Should I put the litter box in the basement?

wolvena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in a 2 story house with a basement. I can't really have the litter box on the main or top floor, but I'm afraid my 5 month old cat isn't going to want to make the trip to the basement if he's on the top floor. Right now the box is in my bedroom, which is undesirable to me for obvious reasons. And my roommates don't want the litter box on the main floor because there isnt anywhere discreet to put it.

Does anyone think there would be a problem with just putting the box in the basement and showing him where it is and encouraging him to go down there when i know he's going to need to take a poo? Or should I ease him into it by putting it on the main floor for awhile, then moving it to the basement later?

We had a bad experience with our last kitten who peed everywhere but in her litter box when she was here. So, I am paranoid about my new kitten.

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I keep my 6 litterboxes in the basement (laundry room) with no problems. I had some upstairs and then gradually moved them downstairs. But, our basement is where our family room and office are, so we are all hanging out downstairs alot. Not sure if it makes a difference.

Maybe have one upstairs and one downstairs for a while?

I'll be interested in other peoples responses, I'm not sure which way is best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wolvena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah. My basement is empty. No one goes down there. My late cat used to go downstairs but he was a grown cat, who was well trained. This one is a kitten (5 months), so I'm sure that makes a difference.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wolvena

Yeah. My basement is empty. No one goes down there. My late cat used to go downstairs but he was a grown cat, who was well trained. This one is a kitten (5 months), so I'm sure that makes a difference.
You can put the "main" litterbox in the basement...however, I would also have a few "temporary" litterboxes on the other levels. You are right...he may not always know when he needs to go and may not be able to make it to the basement in time.

Katie

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wolvena

I live in a 2 story house with a basement. I can't really have the litter box on the main or top floor, but I'm afraid my 5 month old cat isn't going to want to make the trip to the basement if he's on the top floor. Right now the box is in my bedroom, which is undesirable to me for obvious reasons. And my roommates don't want the litter box on the main floor because there isnt anywhere discreet to put it.

Does anyone think there would be a problem with just putting the box in the basement and showing him where it is and encouraging him to go down there when i know he's going to need to take a poo? Or should I ease him into it by putting it on the main floor for awhile, then moving it to the basement later?

We had a bad experience with our last kitten who peed everywhere but in her litter box when she was here. So, I am paranoid about my new kitten.
When I decided to move my litter box, I did not do it wham bam just like that as I was afraid the cat would become frustrated and confused. It may sound crazy what I did but it worked just great and he never once missed going into the box properly and that was to move the box just a little bit each day so that he can find it OK. This would be harder for you since stairs are involved but I believe it can be done successfully. In my case, I moved it about six feet a day, from the bedroom, through the hall, through, the living room, through the kitchen, and finally into the laundry room where we decided we wanted it. I never read about this anywhere, I just tried to do it and it worked for my Persi.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wolvena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips.

I am going to keep him confined to the room for a few more days, then I'll open it up and put a litter box in on the main floor, and one in the basement , and I'll try to put him near the one in the basement when i think he has to go if I can regular his eating/potty schedule.

Another problem I'm having is that he keeps pooping over the edge of the litter box. He stands with his butt to close to the edge every time. Has anyone had this problem with their cats? I hope he learns not to do that soon.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, in my experience, with my first kitty Trixie, I slowly kept moving it till it was in the basement. But with my other 3, I just took them downstairs and put them in it, then let them find thier own ways back upstairs. I never had a problem.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have problems with them flicking litter - using a rubbermaid tote works wonders! My boys are defiante litter flickers and now that we use those, no litter on the floor!
The sides are high enough that when they go crazy in the box, it stays where its supposed to!

Good luck moving the box, I'd suggest moving it slowly, and also having at least one n the main floors just in case of accidents