TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Cats S.O.S › Free Or Low Cost Kittens In NYC????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Free Or Low Cost Kittens In NYC????

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I have a year old male cat named basel and i think he needs a friend all he does is cries alot all night and alot of the time in the day and i was looking for a kitten for him to play with... anyone know where i can get a free or low cost place i can get a kitten???
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange5587 View Post
I have a year old male cat named basel and i think he needs a friend all he does is cries alot all night and alot of the time in the day and i was looking for a kitten for him to play with... anyone know where i can get a free or low cost place i can get a kitten???
Ange....first, I would really suggest you look into getting an older kitten or a cat around basel's age. That way, the spay/neuter will have already been performed. Typically your local shelter is very reasonable.

This group only charges $75:

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NY637.html

Katie
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
i have looked around to some places but the thing is i just dont have the money to pay that.. thats why i am looking for free kittens.. a few months old because i moved here from a small town in ohio and basel only seemed to like the kittens he does not like cats his age it seemed and he cries all the time when he is not being played with so i am looking for one soon..
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange5587 View Post
i have looked around to some places but the thing is i just dont have the money to pay that.. thats why i am looking for free kittens.. a few months old because i moved here from a small town in ohio and basel only seemed to like the kittens he does not like cats his age it seemed and he cries all the time when he is not being played with so i am looking for one soon..
Ange...if you don't have much money...how did you plan to cover the cost of shots and spaying/neutering? Young kittens are very costly...they need to be dewormed, they need 3 FVRCP shots (a month apart) they need a rabies shot, they need to be FIV/FELV tested and they need to be spayed/neutered. All of those office visits, shots, tests and spaying/neutering are going to add up..so if you don't have a lot of money then I would recommend an older kitten...one that is 6 months of age. A kitten at that age should have received all the shots listed above and will have hopefully been spayed/neutered.
Katie
post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
my boyfriend gets the food and litter we will need and i am looking for a job now so it will all come in time i will get them to the vet and all that stuff.. i have had cats all my life since i was a little girl so i know what they need
post #6 of 19
TNR1 is totally right, Ange5587. Getting a free kitten might seem like a low-cost option, but if you call your vet and total everything a kitten requires, you'll see that a rescue shelter's $75 is definitely the most cost-effective way to go. Not to mention, you can trust the shelter to give you an honest history (as much of it as they have) and personality assessment, whereas someone with an unwanted litter may not. And with a beloved cat already in the home, you don't want to bring in a kitten that may be sick, you know?

Good luck to you!
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange5587 View Post
my boyfriend gets the food and litter we will need and i am looking for a job now so it will all come in time i will get them to the vet and all that stuff.. i have had cats all my life since i was a little girl so i know what they need
Understood...but if you get a kitten now...some of those shots are going to be due at the time you acquire the kitten and you really should have it vet checked to make sure it is healthy before you introduce it to your existing cat.

In any case, I would recommend you try some other local avenues such as your local vets office and the local paper.

Good Luck..and definately keep in mind getting a 6 month old kitten or getting a kitten from your local shelter/rescue group.

Katie
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange5587 View Post
my boyfriend gets the food and litter we will need and i am looking for a job now so it will all come in time i will get them to the vet and all that stuff.. i have had cats all my life since i was a little girl so i know what they need
Perhaps it would be better for you to wait a few months, until you have a job and a bit more money.
I'd hate for you to get a kitten and then you find out it's sick or something and you can't care for it.

$75 for a shelter cat is going to work out much cheaper than a "free" kitten.
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymotus View Post
Perhaps it would be better for you to wait a few months, until you have a job and a bit more money.
I'd hate for you to get a kitten and then you find out it's sick or something and you can't care for it.

$75 for a shelter cat is going to work out much cheaper than a "free" kitten.

The great thing about the kittens from the rescue I listed is that they are already spayed/neutered.

Katie
post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
so 75 is the cheapest huh?? i might have to look in the news papers i guess... Basel needs a friend he cries all the time unless you are playing with him
post #11 of 19
Oh, you'll find them cheaper than $75. My shelter charges $65, and that's for a full grown, already neutered and vaccinated cat. I'm in Ohio, though, and it'll cost you at least $10 more in gas

Shop around. Ask your vet, see if he knows of some good shelters. I'd highly recommend the "grown cat" option, as well--you are spared the expense of neutering and shots. Your vet might even be able to directly connect you with someone who needs to give up an adult cat. (Make sure to ask about the cat's compatibility with other cats. Some cats are just loners; cats are solitary hunters by nature and not all of them enjoy socializing with other cats--thus the "grouchy one-person cats" you no doubt have met.)

You CAN get adult cats free from owners who can no longer take care of them--if you go for a "free cat", get a cat, not a kitten. Checking newspapers is a good idea, but check for cats, not kittens--"free kittens" in newspapers are just as expensive as free kittens anywhere else; you have to neuter and vaccinate them like any costly purebred!
post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 
haha i came from about 30 min away from lima and findley... my cat basel has never had any shots or anything before i came here enither has any of my other cat i have had and 2 lived for 15 years... what i am worried about with Basel is the only cats he got al9ong with back at home was kittens it seems... he got in fights with all the cats about his age.. and is nice to the kittens so i thought one younger then him would work
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange5587 View Post
he got in fights with all the cats about his age.. and is nice to the kittens so i thought one younger then him would work
If he is not neutered then that is a good reason why he is getting into fights with other cats. He probably wouldn't meow so much if he was neutered. I don't think you mentioned if he was or not so if he is then forgive me for assuming. If he is not, then please look for a low cost or free clinic and do that please. That will solve so many of your problems and problems to come like spraying and agressiveness.

good luck!
post #14 of 19
I think that having your cat neutered would solve all of the issues you are concerned about.

You should never introduce an unneutered male cat to ANY other cat, period. He would need to be neutered before you could bring another cat in anyway.

Try this link to find a low-cost or free spay/neuter clinic near you: http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
yes he has i got him done over the summer before i came here so thats not the problem i think that its just cause i lived in a very small town and was always having kittens at my house and other animals i had 3 baby ducks and 2 bunnies and a puppy and there was always new kittens around that i would bring home for a while and play with them and then give them away and he always got along fine with them and never cried this much or anything.. so i think its just the fact that he is lonley
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange5587 View Post
i lived in a very small town and was always having kittens at my house and other animals i had 3 baby ducks and 2 bunnies and a puppy and there was always new kittens around that i would bring home for a while and play with them and then give them away
I do not recommend giving away kittens.....for one thing, not everyone who acquires a kitten for "free" has good intentions. It is MUCH better to charge a fee and even better still to have the kittens spayed/neutered prior to being placed.

http://www.cathobbyist.com/articles/...yist/Free.html

Katie
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
well since i dont live there anymore i live in brooklyn its sorta hard for me to give kittens away dont you think now i am trying to FIND one.... but i cant pay the 75 dollars i need a cheaper adoption place i guess...
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange5587 View Post
well since i dont live there anymore i live in brooklyn its sorta hard for me to give kittens away dont you think now i am trying to FIND one.... but i cant pay the 75 dollars i need a cheaper adoption place i guess...
I would again recommend that you reach out to other local avenues such as your local paper and vet offices. We haven't had many individuals come here recently looking to home kittens.

Katie
post #19 of 19
Too bad you don't still live in Ohio, I am ALWAYS looking to rehome kittens, but they all come altered (almost always) and vaccinated and dewormed and everything. Also they are never ever free unless I know you personally even then I usually ask for some help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cats S.O.S
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Cats S.O.S › Free Or Low Cost Kittens In NYC????