Would you be interested in a TCS Shopping Directory?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Not just for cat products, but for all sorts of online shops?

I signed up with a couple of leading affiliation programs, through which I can offer links to some really good online shops, including such name brands as PetSmart, Toys R Us, Lego, Sony, you name it, quite a few big names. There is also a large selection of smaller online shops, with a total of several hundred shops. When people shop through this, it generates a commission for me. I was wondering whether or not I should use this as a revenue source for TCS? I am thinking setting up a directory of these shops, each with its logo/small banner, a link to buy and short description. Was thinking of doing a coupons page as well, bringing together all the coupons I could find for you guys.

Do you think this could be a viable way of generating revenue for TCS? Would you consider buying from a TCS affiliated shopping directory? I could set it up on a domain that I have that already has a directory script running, or I could do that on the pages of TCS, with a similar script. Do you think that would make a difference?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't tend to use directories to find new shops, but generally, if someone has an affiliate link to the ones I do shop at regularly, I will use it to give them the cash, its not hurting me to click through.
I find most of them only have the US stores on the affiliate list though, so I am probably not much help as I visit the Canadian ones

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ooo.........can shop til I drop.............but please consider that Europeans can have some problems buying from USA web-pages, some wont deliver outside US, also import taxes etc..........thanks
I do realise we are a smaller percentage membership, but some UK/Europeans ones might be good too

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use online directories, so it really wouldn't matter to me, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would certainly use it!

quote=Bella713;1457337]
Did someone say shopping?...Sounds like a great Idea Anne!!![/quote]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Great point there about non-American shops! I could even make a page for UK and Canadian ones. Or maybe even mention on the listings which ones ship overseas.

It's going to take a while putting the whole shop together, but I am very much encouraged by the responses here!

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay I think its a great idea but not sure if I can do it or not I don't have a credit card but I do have a bank card that has mastercard on it. So am I able to shop online I have never tried before. I am kind of affraid to.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

ooo.........can shop til I drop.............but please consider that Europeans can have some problems buying from USA web-pages, some wont deliver outside US, also import taxes etc..........thanks
I do realise we are a smaller percentage membership, but some UK/Europeans ones might be good too
UK shops wouldn't present a problem for those living in other EU countries, as there aren't any problems with shipping or customs.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is a very reputable site and a portion of it's proceeds are going to help TCS, I would definitely consider it

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I don't tend to use directories to find new shops, but generally, if someone has an affiliate link to the ones I do shop at regularly, I will use it to give them the cash, its not hurting me to click through.
I find most of them only have the US stores on the affiliate list though, so I am probably not much help as I visit the Canadian ones
That's my experience, too.

Originally Posted by mooficat

That, too.

Originally Posted by Anne

Great point there about non-American shops! I could even make a page for UK and Canadian ones. Or maybe even mention on the listings which ones ship overseas.
That would be great -- especially the note of which ones ship outside the US -- the number of times I've got all the way through looking, choosing, filling out order forms, etc, and got to the shipping part only to find that they won't ship to me --
-- that is so frustrating, and disheartening sometimes, that I sometimes don't bother.

Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

Okay I think its a great idea but not sure if I can do it or not I don't have a credit card but I do have a bank card that has mastercard on it. So am I able to shop online I have never tried before. I am kind of affraid to.
Not sure how the bank card with MC on it works, but many online merchants use PayPal, too, which offers a variety of ways to pay, and the advantage there is that you register your information with one secure outfit with a lot to lose if anything untoward happens (PayPal), rather than giving it to umpteen merchants. Actually, online shopping, if you take reasonable precautions -- such as making sure you don't give any sensitive information unless you are on a secure site (look in the address bar -- it will read https://... rather than just http:// -- watch for the 's') -- is safer than giving your card to the waiter in a restaurant, who then takes it out of your sight to process your payment.

FWIW.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Good points about internet security there! I live online lol, so of course I shop online for almost anything. I even shop for groceries online, 1-2 a week. I get my bread, milk, vegetable, everything... from my computer screen right to my doorstep!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thanks for the replies everyone! I am going to install a script and try and build up a small directory of quality merchants in affiliation with TCS.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

If it is a very reputable site and a portion of it's proceeds are going to help TCS, I would definitely consider it
I am just learning about online shopping so help is always welcome

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great idea! I use American bookshops a lot through Alibris and they will all ship to Europe. So will many others. But Paypal is good as it is linked to your bank account so you don't need a credit card. At the moment I tend to google whatever product I am looking for and then search the sites that come up. But to have recommended affiliated sites that will help TCS would be good for everyone.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just talked Colin into buying some of the pet medicines off of 1800PetMeds.com
I told him that that site helps support TCS and other things as well