So sick of my house smelling like cat s****!!

sarathan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've just had it, I'm seriously thinking about letting these cats go outside. My house constantly smells like cat poo and I can't take it anymore. I scoop their litter enough, that's not the problem. When they poop, it stinks up the entire house, it doesn't take long. I can't use scented litter (which actually does a decent job of controlling the smell) because it makes them sneeze to much. I'm embarassed to have friends/family come visit because of the smell. I'm sick of smelling it myself, it's disgusting. I'm just DONE!!!

No need to respond, I'm just having a tantrum and needed to vent.
Sorry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarathan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Just a quick question
What do you feed them?
I've been feeding them the Costco cat food, which is a recent change. Before that I was feeding them Nutro Natual Choice. Now that I think about it, the litter box has gotten MUCH stinkier since I switched...do you think that could be part of the problem?? If so, I'll take the rest of that Costco bag and throw it in the garbage right this second, LOL! Thanks!!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarathan

do you think that could be part of the problem?? Thanks!!
It can be a big part to the problem. I don't know how much you pay for their food, but i find that if you feed them a good quality food they don't smell as much.

We have a saying over here " You get what you pay for ", in other words, if you buy a cheaper brand of food, you get more animal parts in it

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarathan

I've been feeding them the Costco cat food, which is a recent change. Before that I was feeding them Nutro Natual Choice. Now that I think about it, the litter box has gotten MUCH stinkier since I switched...do you think that could be part of the problem?? If so, I'll take the rest of that Costco bag and throw it in the garbage right this second, LOL! Thanks!!
Yes, I do think that that could be a part of it!
It really is amazing how a higher quality food can reduce litter box odour!

Don't throw it away though! I am sure that a local rescue group would be grateful for the donation!

sarathan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

It can be a big part to the problem. I don't know how much you pay for their food, but i find that if you feed them a good quality food they don't smell as much.

We have a saying over here " You get what you pay for ", in other words, if you buy a cheaper brand of food, you get more animal parts in it
I agree, and the Costco food is quite a bit cheaper than the Nutro. I thought it was good quality since the first two ingredients are chicken and chicken meal, but maybe not?? I do know the Nutro is good stuff so maybe I'll switch back to that. All I know is I have to do something about the smell or I'm going to lose my mind.

sarathan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Yes, I do think that that could be a part of it!
It really is amazing how a higher quality food can reduce litter box odour!

Don't throw it away though! I am sure that a local rescue group would be grateful for the donation!
Thanks for the suggestion, I definitely won't throw it away.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also suggest you get your vet to do a fecal on them and check for worms, or possibly a mild case of giardia.
Both of those issues can cause smelly BMs too.

sarathan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I would also suggest you get your vet to do a fecal on them and check for worms, or possibly a mild case of giardia.
Both of those issues can cause smelly BMs too.
Good idea, thanks!

purefusion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To help with the odor problem, use baking soda. I keep a partially open box near the litter pan, which absorbs odors just like in the refridgerator. I also keep another box nearby in order to add the powder directly into the litter. I buy odor-control litter but it still doesn't mask the poo smell. Adding the baking soda really helps cut down on the lingering odors. Doesn't matter how much you add, just whatever you're comfortable with. I do about two tablespoons (no, I don't measure) for a small pan. Very simple, very cheap, and effective.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd change the food and the cat litter.

My girl Gizmo used to let some mighty stinks when she used her box. Turns out she's allergic to chicken. Now that she's eating rabbit, the poo doesn't smell nearly as bad, and the smell dissipates almost immediately since I use Nature's Miracle litter (it is better on pee than on poo; the pee does not smell at all).

Other brands of litter may also do well at eliminating the smells; this is just the one I found worked best.

The dietary change is a must. Your kits are having a reaction to the food. Try a new protein source; duck or venison or rabbit instead of chicken. Turns out chicken is a common allergen for cats.

Oh, and a light lavender spray (natural only) can eliminate the room smell and won't annoy the cat. Above all else, avoid perfumed litter!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would go back to the Nutro .... it is likely the other has something they react too... I have one girl who stink s up on chn but not rabbit or fish ...

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that I recently switched from hills Z/D food (low allergen) to Natural Balance's Venison & Green Pea formula.....and let me tell you, when Bella goes, I can't even stay in there to scoop it up right away. I have to leave the room for awhile. To quote another post I saw on this forum once...."she can peel paint off the wall!"

On a side note.....I would have thought that just like in humans, if you eat healthier food, your bowels movements will smell more. I discussed this with my mom and she agreed with me that Bella's stool would smell more since she is on a much healtier food.

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have my cats on Nutro too. Their poops are not so bad. I also have this thing called a odor absorbing sponge, in comes in a jar-it doesn't have a fragance of its own it just absorbs the smells. Worth a try.

Cynthia

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am currently use Arm and Hammer, the unscented kind, and what I do is I coat the bottom of the litter pan in baking soda before I put the litter in. THis seems to help a lot.

Also, if you're willing to look into diet change...a top-quality wet food, believe it or not, will lead to the cleanest-smelling box.

sarathan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your replies! I will definitely switch back to Nutro and maybe look into a high quality wet food. I'm intrigued by the link in Rick Nadeau's post.

And if anyone was wondering, no, I really won't be letting my kitties outside. But there are days when I sure fantasize about it, lol.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

I am currently use Arm and Hammer, the unscented kind, and what I do is I coat the bottom of the litter pan in baking soda before I put the litter in. THis seems to help a lot.

Also, if you're willing to look into diet change...a top-quality wet food, believe it or not, will lead to the cleanest-smelling box.
Wet if it is the RIGHT one( one peels walls with chn and fish combined while the other has no smell from same can
...will be less but raw is the least