My fingertips are cracking!

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Two of them and it really hurts. I wear gloves when I do handwash of anything so I'm not abusing them. Does this happen to anyone else? What do you do for it? None of the lotions are helping, not even Neutrogena's concentrated stuff. The only thing that helps is putting on a bandaid ... and having to change it every time I wash my hands. Any ideas? Ow! Ow!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I have luck with Aveeno super dry skin cream during the winter.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd try a cream instead of a lotion. My sister uses them because they moisturize better. Maybe get some cotton gloves and either cream or vasseline and later your hands up at bedtime and put the gloves on.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I'd try a cream instead of a lotion. My sister uses them because they moisturize better. Maybe get some cotton gloves and either cream or vasseline and later your hands up at bedtime and put the gloves on.

My sister has the same problem. Sometimes she has to resort to straight Vaseline inside of gloves at night.

Maybe also try the body butters (they are more of a cream like MoochNNoodles said) rather than regular lotions. They're much thicker and "greasier" for lack of a better word.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try sleeping with lotion all over your hands and put gloves on overnight...seriously, it sounds weird, but it works to keep the moisture in.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At night- slather vasoline (petroleum jelly) all over your hands and put gloves on them. This will drastically help stop the cracking and smooth your skin out. During the daytime, try using a very gentle antibacterial hand lotion (Bath and Body Works has a yummy smelling lotion hand sanatizer in cherry blossom- it will keep your skin moisturized and keep infections out if bacteria gets in the cracks of your skin). Also, the best hand lotion i've found so far is Dionis lotion (they use goats milk in all of their lotions and they're sooooo yummy and gentle on the skin.) their products are natural and extremly reasonably priced!

here's a link

http://www.dionissoap.com/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will try all of your suggestions. Thank you!
(Why wouldn't the multi quote thingy work for me?)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Click the "multi quote option" on all of the people you want to respond to, and then click the "reply" button in the left bottom corner of the screen, not the "quick reply to this message" button beside the "multi quote option" it won't work if you do that

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Also, the best hand lotion i've found so far is Dionis lotion (they use goats milk in all of their lotions and they're sooooo yummy and gentle on the skin.) their products are natural and extremly reasonably priced!

here's a link

http://www.dionissoap.com/
Just placed an order: Hand lotion (sugar hollow spice) and unscented moisturizer; also body wash and another lotion from the sale section, both albermarle pippin.

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Click the "multi quote option" on all of the people you want to respond to, and then click the "reply" button in the left bottom corner of the screen, not the "quick reply to this message" button beside the "multi quote option" it won't work if you do that
Thanks!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phat Locani

Just placed an order: Hand lotion (sugar hollow spice) and unscented moisturizer; also body wash and another lotion from the sale section, both albermarle pippin.
Awesome! I hope you like their products as much as i do!
I have very dry skin, so i've found that their products are extremly gentle and moisturize very well
(by the way, the sugar hollow spice smells yummy
- you're gonna love that one!)

Thanks!
no problem

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vaseline isn't absorbed by the skin, but it does seal in moisture. I recommend getting a heavy-duty hand moisturizer, slathering it on your hands, then adding a layer of vaseline over that and putting gloves on. It works really well for me.

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LoveMyBabies

Vaseline isn't absorbed by the skin, but it does seal in moisture. I recommend getting a heavy-duty hand moisturizer, slathering it on your hands, then adding a layer of vaseline over that and putting gloves on. It works really well for me.
I could put the vaseline over the Neutrogena concentrate. Now I need a cotton glove .... uno momento! I have some lightweight cotton gardening gloves!
Okay, gonna give that a try at bedttime. Thanks!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I could put the vaseline over the Neutrogena concentrate. Now I need a cotton glove .... uno momento! I have some lightweight cotton gardening gloves!
Okay, gonna give that a try at bedttime. Thanks!
Sounds weird, but if you don't have cotton gloves, you can put a pair of white cotton socks on your hands as "mittens" instead

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Sounds weird, but if you don't have cotton gloves, you can put a pair of white cotton socks on your hands as "mittens" instead
Not weird! I did the glove last night and they were a little better today. I'll do the sock tonight. Probably won't get so much rubbed off.
Thanks!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not weird! I did the glove last night and they were a little better today. I'll do the sock tonight. Probably won't get so much rubbed off.
Thanks!
No problem!
I hope your hands get to feeling better soon
/ Be sure to put some neosporin/polysporin in the deep cracked skin so that it does not get infected if it cracks even more. / Now that you're conditioning them every night, they should be in great shape in no time!