cat with claws vs cat without claws

3cats1dog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a stray that has all his claws intact. I have 2 other cats that do not have front claws (I adopted them that way). I have not introduced my new one to the others yet. Is there going to be serious problems? I don't want my 2 cats always feeling bullied or scared. If this is a problem I know of someone who would like to adopt my newest one. Am I worrying too soon on what might happen?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You shouldn't have a problem with having clawed and un-clawed cats. I would make it a point to keep the clawed cat's nails trimmed. We clip our kitties' paws about every 10 days to 2 weeks. If you haven't trimmed a kitty's nails before there is some information on how to do it in these forums. It can be awkward at first but gets easier with practice.

We make a point of touching and playing with our cats' paws to get them used to being handled which makes it much easier to trim the claws when we have to do it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think there will be any problem as long as the cats aren't relaly mean toward each other. I brought a declawed cat in a home with 7 clawed cats and guess who the alpha kitty was? The declawed one and she kept everyone in line!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one of each and have had no problems. My clawed kitty knows when to use and not use her claws and she's not scratched my declawed kitty once. (The declawed kitty came to me already declawed on the front.) We make an effort to keep everyone's nails clipped to help prevent any clawing accidents, and we provide scratching posts and mats.

I don't think you'll have anything to worry about, but Keep an eye on things just to make sure.

Stephanie

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one front declawed kitty & 4 clawed kitties. The declawed kitty is alpha cat. If you are worried about it, you can try putting soft paws (www.softpaws.com) on the clawed kitty until everyone learns their place in you home!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

You shouldn't have a problem with having clawed and un-clawed cats. I would make it a point to keep the clawed cat's nails trimmed. We clip our kitties' paws about every 10 days to 2 weeks. If you haven't trimmed a kitty's nails before there is some information on how to do it in these forums. It can be awkward at first but gets easier with practice.

We make a point of touching and playing with our cats' paws to get them used to being handled which makes it much easier to trim the claws when we have to do it.
you also might consider using soft claws on your clawed cat, but that's more for you & the furniture than the other cats. i have 2 clawed, 2 declawed, & it doesn't seem to make a difference to them at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3cats1dog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I feel reassured that things will go well.