Does your cat get along with your dog

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girls are always loving on one another and heres the kicker Tavia is a cat and Lilly is a dog and I have heard people say that dogs and cats are natural enemies but any dog I have ever had besides dad's dog who we didn't get till she was grown has always gotten along with my cats. And with Tavia and Lilly its not uncommon to find them snuggled together I have a cousin who swears that they just tolerate one another but I truly think they love one another. When Tavia is in bed and Lilly gets up there Lilly has to stop to give Tavia kisses and they play together and sleep together. And I was wondering if your cats and dogs get along with one another or truly love each other?

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have alway's had Basset Hounds and Zoie loves the kitties when the girls we real small she used to try and et them by her tummy like they were going to nurse
Sometimes I know she feels like she's walking around in a land mine here beings that there's 8 to 1, but she wouldn't hurt them, they do swat at her once in awhile though, I wouldn't have a dog that couldn't get along with the cats

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it really depends on the breed of dog. Breeds that are prone to chasing smaller animals, usually don't do as well with cats. My chihuahua gets along great with my cats, but my german shepherds I really don't trust around the cats alone.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nunuk is at the mercy of the cats. The groom him, clean his ears etc. if he tries to move they smack him to lay down again. He's 115lbs and gets bossed around by them all.

When I fill his water bowl he stands in line behind Spalding, who always wants the first sip.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words:

this one is of fosters (mine and colin's dog) and of pirazzi, one of the foster kittens. all of the kittens LOVE fosters and sleep with him all the time and think he's their daddy- they do wonderfull around each other

I also have an 11 yr old wolf / german shepherd dog /elkhound mix named Ginger at my house with my four little girls- they all get along quite well and even nap in the same spots in the house- I would say that cats and dogs can get along just fine, depending on the individual cats and dogs attitudes. I definitely would not put a seasoned hunting dog (one that hunts smaller prey) with a small cat- that is just not a good idea. I have two large dogs....Fosters is a Collie/ Australian Shep. mix and Ginger's momma was full blooded wolf (her dad was a german shepherd dog/ norwegian elkhound mix) ....many people would think these dogs might be aggressive towards smaller animals such as cats and even a rabbit- but both dogs are excellent around them- it really just depends on the individual animals

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ONE of my cats likes dogs. Rowdy thinks that dogs are large, interactive cat toys and will wrestle and face-wash them. By the same token, both of my dogs regard cats as playmates. Whenever Ike and Pearl see a strange cat outside, they whimper, to try to get the cat to come play with them.

Opie and Buddy do NOT like dogs. As long as the dog does not try to play with or slobber on Opie, he will be in the same room with them. Right from the start, Opie let Ike know who is boss and Ike will wait for the cat to initiate contact.

Pearl hasn't quite caught on and she will immediately try to play with and slobber on any cat, within reach. Being hissed at and scratched does not seem to deter her.

I have a baby gate, closing off the back of the house, so that Opie and Buddy have someplace "safe", to get away from the dogs. Once Pearl is in her crate, for the night, the boys will go into the front room, as Ike won't budge off of the couch or love seat. This also keeps the dogs out of the litter boxes.

I don't think that breed has anything to do with it. Ike is a Dalmatian and Pearl is a pit mix. Both dogs were raised with cats and have been petted and spoiled. My only concern is that Pearl and Rowdy will wreck the house - they play rough and I DO have to supervise their playtime.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scratch does well with Butch (our 6 year old German Shepherd/Border Collie) but the new kitten is scared of him.

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to small black lab and a german shepard..I recently lost my other Black shepard to a terrible illness...in the meantime we adopted 2 kitties..there was an ajustment period..but now the balck lab and my tan kitty get along great They love each other

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kota loves cats. She use to play with one when she was a pup. But Puff hasn't had a lot of contact with dogs previously. So he will hiss, and "puff up" at Kota when he's in tight spaces like the hallway with Kota. And he avoids Kota whenever possible.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got 4 cats and 2 dogs its kind of funny because Willie came here with cats and got along with them and the dogs (he was here before them) so since they grown up he cleans them all the time...also midnight learned that from willie so they all get along great midnight is always playing and picking on the dogs (I have 2 big labs)
although Willie doesnt like playing with them but he will clean them and everything. Now my 2 kitties well Bella has no problem but if cocoa is in her space then her paw goes up at him, and the kitten stormie did like them at first and now she just runs from them(cocoa tries to play tooo much) So she is easing up to them again a little confrence here and there is the trick
!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my Golden Retriever LOVES cats but the cats I've owned don't like her... Sneakers and also my previous cat Sylvia both tolerated the dogs. Meaning, they ignore them most of the time but won't hesistate to hiss or swat or even chase the dogs if the dogs get on their nerves! Because of this my terrier is scared of cats!
Hopefully our new kitten will learn to like my Golden because she'd love to have a friendly cat around... She has several friends who are cats (who belong to my friends.)

Here she is with one of my friends cats. We call him her boyfriend

(this is him as a kitten the first time they met, he's an adult now but still friends with my dog!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Nunuk is at the mercy of the cats. The groom him, clean his ears etc. if he tries to move they smack him to lay down again. He's 115lbs and gets bossed around by them all.

When I fill his water bowl he stands in line behind Spalding, who always wants the first sip.
What kind of a dog is he?

My dad's chiuhauha is awful with my cat she is a bully though she attacks the boxer all the time that is the chiuhauha that does that. But they have their moments both of them like it when the other two dogs are outside and then they cuddle and sleep.
The boxer is obsessed with Tavia and once in a while Tavia will get tired of her and wack her on the head. And Tavia will hide in the laundry room and jump out and scare the boxer.
And the other two dogs aren't allowed inside. If it was upto me my border collie mix would be she is great with everything except when she is eating and then she gives warning growls and dad's boxer lab mix is never allowed in she killed my outside tomcat when she first come here but dad wouldn't do anything about it.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My nine cats get along fine with my three dogs. They were all raised with two of them and my newest addition Hanna is now accepted and loved by all my cats.

This is the my alpha female keeping the dogs warm

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do not believe that dogs and cats are natural enemies. There are dogs that have a high prey drive and may never be trustworthy with small animals. There are some dogs that can live peacefully with cats INDOORS but outdoors may be a different story.

Both my dogs are face shy around the cats because they know what they are capable of, but one of my dogs will chase them if they run. He does not want to hurt them and is only having fun. Sometimes Taz (cat) will entice him to a game of chase, but as long as it is on his terms. The cats are always trying to rub against the dogs but this tends to make them nervous for some reason.

Everything depends on the personalities of the individual dog and cat.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yep, both of my cats get along with all of my dogs!
Tiger isn't too fond of my hound, Buster though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tavia likes to get Macy chasing her and then she chases Macy back I think she knows that if they chase her they get in trouble because dad's dog Tiny gets over stimulated by it.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

What kind of a dog is he?
He's a mutt, SPCA listed him as Alaskan Malamute mix. We think he has some Border Collie in him.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten thinks shes a dog. The dogs think they are cats.
My animals are messed up. Nazumi also gets along with the dogs. But Lily hates them. Annie doesnt mind Jada but she slaps Buddy any time he looks her way.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fuzzmom

I do not believe that dogs and cats are natural enemies. There are dogs that have a high prey drive and may never be trustworthy with small animals. There are some dogs that can live peacefully with cats INDOORS but outdoors may be a different story.
My Buddy cant be trusted around cat outside unless he knows them. He has to be properly introdused to the cats inside or he will chase them and nip at them. But if he sees them for the first time with a human holding it then he knows that one is good and he will love them forever.