Is Eukanuba really bad??

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I seem to remember reading on here that Eukanuba isn't the best dry food. I was trying to choose between it, Nutro, and Science Diet for kittens. I chose Eukanuba dry Chicken and Rice because it has a slightly higher protein percentage than the other two.

The ingredient list starts off:

Chicken, Chcken Liver, Chicken By-Product Meal, Brewers Rice, Fsh Meal, Corn Grits, Chicken By-Products, Chicken Fat, Dried Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp, etc...

Is this food really that bad? Anya loves it. Should I consider switching?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chicken by products are heads feet internal organs ( including intestines) undeveloped eggs .... Not thing s I want my cat eating in large amounts... The organs yes if fresh or canned so moisture helps the digestion...

The first ingrediant is 66% water thus after cooking falls to 5th or 6th ingrediant by wt ...
I dont like organs in dry food , I have issues with the quality of the viatimins in them when dried ,,,,

If this was labeled by wt after cooking it would read like this

Chicken By-Product Meal, Brewers Rice, Fsh Meal, Corn Grits, Chicken By-Products, Chicken, chicken liver, Chicken Fat, Dried Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp, etc...

I addressed by products ... Brewers rice s nutrtional value is questionable as it is a frament and by product of the beer making process .... Fish meal GREAT but is it tuna , salmon , whitefish or a mix ??... corn grits = ground corn not very digestable

IMHO Nutro far exceeds this .... as DO many other TRUE premium brands

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll buy a little bag of Nutro next time I need to buy food and see if she likes it. It seems to be very comparable in price.

Thanks!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My opinion about foods like Iams, Science Diet and Eukanuba are that they aren't necessarily going to kill your cat or spell grim disaster in a healthy young cat. They thing is, though, is that while they're not necessarily as bad as feeding something that is loaded with corn and grains as the first ingredients, they're still not that great and for the exact same amount of money you fork over for Eukanuba, you could eassily be feeding a by-product free holistic food.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet recommended Eukanuba Dry Multi-renal stage food. What can you tell me about it? Humble does not like it at all.
He will eat Purina One Urinary tract formula.
What is good? I want to find something that Humble will love.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by batgirl2good

My vet recommended Eukanuba Dry Multi-renal stage food. What can you tell me about it? Humble does not like it at all.
He will eat Purina One Urinary tract formula.
What is good? I want to find something that Humble will love.
I read the ONE UI formula and to me it looked good for a early kidney cat( note I am not a VET) ... It is a grainy food but at least digest is like 9th and there were no meat by products or chemical preservatives... I still suggest a good senior

RXs are great when needed
.. ingrediants may not be thrilling but they are formulated to do a job... Having said that I find purinas RXs and royal canin/ waltham to be better ingrediants and more palatable ...

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I read the ONE UI formula and to me it looked good for a early kidney cat( note I am not a VET) ... It is a grainy food but at least digest is like 9th and there were no meat by products or chemical preservatives... I still suggest a good senior

RXs are great when needed
.. ingrediants may not be thrilling but they are formulated to do a job... Having said that I find purinas RXs and royal canin/ waltham to be better ingrediants and more palatable ...
Humble is in the very, very early stages. He LIKES the Purina One and hates the Eukanuba. I am not sturggling with it.

he will also eat a little Beech Nut baby food, turkey, stage 1.

cutie1515

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
be careful with baby food, make sure it doesn't have onion powder in it, it severley makes the cat anemic (sp). you may already know this, but i just wanted to make sure.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cutie1515

be careful with baby food, make sure it doesn't have onion powder in it, it severley makes the cat anemic (sp). you may already know this, but i just wanted to make sure.
I checked the ingredients. Nothing but turkey and turkey broth.

Thanks for the info, though. I did not know it!

shortstuff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

My opinion about foods like Iams, Science Diet and Eukanuba are that they aren't necessarily going to kill your cat or spell grim disaster in a healthy young cat. They thing is, though, is that while they're not necessarily as bad as feeding something that is loaded with corn and grains as the first ingredients, they're still not that great and for the exact same amount of money you fork over for Eukanuba, you could eassily be feeding a by-product free holistic food.
Hi im a new kitten owner, wait.. Iams is NOT a good choice dry cat food? the shelter actually recommended me this and the ingredients dont have any animal -by-products. i feed my 5 month old kitten iams kitten dry food...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ShortStuff

Hi im a new kitten owner, wait.. Iams is NOT a good choice dry cat food? the shelter actually recommended me this and the ingredients dont have any animal -by-products. i feed my 5 month old kitten iams kitten dry food...
READ the LABEL

Iams contains chicken by products ... which is head, feet, intestine s ,undevelppped eggs ... IT is also HIGH in corn (not a real digestable grain ).. Iams did recently take out the chemical preservatives

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Looks like it does have bi-products.

Ingredients
Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Grits, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid), Corn Meal, Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Dried Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Natural Chicken Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Brewers Dried Yeast, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Inositol, Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate

http://www.iams.com/en_AU/jhtmls/pro...tc=1&lsc=&bsc=

shortstuff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im sorry , wow i was so sure that it didnt have it, this is weird, i just looked at the label and it's all in french or somthing. OK, i guess im switching foods for her. I guess "fraire de sous produits" means some kind of by products..

since i'm going food shopping for her .. what food's good for a kitten?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Im sorry , wow i was so sure that it didnt have it, this is weird, i just looked at the label and it's all in french or somthing. OK, i guess im switching foods for her. I guess "fraire de sous produits" means some kind of by products..

since i'm going food shopping for her .. what food's good for a kitten?
try the otheside panel it should be english

Nutro , Royal canin , Chicken soup , Solid gold are all good for kittens and by product free....

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What would be good for a 6 1/2 year old cat who had surgery to remove bladder stones (cystotomy) and for whom the vet recommended eukanuba multi-renal stage OR Hill's K/D?
Humble hates both but likes Purina One Urinary Health dry.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Midnight was fighting with her kidney disease she ate both the Purina N/F and the Hills K/D. She wasn't a picky eater and would eat both with no problem but I think she preferred the Hills a little more. Bless her heart, I really miss her.

I switched not too long ago to Nutro and feed my cats mainly the dry kibble and they also get a bit of canned Nutro once a week just to change it up a bit. The Nutro has been a big hit with the fuzzies.

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

READ the LABEL

Iams contains chicken by products ... which is head, feet, intestine s ,undevelppped eggs ... IT is also HIGH in corn (not a real digestable grain ).. Iams did recently take out the chemical preservatives
See, that's quite interesting because I'm in the UK, just looked at my bag of Iams kitten and it says nothing about chicken by products. We must get a different formula over here.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wickedkitten

See, that's quite interesting because I'm in the UK, just looked at my bag of Iams kitten and it says nothing about chicken by products. We must get a different formula over here.
Yes the EU does get different ingrediants than the US since your standards are much higher