Catnip is illegal now?!

livedeeply

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I heard this on the local news this morning, but can't find anything about it online other than this sarcastic article:
http://www.progress.org/2006/fold483.htm

If this is true, I am soooo mad.

Edit: I am not joking, or trying to fool anyone. I am completely serious. It was on the radio. More details in my post on page 2.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by livedeeply

I heard this on the local news this morning, but can't find anything about it online other than this sarcastic article:
http://www.progress.org/2006/fold483.htm

If this is true, I am soooo mad.
I am going to be mad all day long just thinking about this being possible. And my wife likes to sit along side me and apply fingernail polish and I swear it makes me high. So, let's outlaw fingernail polish while we are at it.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What local news?

No offense, but this being your first post I'm inclined to believe it's a good-natured joke.

Is it?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, it sounds very tongue-in-cheek to me. I don't think this is for real AT ALL.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally don't think its real. I surfed through the site a bit to see what the online press was about, but couldn't find a section dedicated to who they are.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah just be careful if you plant it in your garden... That stuff SPREADS! :p
Oh yeah it also attracts every cat in the city, heh... My dogs repel most of them though.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a funny to me. Duke HATES catnip! He swats at it and if I'm holding him he'll try to crawl around me to get away from it. This is the fresh stuff though. We grow it in our back yard (put a ring of stones around it to keep it from spreading). Its a weed in the mint family. We also 'grow' spearmint. Now THAT stuff grows wild! And Duke seems to like it more anyway

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah we have spearmint in our front garden... It's started taking up more and more space each year, in a bigger and bigger circle...
We also have regular mint in the herb garden on the opposite end as the catnip. The regular mint spread the worst of the three. It's actually been there ever since I can remember even though for years we didn't actually have a real garden there and just ignore it, it still survived and now that we have been gardening there it's really thriving. The funny thing is this last year the catnip has started smelling more minty and the mint is smelling more musty like catnip!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

livedeeply

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I am NOT kidding.

I AM COMPLETELY SERIOUS.

Why would I doubt it was real right there in the post if I was trying to fool people? That's pretty dumb. No, I swear to God, I heard it.

It was on the 5-9 am radio morning show on WFLA newschannel here in Tampa, FL. Their website says nothing about it if you search for "catnip," though. I'm going to call them tomorrow morning and see what I can find out.

My entire family was there listening, and we looked at each other in horror.

livedeeply

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*bump*

I'm posting this here because I figured that if anyone knew, it would be you guys. (I've been a member here before but don't remember my login.)

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty tongue in cheek article. Trust me, if this were true, the pet industry magazines and lists for folks in the pet retail business would be busy talking about it. I mean it would be BAD news for me ;-)

livedeeply

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I slept through the show this morning, grr. But I wrote them an email.

On Monday, I heard you say something rather shocking, so I'm writing to find out if it's true.

You mentioned that catnip had been made illegal. The only webpage I could find on this topic seems to be meant as satire. I'm going crazy, here. Is the ban true, or not? Was there a reliable source? Hundreds of my cat owner friends online are holding their breath waiting to find out from you.

Thanks,

If anyone else wants to ask, the webpage is here:
http://www.970wfla.com/pages/local_amtampabay.html
No mention of it there either! Augh.
But believe me, they said it. I wouldn't be freaking out this much if I'd only seen it online. Seems like a news station would have to know what they were doing.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It reminds me of that scene in Shrek 2 where Shrek, Donkey & Puss in Boots are getting chased by the cops, and Puss gets caught, the cop pulls out a bag that looks like pot, but is supposed to be catnip "..and what is this?" "Uh, that's not mine".

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

Yeah just be careful if you plant it in your garden... That stuff SPREADS! :p
Oh yeah it also attracts every cat in the city, heh... My dogs repel most of them though.
Sure does! I planted some in the spring and by the next day there was the hole where the catnip was. Some neighborhood cat ran off with it!