Now I am 100% convinced cats understand

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok - you're all going to think I'm a freak, I am in shock - awe - surprise and convinced cats understand what we're saying.
As some of you know, I took in little Cielito Lindo (an 11 year old tuxedo) for 6 weeks while his mommy moved cross country from CA. (thread:http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106320)
As I said in that thread he has basically been living in a cabinet since Saturday. Well tonite I went upstairs and I just laid in front of the cabinet and talked to him for like 15 minutes. I explained to him how his mommy was coming back, how she could never ever leave him, how I was only watching him, how much she obviously loves him and how she did this for his safety and because she loves him. I then sat up in the room and just leaned against the wall. Well - he came out of the cabinet!!! Right away!! He rubbed up against me, let me pet him forever, Let me headbump him, he ate in front of me. He even let me stand up and walk around without him running!!! I am now100% convinced that he understood what I was saying. This is the first time I've seen him out of the cabinet since his mommy was here saturday morning.

(and who said cats were dumber than dogs???? I don't think so!
)

Oh - here's the only pic I got to steal of him. I pushed it a little far when I brought the camera out. He went back into the cabinet so it's not a very good picture.
I do know though that we made some progress tonite and hopefully he will come out more often (now that he knows his mommy didn't abandon him.
)

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well done! And he's a very pretty boy.

BTW, I don't think you're a freak - I really think some cats have a greater capacity for language than others. Once, in the vets', we needed to get a urine sample from Bobby, pretty urgently, but his bladder was almost totally empty (the vet described it as "the size of a walnut"). So, while the vet and I discussed other options, he prowled around the exam room.

When we started talking about maybe sticking a needle in and getting what little was there, he started pawing like he needed a litter tray. The vet got an empty litter tray and we watched in disbelief as he took a pee. Urine sample secured, no needles necessary.

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that is amazing news!!! I am with you girl, I wholeheartedly believe Conner knows what I'm saying most of the time. He reacts to what I say and meows back the appropriate response. My friends think I'm crazy because Conner and I have entire conversations.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awww that's so sweet- he's starting to trust you
. Give him some time, he's probably just a little nervous in a new place without his meowmy, but i'm sure in a little while, he'll learn to trust you and your furkids too

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's gorgeous! And I agree, you are definitely not a freak. I've had many conversations with Trent where I explained something to him or asked something of him, and he did exactly what I asked him to do. I always make a point of explaining when we are going away and that I/we will be back. I'm quite sure that they understand. It's US that have the language barrier - we don't understand Meow very well!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is great news! I totally believe they can understand.

Just the other day, I was laying down with Tino, nose to nose. He had his paw on my cheek. I was telling him how much I love him. Then I said, "Tino, if you understand me, move your paw" And I promise, he moved his paw. It startled me at first but then I realized they really do understand, in many ways and have proven it.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think that your crazy at all. I talk to my animals all the time. I know they don't understand everything, but I'm convinced that they understand more than we give them credit for.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I talk to both of my pets! Only the bird replies in English though

Even if they don't understand all the words, they do have a much better understanding than us of tone of voice and especially body language. I suspect they learn more about our meaning from those aspects of communication than the individual words that come out of our mouths, but yes they do learn to understand, especially when it comes to reading our moods

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bakker likes to jump up and sit either in front or behind the keyboard. I've "told him" he can't do that. So I have a card table chair set up next to me and he know nows that's his chair!!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neat story...and yes, over the years I've come to believe for a fact, that most cats understand a fair bit of what you are saying to them.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Neat story...and yes, over the years I've come to believe for a fact, that most cats understand a fair bit of what you are saying to them.
Yep i have to agree with you.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

Yep i have to agree with you.
It's only a few hours into the experiment, but I've decided to assume that my cats have at least a partial understanding of what I'm saying, so I tell them what I'm doing and why what's happening is happening - so far it really does seem to be making a difference.

I've always known that cats do have some capacity for understanding language (though supposedly not as much as dogs), but Bobby (as I noted above) seems to be particularly adept. For example, if I say "Let's go nap" to him, he does, and if I say "Come to bed, Bobby", he usually does within a few short minutes. I don't know that he knows what the words individually mean, but he responds consistantly to those phrases. Likewise, Molly responds to "Show me" to lead me to whatever it is that she wants.

trinettec

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This topic alwasy caused a debate in our house. I am convinced that the kittys do understand when I am talking to them. DH insists that cats have "ESP". He says they read us and also communicate to each other this way. He is always amazed how if one cat finds something all the others come running to also see, even if they are in another room.
I am also convinced that the kittys get together and plan thier snuggle times and can tell time. Annie always remind me when it is dinnertime by going to the door and meowing for me to let the dogs in so everyone can get fed at the same time. I think Annie does this because she likes the dog food.

bethneebabe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I was volunteering at the humane society as the cat woman, my job was to match cats with the right homes. I would sit the cats down and ask them what type of family they wanted and I could tell what they needed. So when a family would come in and want a sweet and loving cat, I knew exactly who they would fall in love with, and my cat matchmaking was a success! They talk to you if you listen and cats are the best listeners in the whole world.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who swears that the cat he used to have would, when he returned from work, take him around the house and show him what she had been doing that day. Which toys she had played with where, where she'd hunted a fly, where she'd curled up for a nap, that sort of thing, and wouldn't let him sit down until she'd finished 'telling' him about her day

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I have a friend who swears that the cat he used to have would, when he returned from work, take him around the house and show him what she had been doing that day. Which toys she had played with where, where she'd hunted a fly, where she'd curled up for a nap, that sort of thing, and wouldn't let him sit down until she'd finished 'telling' him about her day
How wonderful! How special their relationship must have been.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

I am now100% convinced that he understood what I was saying. This is the first time I've seen him out of the cabinet since his mommy was here saturday morning.
...well said!....
what a tender history!...
...thank you for share...

So I should to ask a audience with Cat-Majesty to talk with him!
...( King Milky!
..)....

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are a freak when you are talking to deaf cats & trust me, they never listen.

I'm glad Cielito is starting to come out of his shell. Hopefully, the next 6 weeks won't be that bad for him.