What an awesome early Christmas surprise!!!!!!!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm estatic right now!!!!!
Guess what everyone!!!!! We're thinking about adopting another furbaby!!!!!
One of Colins police friends has 8 dogs that he's rescued and cared for over the years. One of his dogs is having problems getting along with the other dogs (i honestly think it's because he has too many dogs fighting over the same territory). So far all I know is that it's an adult male german shepherd mix (my favorite!!!!!
). He is supposedly a very sweet affectionate little guy. Colin's friend will be bringing him by this week. We are going to see how he gets along with Fosters and the kittens and with us. Keep your fingers crossed guys, I really hope everything goes smoothly and we are able to give this little guy a loving forever home! Fosters would LOVE a friend...and this might be the one
/ I'm not sure what all he's had done as far as shots, and neutering goes....but if he hasn't had that done it's not a big deal- Colin and I will see to it that he gets neutered and up to date on everything
Also, i'm really hoping that he does well around the kittens. I don't know what his temperment is like, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed. I REALLY hope we are able to adopt him!
What an awesome Christmas surprise! Colin just told me about it a minute ago!

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh how nice Nikki! A possible new family member for Christmas! I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything falls into place and the new doggie is just a dream edition to your bunch and is kitten-friendly!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my fingers are crossed that everything works out for the best!
and you must post pictures if all goes well.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what about the foster kittens, Have you tested him yet to see if he gets along with cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sanctie

Oh how nice Nikki! A possible new family member for Christmas! I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything falls into place and the new doggie is just a dream edition to your bunch and is kitten-friendly!
Thankyou so much! I'm really praying he's kitten friendly. Fosters is sooo gently and good around them, i'm hoping this pup will be too. If not, that might be a problem. But i'm looking on the bright side and praying it all works out

Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

my fingers are crossed that everything works out for the best!
and you must post pictures if all goes well.
I will DEFINITELY post pictures if it works out
I'm interested to see what he looks like. All i know is that he's a german shepherd mix.
Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed! I can't wait to see this little guy! I'm not sure when they will be bringing him by- i hope tomorrow when i'm off work

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no problem!
I love shepherd mixes. they are very common at the shelter where I volunteer. we have had mostly shepherd mixes and they are very common where I live, too. I would love to own a shepherd mix someday.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

what about the foster kittens, Have you tested him yet to see if he gets along with cats.
Well, I haven't seen the dog yet- they will be bringing him by sometime this week (i'm not sure when) so that will be one of the main things we watch for is his aggresssion towards cats. If he's violent towards them...then we most likely will not be able to adopt him. If he's just excitiable - then that will be no problem- we can train him like we did fosters on what is acceptable/no acceptable around the cats.
I'm really praying it all works out though. If he is aggressive towards the kittens or fosters though, we will take him to the animal shelter I volunteer for and try to rehome him out of there (eithor way, the dog will find a wonderful home, even if it's not with us.) I just hope we are able to adopt him.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

no problem!
I love shepherd mixes. they are very common at the shelter where I volunteer. we have had mostly shepherd mixes and they are very common where I live, too. I would love to own a shepherd mix someday.
My wolf-mix Ginger is mixed with german shepherd and norwegian elkhound (her mom was a wolf and her dad was a german shepherd/elkhound mix). I LOVE big fluffy dogs. So i definitely have a soft spot in my heart for shepherd mixes

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hehe, I love big fluffy dogs, too.
they pull on my heart strings.
I will definately adopt a shepherd mix someday!
there is a great pyrenees that lives down the street from me and he's so cute.
I haven't had a chance to pet him because he is very protective of his yard.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

hehe, I love big fluffy dogs, too.
they pull on my heart strings.
I will definately adopt a shepherd mix someday!
there is a great pyrenees that lives down the street from me and he's so cute.
I haven't had a chance to pet him because he is very protective of his yard.
i love big fluffy dogs- they're just so darn cute!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I hope things go well!!!
That would be great for Fosters

When I was a kid we used to have a dog that was 3/4 Timber Wolf and 1/4 German Shepard. He was a huge dog and very strong.

When I was 4 or so I used to ride around on him like he was a pony and when he got tired he would just sit and I'd slide off, LOL

He was also very smart. A very gentle and loving animal, but he knew how to guard his family. He wasn't aggressive and he used intimidation as his weapon to scare people off who tried to get into the house, even if it was only my Uncle Johnny, LOL I remember one time he came to visit us and Champ was guarding the back door as was his routine. We heard growling and went and looked and there was Champ sitting by the door growling at my poor uncle. My mom said "It's ok Champ, it's Uncle Johnny! He can come in." The dog moved aside and let him in and then went back to guarding the back door again.

He also used to love the chase our pet jack rabbits. He figured out how to open the hutch. It was fun to watch because sometimes he would be chasing them, and other times he would be running and they would be chasing him, LOL

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Oh I hope things go well!!!
That would be great for Fosters

When I was a kid we used to have a dog that was 3/4 Timber Wolf and 1/4 German Shepard. He was a huge dog and very strong.

When I was 4 or so I used to ride around on him like he was a pony and when he got tired he would just sit and I'd slide off, LOL

He was also very smart. A very gentle and loving animal, but he knew how to guard his family. He wasn't aggressive and he used intimidation as his weapon to scare people off who tried to get into the house, even if it was only my Uncle Johnny, LOL I remember one time he came to visit us and Champ was guarding the back door as was his routine. We heard growling and went and looked and there was Champ sitting by the door growling at my poor uncle. My mom said "It's ok Champ, it's Uncle Johnny! He can come in." The dog moved aside and let him in and then went back to guarding the back door again.

He also used to love the chase our pet jack rabbits. He figured out how to open the hutch. It was fun to watch because sometimes he would be chasing them, and other times he would be running and they would be chasing him, LOL
Your old pup sounds like he was a great dog
/ The rabbit thing you mentioned is something I was concerned about - see, i have a Blue Holland Lop rabbit at my house, Sophie, she is indoors only. If Colin and I were to get married down the road, i want to make sure that any new dogs would get along with her and not try to kill her...so that is something we will also look at when considering the new dog
I really hope he does ok around Fosters, the kittens, and the rabbit- i would LOVE to adopt him.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morining to get here....i can't wait to meet this new doggie! I hope Colin and I get to see him this week.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so excited for you, Nikki!
let us know how everything goes.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!!! I'll let ya'll know whatever I found out about the new dog whenever i get a chance to see him. So far I still don't know anything about him other than it's an adult male german shepherd mix. I'm dying to see him!!! Colin doesn't know when the other officer is going to bring him by yet. I'm going
waiting!. I just hope all goes well with the new dog and fosters & the kittens. If not, i've already talked to my friends up at the shelter and they said they'd be willing to take him in and rehome him if it doens't work out here. So eithor way, he will find a great new home- i just hope it's with us!!!! Keep your fingers crossed guys! I'm hoping he's a good match for us
As soon as I find out anything else about him i'll update, and i will definitely post pictures when i see him.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YAY! Nothing better then a GSD mix except maybe a beagle mix.
I hope things work out well and that he gets along with Fosters and the kitties. Is he gonna have a beer name too if it works out?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

YAY! Nothing better then a GSD mix except maybe a beagle mix.
I hope things work out well and that he gets along with Fosters and the kitties. Is he gonna have a beer name too if it works out?
I know! I wish little Memphis was closer- i would adopt her in a heartbeat!!!!! Has she found a home yet? / Humm....I haven't thought of the name thing yet...i'm not sure how long he's had his current name. So we may or may not change it. I just asked Colin what his name was a minute ago and he said his name is "Digger" .....so humm...i'm hoping him and fosters don't completly destroy the backyard - fosters has already had a hayday back there which made us have to put rabbitwire down everywhere
I'm really not to keen on his current name, digger, so i wouldn't mind changing it to something different. If we do change it though, I think it'd be funny to stick with the beer theme Colin has going on
...but i'm not sure yet- i will probably take a poll and let everyone vote if Colin and I think of some names we like and decide not to keep his old name. I can't wait to see the little guy!!!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know if shes found a home yet or not. I always loved GSD (all I ever had) until I got my bratty princess Jada. She made me fall for beagles head over heels. Nothing better then that.
My 2 used to dig alot until I decided one day I was tired of it and sat outside for 5 hours screaming leave it any time they dig. I havnt found a hole since. Im sure my neighbors thought I was crazy.
Also if he gets more attention he might not be much of a Digger any more. A tired dog is a good dog.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

I dont know if shes found a home yet or not. I always loved GSD (all I ever had) until I got my bratty princess Jada. She made me fall for beagles head over heels. Nothing better then that.
My 2 used to dig alot until I decided one day I was tired of it and sat outside for 5 hours screaming leave it any time they dig. I havnt found a hole since. Im sure my neighbors thought I was crazy.
Also if he gets more attention he might not be much of a Digger any more. A tired dog is a good dog.
too funny./ I'm not sure if they gave him the name just because, or if it's because he likes to dig- eithor way, we'll work with him and train him well like we have Fosters
/ I'm definitely not liking his name though- i think i'll vote to change it if we wind up adopting him