Problems with ground rice?

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever heard of cats having an allergy or sensitivity to ground rice in cat food? Chessy has had problems on & off with diarrhea with both Nutro Indoor Formula and California Natural chicken & rice (both are dry foods). It was hard to pinpoint where the problem was coming from because he eats different wet foods also.

I have taken him to the vet and they could not find a cause for his diarrhea, so I am thinking it might have to do with his food. He did not have any problems with Iams dry food, which is what I started him on. All 3 foods have chicken and chicken meal as an ingredient, but the 2 that he has had problems with have ground rice.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rice can be an allergen.
You might try shifting the cat to a grain-free food.
My girl loved California Natural, but put on a bit of weight (probably from the white rice.)

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alternatively, your cat may be allergic to chicken. Mine was. Try another source of protein (rabbit works best, and I've had great results with Gizmo on the Nature's Logic dry food. They, and Nature's Variety (confusing, but they are sister companies) also make a canned rabbit cat food.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Yesterday I ordered California Natural herring & sweet potato, so hopefully that will arrive soon and help.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second the grain free... Cats are far more likely to have grain or starch issues.... Natures praries raw instict fits that bill evan over Evo ( potato ).....

the herring and sweet potato has something else in it ....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I second the grain free... Cats are far more likely to have grain or starch issues.... Natures praries raw instict fits that bill evan over Evo ( potato ).....

the herring and sweet potato has something else in it ....
Thanks...if the herring and sweet potato doesn't work I will just have to go totally grain free.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant Nature's Prairie. They make a canned Rabbit that is very high quality and has all the vitamins and nutrients without any grains or carbs.