clean up after, I have 4 of those now. Don't take that the wrong way, I love all our pets and would do anything for them just like I did for Tuffy.

I know these are questions that are hard to answer, but I can use any advice I can get.

The owner of these kittens works at the vets office so she knew Tuffy real well and she knows what I am looking for in another cat, she told me one of the kittens is just what I am looking for because of his personality. I guess I will just have to see what happens.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The important thing to remember is that there is no real way to tell how they will grow up. The sweetest kitten may just be very independant and not a lap cat when it gets older.

I would go there and see which cat reacts to you. Do any approach you? Do any curl up and snuggle in on your lap? Look for things like that. Sure the runt is always cute and they all need homes, but let one pick you is my advice.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree. The best kitten for you is the one that chooses you. Don't try to pick one up, just let one come to you and investigate. Maybe two will choose you.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do remember this though - you may get 50 cats, all perfectly nice and suitable in their own way, but if none measure up, you'll have 50 cats to 'do' for and never be satisfied - kind of like people who keep trying for a boy or girl baby and end up with 7 of one only! And remember kittens personalities can definitely change as they get older and there's no real way to predict that either. I hope you find the 'right' one, but if it turns out 'wrong', you still have to take good care of it for a long time.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Do remember this though - you may get 50 cats, all perfectly nice and suitable in their own way, but if none measure up, you'll have 50 cats to 'do' for and never be satisfied - kind of like people who keep trying for a boy or girl baby and end up with 7 of one only! And remember kittens personalities can definitely change as they get older and there's no real way to predict that either. I hope you find the 'right' one, but if it turns out 'wrong', you still have to take good care of it for a long time.
I couldn't agree more. I took my two on not knowing their personalities and i never looked for anything in them either. They needed a loving home and they got one

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Mitten passed away it was a long time before I got another HHP. I let Mitten pick him out for me. I'd go to shows and look at all the ones for adoption from the rescue group/shelter that would be there. They were all pretty/cute but none of them had a "special" feeling.

One show there was a kitten about 4-5 months old laying in the cage. The other kittens were all playing but this little guy had a regal look that he was above the others. We locked eyes and somehow Mitten told me to take this guy home. He was similar to Mitten (blue tabby/white) but the little guy was red tabby/white.

Reds never acted like a little kitten. He always had an uncanny grown up personality. He loved getting his picture taken (like Mitten) - and I took many pictures of him. It was not untill I got them back that many of the poses were almost exactly like Mitten's pictures. Even Mitten's Morris Trophy he won - the picture was exactly the same pose but on the opposite side!

So take your time and let that special kitten pick YOU. You will know in your heart its the right one. I will caution on picking a cat that looks like the one you lost. When you try to do that, you wind up expecting the kitten to be the same as the one that passed and you won't be happy. So either get a different color or opposite sex of the same color.

I just can't get another blue tabby/white cat. Good luck in finding the right one

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always joke that I don't pick cats, they just happen to me.

I was at the SPCA looking at 8 week old kittens when 6 month old Sheba picked me out. Gypsy was a feral stray who turned up on my doorstep and let me tame her. Gracie was the first underage kitten to show up at the SPCA who needed to be fostered after I'd picked up a large kennel to foster a kitten when I worked there. As it turns out, I'm no good at fostering.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm excited for you, I always love to hear about people getting a new addition to their family

I would go and sit down near them and pick the one that comes to sit on you and investigate you. I always feel that we humans have too much power when it comes to deciding which creatures should share our homes, and this way the kittens get to share in making that choice, it helps to make a happy family if you know the kitty already likes you

I know what you mean about wanting to look out for particular personalities. We are currently looking into getting a second cat, and Radar is to me the perfect cat so of course I want another one like him! There is no guarantee that the kitten's personality won't change as it gets older, but I think you get a better chance of having a special bond with a cat when it picks you out

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may want to consider an adult cat (1+ years) because it is much easier to tell their personalities.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it is real important to sit on the floor and see how they react to you. I'll never get a kitty unless I'm sitting at their level. It tells so much. Some may scatter away. Some will investigate. Others may keep a close eye on you from a distance, while others will see it as an invite to play.

Sitting on the floor may be difficult in all settings, but I don't know another way to pick a new family member. Or excuse me--to be picked.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

You may want to consider an adult cat (1+ years) because it is much easier to tell their personalities.
I'd just like to re-iterate that it is impossible to tell what a kitten's personality will be when it grows up.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I disagree on the kitten's personality/adult personality. My rex kittens had the same personality as a kitten that stayed when an adult. They were either very outgoing as kittens (and adults) or more shy (and stayed that way as adults).

They may change a bit from kitten to adult, but you can tell basic personality as a kitten.

livedeeply

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to dissent along with GoldenKitty. My vet has said that cats tend to have the same temperament that they did as kittens. He sees a lot of kittens turning into cats, so he tries to keep track to see if any disprove his theory, and so far he hasn't seen an exception.

My own two kitties were shining examples. The first one was a rescued feral, and he was a TERROR. The only thing that finally calmed him down was getting him snipped. He will still walk through a squirt gun to climb up the drapes to reach your plate... he's just calmer about it now. LOL

The other is the sweetest kitty I've ever seen. I picked up a lot of kittens at the pound that day, but she was the only one who purred and seemed to enjoy it. Now she's the biggest lap-bum ever, and she'll do all sorts of adorable tricks to get us to pet her. Never had to discipline her!

I am SOOO glad I didn't insist on my first choice of kitten, which ran away and hid from everyone in the pound once it got out.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by livedeeply

My own two kitties were shining examples. The first one was a rescued feral, and he was a TERROR. The only thing that finally calmed him down was getting him snipped. He will still walk through a squirt gun to climb up the drapes to reach your plate... he's just calmer about it now. LOL
Wow! He sounds like he's really something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just got home with Cozmo, He is grey and white and about 4 months old. He came all the way from Indiana to Wisconsin from a shelter that was going to "put him to sleep". I just sat in a room with all the cats she had that are looking for homes and he was the one that took to me right away just like Tuffy did. I am in the bedroom with him with the door shut so he can look around for a while. Rusty is in here also and Cozmo has no problem with Rusty so far. He seems to be real laid back like Tuffy was, When I was with all the cats at her house Cozmo jumped up in my lap and just layed there for a long time wanting me to pet him. So I will see how it goes I guess. I will try and get a picture of him later.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cozmo is now running all over the house, I can't believe how well he is doing already. He is allot like Tuffy in that he could care less about the other cats and does what he wants. He don't seem afraid at all, He is right now batting a ball with a bell in it all over the place. I can't get him to sit still long enough to get a picture of him.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Tom congratulation on Cozmo. He sounds wonderful! I cant wait for him to sit still long enough for you to get a pic of him.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is a picture I got of Cozmo, he is getting tired and layed down on the bed long enough to get a picture of him, not the best picture because he blends in with the blanket colors. At least you can get a idea of what he looks like.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Such a cute little guy!! Congratulations on your new addition!!

Stephanie