TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Reeses is sick again :(
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reeses is sick again :(

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Some of you may have read my posts about Reeses and how she was throwing up starting on Thanksgiving week. We had changed her food the Tuesday before Thanksgiving because she wasn't eating much, thinking she just didn't like it. It turns out that was a result of her being in heat. As soon as we changed the food she threw up on Wednesday & Friday. We went to see the vet on Friday and she had a slight fever (102.8) and was dehydrated a bit. She was given fluids and Amoxi-Drops and all was fine the rest of Friday & Saturday. Sunday she threw up twice, first some liquid and then some food later in the day (she threw up food every other time too).

On Monday I believe it was, I put her back on her old food because they thought also the quick change in her food may not be agreeing with her. Monday - Wednesday was fine with no problems and we dropped her off Wed. night to get spayed. Thursday she came home and was of course tired and lethargic for a bit. Friday morning she threw up food immediately after eating and the vet said that was normal as she had surgery just a day before. I waited a few hours, gave her more food and she she fine for the rest of the day but she threw up Saturday night. Yesterday (Sunday) was fine, but then this morning (Monday) she threw up food again. So I took her back to the vet (and another $80 later) and while her fever had gone down by the time she was spayed, it was back again, this time 103.2, but she wasn't dehdrayted.

SO, I got sent home with Amoxi-Drops again, and the vet took some blood for a CBC test because she thinks it may be a rare feline virus. Reeses acts fine, her eyes look good, her fur is alittle dull, and she has lost alittle weight (went from 7lbs to 6.10 in 3 weeks), but other than that only the throwing up is any sign that anything is wrong. I will hear back from her tomorrow and I really hope that they find what the problem is. If they don't find it through that test, there is another they'll have to do at $75.

I want her to get better obviously for her, but also because this is getting expensive. Since her very first vet visit and her spay we've spent $600 already. I don't feel bad for getting her the care she needs, but at what point do you draw the line? I can't keep spending $80 a week for vet visits, anti-biotics and whatever else. She needs to get better eventually
post #2 of 17
I hate to say this but.....is it possible she also has allergies to different foods? Although she is running a temp and that I don't believe that is allergies, there has got to be something then can do to settle her stomach and break this cycle.

I feel so badly for you and your baby. This is simply NOT fun. Please get well headbuts and soooothing, calming tummy licks from KittenKiya's Clan.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
The first food I ever gave her was Purina Cat Chow Indoor Cat Formula. The whole time she was initially on that she never got sick. Then she stopped eating after she went into heat and I thought it was the food, so I got her Purina Deli Cat because it was a similar food to the extra her original owner gave us. She got sick almost daily after having that as I said above. So, I put her back on the Cat Chow and she stopped getting sick until the day after she came back from getting spayed, so I don't think it is that either. It may not have even been the Deli Cat making her sick at the time, she may have just coincidentally started getting sick then when her fever started, and stopped when it started getting better.

Who knows. Because her fur is duller and she is losing weight a bit, I'm thinking it's not a food allergy and her actually being sick as well.
post #4 of 17
Well, the dull fur and losing weight needs to be looked at, no doubt at all.

I tried that Deli Cat but my cats threw up on it too. There is something in the coloring of the food or something......even my ferals threw up on it and they eat everything. (literally).

I don't know if this is good advice since your baby is losing weight, but I wonder if you skip one meal, just leave lots of water out, just to rest her tummy and then put her back on the Indoor formula and see if that works.

Again, the weight loss and dull fur needs to be addressed as soon as possible.
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC View Post
I want her to get better obviously for her, but also because this is getting expensive. Since her very first vet visit and her spay we've spent $600 already. I don't feel bad for getting her the care she needs, but at what point do you draw the line? I can't keep spending $80 a week for vet visits, anti-biotics and whatever else. She needs to get better eventually
only you can make that decision. when Mouse got ill, i basically made the decision to spend up to $2000, because that was the limit on the credit card, which was the only way i could pay for her treatment. she passed before i got to that limit.
post #6 of 17
I don't know what to say, other than that I am praying for your cat.
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenKiya View Post
Well, the dull fur and losing weight needs to be looked at, no doubt at all.

I tried that Deli Cat but my cats threw up on it too. There is something in the coloring of the food or something......even my ferals threw up on it and they eat everything. (literally).

I don't know if this is good advice since your baby is losing weight, but I wonder if you skip one meal, just leave lots of water out, just to rest her tummy and then put her back on the Indoor formula and see if that works.

Again, the weight loss and dull fur needs to be addressed as soon as possible.
Well it is addressed because she went to the vet, so she's aware of it. I actually put her on the indoor formula again last week some time. She didn't start the vomiting again until the day after her spay.

She threw up again last night, once again, food. I even took away her food dish so she couldn't eat anything at night. We gave her the amoxi this morning and just now, about an hour later, I gave her a tiny bit of food. Hopefully she can keep that down.

I should hear from the vet today about her CBC results.
post #8 of 17
A couple of thoughts you might want to pass by your vet. One is that the antibiotics may be unsettling her stomach so she just continues to throw up. The second is maybe putting her on an antacid. We've had problems with Much throwing up sometimes two/three times a week. After discussing it with the vet, he thought that the Metacam was upsetting her stomach and put her on a quarter of a 10mg Pepcid tablet. She hasn't been throwing up for the last three weeks.
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katachtig View Post
A couple of thoughts you might want to pass by your vet. One is that the antibiotics may be unsettling her stomach so she just continues to throw up. The second is maybe putting her on an antacid. We've had problems with Much throwing up sometimes two/three times a week. After discussing it with the vet, he thought that the Metacam was upsetting her stomach and put her on a quarter of a 10mg Pepcid tablet. She hasn't been throwing up for the last three weeks.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. When she was on anti-biotics last week when she had the first fever she was on them from Friday - Wed. and she only threw up once on Sunday.

She ate a bit this morning, hopefully she keeps it down. It's hard to have a "vomit" time frame because sometimes she'll eat and vomit right away and sometimes she'll eat and not vomit until 8 hours later.
post #10 of 17
I'll be thinking of you and your kitty. Hope she gets better soon.
post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaS View Post
I'll be thinking of you and your kitty. Hope she gets better soon.
Thank you.

The vet called and said the CBC came back pretty much normal. Of course I didn't understand all the technical stuff but her white blood cell count I think she said was a bit high but nothing that worries her or she thinks has anything to do with this. She wants to keep her on the Amoxi for a while and see if that helps, if not, she wants to try Prednizone if she has some sort of inflamation.

Not 15 minutes later, Reeses vomited what food she ate this morning and her amoxi all over my wife's papers on our computer desk. I called again and I'm waiting to hear back.

I don't know what else to do. We can't have her puking all over the house and then eating more when we're not home, as opposed to if she vomits and we're here we can take away the food. And she needs to eat, she is looking a bit thinner and went from 7lbs to 6.10 over the span of 3 weeks.
post #12 of 17
i don't know if the vet covered this or not. but maybe reeses is allergic to the amoxi. one of my cats (raven) is allergic to clavamox. he will do what you are describing reeses doing. he throws up, loses appetite, etc. maybe they could swich her to a different antibiotic?
post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleraven7726 View Post
i don't know if the vet covered this or not. but maybe reeses is allergic to the amoxi. one of my cats (raven) is allergic to clavamox. he will do what you are describing reeses doing. he throws up, loses appetite, etc. maybe they could swich her to a different antibiotic?
She was throwing up before they put her on amoxi both times, that's why we had the initial appointment to have her put on anti-biotics. They found that she had a fever and that may have been why she was throwing up, so they put her on amoxi.

She doesn't have loss of appetite anymore. That was only temporary while she was in heat. She doesn't eat alot all at once either, she nibbles more throughout the day.
post #14 of 17
Something else I thought of with Much. We finally had to go to injecting her antibiotics because pills and liquids came up about 10-30 minutes after we gave them to her.
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
You personally had to inject them every day?

Well the vet is going to run a FIP test and hopefully it comes back negative. She also gave Reeses prednizone because she thinks it may be an inflamatory bowel disease problem. We gave her that and her Amoxi 3 hours ago and she ate afterwards. Not alot, but a small amount atleast. I took the rest away for the night just to see. So far so good *crosses fingers*
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC View Post
You personally had to inject them every day?

Well the vet is going to run a FIP test and hopefully it comes back negative. She also gave Reeses prednizone because she thinks it may be an inflamatory bowel disease problem. We gave her that and her Amoxi 3 hours ago and she ate afterwards. Not alot, but a small amount atleast. I took the rest away for the night just to see. So far so good *crosses fingers*
My husband used to be an EMT so we lucked out there. It was unfortunately our only option of keeping the meds in her.

I'm sending calm stomach vibes to little Reeses.
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
So far so good. She ate a small amount last night at 5:30pm and its 5am now (she's being a PIA tonight, getting into everything and I can't sleep) and so far she hasn't vomited. Gotta give her the Pred and Amoxi when my wife wakes up in a half hour. Hopefully she doesn't throw up today at all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Reeses is sick again :(