Apartment Dwellers this is for you!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much is your rent (if you don't mind telling us) and how many square ft do you have (if you know)?

I have been looking at apartments and have no idea what a good price is if it hit me in the face!

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We pay $660 a month for a two bedroom townhome that is about 900 square feet. We even have a small " backyard" with a privacy fence, some grass, and a concrete patio. We got a $20 discount for my being a student and free gas. We love it here. Common rent in this area is from 300 for a one bedroom to a couple of grand for a super fancy place that looks like an expensive condo. Average rent for a two bedroom is in the 600 range. I live in northern Indiana. Checkout rent.com to see prices and visit as many complexes as you can. Rent.com will actually send you a visa gift card for $100, if you rent through them. They really do this- it's a great perk! You really should see and compare as many places as you can. Prices really vary depending on the area of town. We feel very safe here. We have a tiny gym in the main office, a pool, a dog park, and super efficient maintenance.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom and I pay almost $400.00 a month for a nice two bedroom / one bath duplex. Maybe you could look at duplex prices too- they are often more spacious than apartments, and cheaper or around the same price
/ I LOVE our duplex except the neighbors and the neighborhood. other than that though, it's perfect for my mom and I.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a townhouse (2 stories) 2 bedroom, 1.5 baths, in apartment washer/dryer, dishwasher, paid gas & water (and everything that can be gas is like the stove and heat), central AC, fitness room, outdoor pool and several other ammenities. It's said to be 870sf, it's newly remodeled and we pay $680 a month. If we'd gone w/ the older non-remodled our rent would have only been $650 but it's totally worth it for the new fixtures and things.

http://www.apartmentguide.com/Proper...tingid_2_15092

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It has been a few yrs but in Omaha my one bedroom was $515 and about 600 sq ft

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay...prepare to be shocked if you're not familiar with Los Angeles rent prices. Ours is CHEAP for our neighborhood.

We pay $1100.00 a month for a small one bedroom with hardwood floors. No luxuries. Street parking. Garbage disposal. Window air unit in bedroom. Gas heat. Old plumbing.

I know someone renting a small house in Santa Monica that's more like $3500-$4000 a month I think. I can't wait to leave this city. Too expensive...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

Okay...prepare to be shocked if you're not familiar with Los Angeles rent prices. Ours is CHEAP for our neighborhood.

We pay $1100.00 a month for a small one bedroom with hardwood floors. No luxuries. Street parking. Garbage disposal. Window air unit in bedroom. Gas heat. Old plumbing.

I know someone renting a small house in Santa Monica that's more like $3500-$4000 a month I think. I can't wait to leave this city. Too expensive...
Yep I am shocked! I know its expensive there but that is more ethan my mortgage for almost 2000 sq ft. of house!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes! You all pay WAY to much for your rent as far as I'm concerned. We rent our one bedroom house, for $300.00 and they pay all utilities. I'm not sure how big sq footage it is. Sorry, all I know is it's not very big. reminds me of a cottage that you'd rent on a lake, only a little bigger. It's got a HUGE basement that we could refinish if we wanted to and make it a two bedroom house, but it would take LOTS of money we don't have.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea how many sq. feet our apartment is -(how do you figure that anyways?
) but we have a 1 bedroom apartment, dining room, large living room, storage room, open kitchen with island, TONS of storage space, bathroom, garbage disposale, A/C, and a deck/patio on the back. We pay $455.00 a month, but they pay all of our utilities - we pay our heat/electric and its only about $60 a month for that. Its a really great place, the best in town actually - really quiet and peaceful, no young college kids running around!

There are places bigger with cheaper rent, but they aren't really good places to live - I'd rather pay the extra money for a better place!

Good luck with your search Brandi!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your best bet is to thruoughly research all apartment homes in your area. I looked long and hard before I decided to move where we did.
Originally Posted by esrgirl

I live in northern Indiana.
Can I ask where about Northern IN you live?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I gotta tell ya, alot of you are paying dirt cheap prices for your apartments, well, except Emily!

When my exhusband and I lived in Hawaii 20 some odd years ago, back then we paid $750 a month for a one room studio.............now I know it was Hawaii and that's why it was so expensive, but geees! We got into military housing as soon as we could!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You don't even want to know what I pay for my apartment. Let's just say, it's more than anyone else here, and chances are I make less money than any of you. I'm hoping I can move to Florida soon. Los Angeles is becoming insane with the rents.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

You don't even want to know what I pay for my apartment. Let's just say, it's more than anyone else here, and chances are I make less money than any of you. I'm hoping I can move to Florida soon. Los Angeles is becoming insane with the rents.
Yeah, you live in a nice area Hope. It's probably insane. The apartment buildings on either side of us are a whole lot more. We're cheaper because the building is pretty old and theres no parking.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pay $800 a month for a 425 square foot 2 room+ galley kitchen studio/convertible. And one of those rooms is 8x10, which fits a bed and a nightstand. And nothing else.

If you see that, that is a bbbaaaaaad price, unless you live where I live, and then it's pretty cheap, especially considering that heat is included in the rent.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know the square footage (if that's even a word ... I think I've decided that it is
), but our apartment is a one-bedroom with biiiig rooms, high ceilings and access to a decent-sized backyard. We pay $675; utilities are included, except for cable TV, Internet and telephone, of course. We live in a university town where the cost of living is a bit higher (not as bad as Toronto or Vancouver, though), so although $675 sounds like a lot, compared to other places in this city it's a bargain. I used to pay $485 to live in a bachelor apartment that was in the basement of somebody's house, with a heavy-footed bulldog and a screaming toddler overhead. Before that, I paid $350 for a single room in a home shared by three loud, obnoxious men who ate my food, left loaded guns lying around, and for one whole month, we had no heat and no hot water (I moved in with my then-boyfriend, now-fiance for that month and refused to pay rent -- it turned out our landlord/roommate had "forgotten" to pay the gas bill so the gas was cut off!
).

So, ummm, yeah. $675 is a bargain.

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm paying $940 for a 1 bedroom about 25 miles outside of Boston. You don't want to know what they get in the city. I have water included and the heat is electric (and without a thermostat or a timer), which costs a fortune in the winter.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the deal we pay $650 for 750 square feet. Included is free heat, water, gated access, and parking. BUT... it's still crappy. BEFORE you move check out this website: http://www.apartmentratings.com/ . You may end up paying more, but it's really worth it if you get a nice place to live. I'd be wiling to increase my rent to get things fixed on time.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the apartment is about 850 square feet, but I really don't know - it isn't on my lease. I have 5 small rooms (2 bedrooms,) a tiny bathroom, and a small room in the basement for laundry and storage.

I pay $1,100 per month, plus utilities.

Living in the Northeast can be ridiculously expensive - but my apartment is inexpensive, relatively speaking! In my area, it isn't unheard of to pay $2,000 a month for a one-bedroom, "luxury" apartment!

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rents vary in Toronto depending on how close you are to downtown and local amenities. When we owned our condo downtown, we could have easily rented it out for $1100 (1 bedroom, includes utilities, no parking and it was 730 sq.ft).

Here is an ad for an apartment in a new building right downtown:

Bachelor apartment (240 sq ft!) up to $755. See more here: --->Click Here

In my area that I currently live in now, 30 minutes north of downtown, you will still easily pay $800-$1200 plus utilities for a 2 bedroom apartment. These apartments are usually found in a house, where they rent out a portion of it.

Basement apartments or apartments in older buildings with less amenities, of course, will be cheaper.