Orange Marbled Bengal?

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw an orange marbled Bengal. I've never seen or heard of one before. Is there a reason why they aren't more common? Or are they not uncommon, and I just wasn't aware of it?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They arent a regulation color ... Red bengals show up from time to time but they are pet quality and could only be shown in HHP class....

I have a suspected red marble bengal cross

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it a true red or a rufous?

Rufous coloring in bengals is very common, desirable by many and accepted by the breed standard, although they will still be refered to as "browns"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm about to run out, but I will post a pic when I return or tomorrow. Pray that I'm able to figure it out. It sure looks orange to me. It is a nice looking cat, the color just seemed so unusual to me. Thanks for the responses.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am no expert but I would say like my Zoey red

Nial???

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Nial???
I've not seen a pic of Zoey in awhile. Can you post one?

Originally Posted by siameseohio

o.k., well I'm going to try to post this pic. Here goes nothing ----------

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...angebengal.jpg
Definitely looks like a red. Very uncommon in bengals. Very pretty cat, but I wouldn't want that coloring in my lines.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Nial???
Sharky,

Do you have a picture of Zoey you could share?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where did you get your "red" bengal? Looks like it might have been an accident litter where one of the bengals bred to a red tabby domestic?

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Where did you get your "red" bengal? Looks like it might have been an accident litter where one of the bengals bred to a red tabby domestic?
Are you asking me or Sharky? I don't have a red bengal, or any color bengal for that matter.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually saw some red spotted Bengal's in person. They were trying to tell me that they were worth more than the brown spotted Bengal, because they told me these colour Bengal's were more rare, and had better markings. They weren't mixed with a tabby cat, they were actual Bengal's with papers and all, and the breeder wanted $2500 for each of them. They had an entire litter of them.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I actually saw some red spotted Bengal's in person. They were trying to tell me that they were worth more than the brown spotted Bengal, because they told me these colour Bengal's were more rare, and had better markings.
That sounds kind of scandalous. I would think they'd cost less because they are pet quality and can't be shown.
I could be wrong. Nevertheless, I think they are some beautiful animals.

Originally Posted by HopeHacker

They weren't mixed with a tabby cat, they were actual Bengal's with papers and all, and the breeder wanted $2500 for each of them. They had an entire litter of them.
From my understanding, the above Bengal isn't a tabby mix either and has it's papers as well.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont have a camera but one day I will get one of her /.//

She looks like your kitty only with white on the front

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That cat looks like a genetically red cat. A highly rufoused 'red' bengal would look very similar, but would have a black tail tip (and is genetically brown).

Heres a highly rufoused brown spotted tabby(BST) bengal:

http://www.uniqueprintscattery.com/more_dinari_pics.htm

They're both beautiful cats, but if that cat in the pic you posted is genetically red it wouldn't be able to compete. Rufousing is desired by a lot of breeders, but not everyone because they tend to 'fade' more than others.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese,

I thought you said you had the cat in question - was it a friend's of yours? Where did you take the picture?

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Siamese,

I thought you said you had the cat in question - was it a friend's of yours? Where did you take the picture?
It is not a friend's or mines. I didn't take the picture. Unfortunately, I've never seen a Bengal in person. Although I plan on attending a show in Ohio in the beginning of the year. By saying "I saw an orange Bengal", I was refering to the picture. Someone sent the picture to me.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

Rufousing is desired by SOME, but not everyone because they tend to 'fade' more than others.
Fade? Forgive my ignorance, but do Bengals fade with age or something?

By the way, thanks for the pick tiffanyjbt.
I can see the simularity in the coloring, but there definately is a difference.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by siameseohio

Fade? Forgive my ignorance, but do Bengals fade with age or something?

By the way, thanks for the pick tiffanyjbt.
I can see the simularity in the coloring, but there definately is a difference.
I think most cats get darker as they age and there is less contrast in their specific patterns. This is seen in siamese cats too. Its not so much that they fade in color. The background color gets darker and the pattern color gets lighter (falls out). The more this happens, the more the stark contrast is lost. Because the background color in rufoused bengals is a lot closer to the pattern color, they 'seem' to fade (or loose contrast) a lot quicker (think seal point meezer vs. chocolate point meezer). But this is not true for all rufoused cats (of course, 'cause then breeding would be simple and I'd do it!)

If you look at my bengal, you can see how even over the course of a few weeks his pattern color is 'falling out' on his side. This is desireable to an extent because he's a 'tri-color' bengal which means eventually the color inside the pattern will be different from the background and the pattern. The color inside his pattern will be 'rufoused' and will look the same color as that on his face and paws.

At 1 week:

At 4 weeks:

At 11 weeks:

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
o.k. o.k., I surrender! He is to cute and I can barely stand it.
I had to read several times what you wrote because I was occupied with how beautiful he is.

Thanks for the explanation and the Meezer analogy. That helped.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL! I just e-mailed his breeder about how I can't stop looking at his pictures!

You're very welcome. I'm still learning myself, so it helps me to write this stuff 'out loud' as well.