UTI or bacterial infection?

dmrotz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Angel, was given meds to treat a UTI back on Oct 28th for 2 weeks (no urine sample, but was peeing blood). I took her back in about a week ago for a recheck and this time they did get a urine sample. They said she had a really bad Bacterial infection. She said something about her urine was very concetrated so she wasn't sure if the bacteria is from the bladder or kidneys. This time she is suppose to be on meds for 3 weeks (even though they only gave me enough for 2) and I am suppose to bring her back before she is done with her med for another urine check. Apparently this should tell her where the bateria is coming from.

I am just confused about all this. I asked about a special diet and she said that it wasn't necessary right now. So does any of this sound normal to you? I don't know what I should be asking the vet at this point. Any help would be really appriciated!!

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, so very sorry about Angel, this must be so difficult for the both of you.

It is important that meds be given for the prescribed amount of time.

Why did they say that she had a bacterial infection? Did they run a test on her urine at the office?

dr. doolittle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You should call your veterinarian and ask them when they want to see her back next. A bad urinary tract infection will sometimes ascend to the kidneys- this could be what your veterinarian in worried about. If your cats urine pH was normal no diet change is necessary. Diet is generally used when a cat cannot maintain an appropriate urine pH (6.5).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dmrotz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

It is important that meds be given for the prescribed amount of time.

Why did they say that she had a bacterial infection? Did they run a test on her urine at the office?
The vet did run a test at the office after the first rounds of Clavamox (from the UTI). That is when she said she has the bacterial infection. She took the Clavamox pills for 2 weeks (which was prescribed), then they gave us the liquid form and said she need to take if for 3 weeks. They only gave us 2 weeks worth of liquid, so I need to call to get more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dmrotz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle

You should call your veterinarian and ask them when they want to see her back next. A bad urinary tract infection will sometimes ascend to the kidneys- this could be what your veterinarian in worried about. If your cats urine pH was normal no diet change is necessary. Diet is generally used when a cat cannot maintain an appropriate urine pH (6.5).
They want to see her in about a week and a half from now, right before she is done with her meds. Thank for the info about the ph, that is probally why the vet said no special diet at this time.

I am just so worried about what could be wrong with her. In the 5 yrs we had her, she has never been sick! It wasn't until I noticed the bloody urine that she even showed any signs of being sick.