Lease question

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need some other perspectives on this. My lease for next year (starting Feb 1) is due this week. We have a lot of false fire alarms in the building, which is a problem. Last night there was another alarm, but it wasn't false. Someone went and turned on the fire hoses stored on the 3rd floor and flooded the center stairwell down to the ground level. (Thankfully no apartments were flooded and no one was hurt.) Before this happened I was inclined to ask if I could have a 3 to 6 month extension while I prepare to purchase a house. I don't see one being done and closed in 2 months. Now I'm thinking of not renewing and moving to the cat friendly complex up the street that's more than willing to do a short-term lease. I really don't like the upheaval of moving twice but I really don't feel safe. What would you do?

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it will be less of a headache in the long run move up the street. It may be a pain to move twice but if it means no false alarms, more cat friendly then I would do it. You never know how long it could take you to find your dream home.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would move too because purchasing a house can sometimes take a long time.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister ended her lease when she thought her house was going to close... well, there ended up being some problems (not on her end) and to make a long story short, she ended up being basically homeless (staying at friends' and family) for a whole summer and finally moving back into her old building but in the basement in a tiny apartment while she closed on the house she's in now.

If you can move somewhere that will do short-term leases, do it. That way you can always extend it a few months over if you need to, and feel safer.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bob'sMom

I really don't like the upheaval of moving twice but I really don't feel safe. What would you do?
You answered your own question. If you don't feel safe where you are living, then move somewhere else

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, I would move.

I lived someplace that I did not feel safe living in. Needless to say within 2 months I was GONE!

My advice is to unpack only the things you need and leave everything else packed, like Gail and Jcat said. Also I do believe you're entitled to call the local police department and ask them a few questions about the complex you're moving to. Find out how many calls they have been out there for and for what reasons.