Please help settle a debate!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two leather arm chairs that I HATE, but DH loves them. Ever since weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve moved into this apartment Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been looking for a reason to get rid of them. To add fuel to the fire my Mom sent us a $200.00 gift certificate to Ikea for Christmas. My feeling is that we use that towards two new chairs. DH thinks that we should use it for something else. Please help me fellow TCSers I need these chairs out of my life for good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's some pictures of the foul things! If anyone wants them you can come to Cleveland with a U-Haul and they are all yours!!!

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well If I lived closer Id come get one...lol. We have no chair in the living room since my mother broke our black leather one.

Personally I'd look at your finances. Is there anything you really need to pay first? Old debts that you may have forgotten about? Take a look at your credit to make sure. Sometimes things can be there that you've completely forgotten about.

If not I say go for it. lol. I wouldn't want that red one in my home either.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

Well If I lived closer Id come get one...lol. We have no chair in the living room since my mother broke our black leather one.

Personally I'd look at your finances. Is there anything you really need to pay first? Old debts that you may have forgotten about? Take a look at your credit to make sure. Sometimes things can be there that you've completely forgotten about.

If not I say go for it. lol. I wouldn't want that red one in my home either.
The red one is actually the nice one! The green one is threadbare and needs to be tossed!

You make a really good point about our credit. We are in the process of paying off almost 20k in credit card debit (it's now down to five if you can believe that!). There are just moments that I'd rather sit on milk crates than use these chairs anymore!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

Are they comfy? If they are I would use the gift certificate for something else. They don't look too bad! Sorry!
Yes, but they are HUGE! You'd need a really nice sized living room to have them.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, how much does he really love them? Is he willing to at least get rid of the green one, if you agree to letting him keep the red one?

Also, have a think about what $200 might get you that you want more, like new duvets, duvet covers, pillows... egytian cotton sheets - whatever. A blanket box...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

Well, how much does he really love them? Is he willing to at least get rid of the green one, if you agree to letting him keep the red one?

Also, have a think about what $200 might get you that you want more, like new duvets, duvet covers, pillows... egytian cotton sheets - whatever. A blanket box...
He loves them enough to sit in them and pet them (you didn't read that wrong, I said PET them).

I'm going to have to have someone come over and take them while he is at work and then make up a story about how someone broke into the apartment and took the chairs while I was out.

I don't want him to keep the red one; it's big and doesn't fit anywhere.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweetie get some slip covers for them and make peace about them for now. Get other more needed things for now because you will be moving soon and you know whenever you move your money gets really tight with all of the changes and deposits. Your chairs are in fairly good condition so I say get slip covers and get what you need for now.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

He loves them enough to sit in them and pet them (you didn't read that wrong, I said PET them).

I'm going to have to have someone come over and take them while he is at work and then make up a story about how someone broke into the apartment and took the chairs while I was out.

I don't want him to keep the red one; it's big and doesn't fit anywhere.
Ah. Well, good luck with making up that story!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

Ah. Well, good luck with making up that story!
Yeah, it's not going to go over well. I'm going to have to sit him down and talk calmly about it.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like them...too bad I'm in canada LOL. I have one big cream coloured leather couch and love seat in my front room. I really like the red one...they look nice and comfy.

I agree with the slip covers approach.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aren't you going to be moving soon? I would hold on to the chairs...maybe you could put them in a guest room or something along that lines. I wouldn't run up any more bills until you've paid off the credit card ones, but that's just me
. / Maybe until you move you could try putting slip covers on them like some others have suggested, and then once you have a little extra cash after your bills are paid, go ahead and use the ikea card towards some new ones or whatever else you need

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's Christmas, why not spoil yourself with some new chairs

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say sit and try to compromise, he'll just be angry if you do something sneaky. Hopefully your skills of persuasion are top-notch!!! Maybe tell him HE can pick out the new chairs, anything that suits his fancy. (they can't be that much worse, lol)

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Compromise: keep ONE, slipcover it and use the gift certificate toward a chair that YOU like.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like those chairs! Get yourself a leather cleaning product and wipe them down. It will clean them right up and bring back the luster.

I vote that you use the money for something else that you need. Maybe something for the bedroom, bathroom or kitchen.

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aw, there's not even any duct tape on those recliners!

I'm a single female and I have a recliner. Got it a few years ago because I was having much trouble with asthma and could not lie down. Spent lots of nights in the recliner. You're right, they're hard to place in a room and make pretty, expecially when reclined. But there's not another chair or sofa or even loungers that provide the same relaxation. They also have the unique ability to put the occupant to sleep, which could be why some women complain about them.

I'm almost at the point of recovering mine. I have priced slip covers and they are generally not cheap, not what I've seen. When I'm ready, I will visit the Hancock's Fabric store and select a piece or pieces from the remnant table.

I'm guessing you would not dispose of the chairs without his agreement.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I don't think thier that bad. If he loves them, maybe you could find something else to make you happy and take your mind off the chairs.