please help, I think Izzy is depressed!

bunnybee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is almost one year old. As a kitten he was super playful and active, and this summer spent alot of time outside playing with the neighbor cats and chasing grasshoppers. Recently, its been quite cold here, and he hardly ever wants to go outside anymore. He sleeps all day. I dont think he is sick because he has been eating a ton, and is actually a bit overweight. I try to play with him and get him to go outside, but usually he's not interested. Is there anything else I can try?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunnybee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do not have a cat tree but I have some toys, but he isnt very interested in playing with them.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe a check up at the vet to make sure your cat isn't sick. Indoor cats have much healthier lives and don't have the dangers that outdoor cats have. If he wants to be indoors that isn't such a bad thing.

hrp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

Maybe a check up at the vet to make sure your cat isn't sick. Indoor cats have much healthier lives and don't have the dangers that outdoor cats have. If he wants to be indoors that isn't such a bad thing.
A 10 year life outside is more quality than a slow, boring 20 year life inside.

In my opinion, of course

bunnybee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by reddicequeen

do your circumstances allow you to get him a buddy?
hi, thanks for answering everyone, I was thinking about that too! He does have a tendancy to be a "bully" at times and pounce on other cats. But that is a great idea. Especially if my neighbors with the cats move out, which they may soon.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What type of toys does he have? If they are only balls and fur mice, they are 'dead prey'. They won't interest him. They don't move. He has to sort of push them around.

If you get a toy on a string (Da Bird, Cat Charmer, Cat Dancer) or make one yourself, and play with Izzy, chances are he'll want to play with YOU, not the toy. It will give him something to chase and someone to match wits against.

You might also try a laser pointer but be sure not to aim it at his eyes.

As for outdoor-indoor, most outdoor cats won't live to be old in this country, and you can read all sorts of horror stories about car accidents, heartworm, ringworm, and animal (and people) attacks on this forum. Keep him indoors and keep him active!

My little cat is much more active in cold weather and happily runs all over the hall and around the coffee table and onto the sofa chasing her 'mouse on a string'.

mrshaggis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Boots is an outdoor cat - in summer! Now that Winter is coming he doesn't go out nearly as much. So we just entertain him at home! He does go out on the odd occassion but not everyday like summertime.

So, I don't think Izzy is depressed he probably just wants to stay inside in the warmth.

bunnybee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by MrsHaggis

Boots is an outdoor cat - in summer! Now that Winter is coming he doesn't go out nearly as much. So we just entertain him at home! He does go out on the odd occassion but not everyday like summertime.

So, I don't think Izzy is depressed he probably just wants to stay inside in the warmth.
It's good to know Izzy is not the only one! I think that he is just more nocturnal these days too as he does enjoy going out at night sometimes, but sleeps all day, usually on top of the refridgerator where it is toasty warm! Thanks for your reply