Is there an "age limit" to violin?

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha, completely unrelated to anything on this forum, but I've had this itch to learn violin on and off since junior high (I'm 24 now). I hear from multiple sources that you won't be able to play a violin unless you start at an early age, but I'm questioning the validity of that. I guess late learners won't become super great players, but just learn enough to play a moderate diffcult piece should be doable right? Any violin players here? Would like to hear your thoughts.

thumper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Go for it. Its never to late to learn any instrument!!! You can probably dig around google and find lessons to get started or go to a music store and rent one and ask for a free lesson.

Its not to hard except for being fretless so you have to have a feel for the note your playing. Ive played guitar and frettless bass so I had a bit of a head start, but its a fun instrument.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really believe that about adult learners. I think that, yes, it is easier in some ways to learn things when you are young, but an adult music student usually has a lot more drive and willingness to practice that a younster. Besides - I didn't start my instrument (bassoon) until I was about 20 or 21!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first started violin lessons, there was a woman in her 50s who had a lesson right before me, and she learned alot quicker than I did (I was 6-7 at the time), so if it something you want to do, go for it!

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Go for it! I've been taking fiddle lessons for about two years now, and while I am nearly twice your age and rarely practice between my weekly lessons, I am picking it up fairly well.

trinettec

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are never too old to learn anything. This year at our county fair was a gentleman in his 70's that competed in the novice fiddlers class. He took up the fiddle on his 70th birthday!! And he was pretty good too!!

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've played the violin for...9 years now, and now I can play all four string instruments (and really if you know one, you will know the other soon). I was 10 when I started, but to be honest, the violin isn't a very hard instrument to learn, especially if you really only want to play things like "Hallelujah chorus".
The only thing that was really hard to me when learning to play the violin was learning to sight read. For some reason, it just took me awhile to learn to read music at all, much less on demand to play a song. I would write the finger I need to use on each note of the sheet music for the first year

Go for it...I'm 19 and just now want to learn the piano. Why not?

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the reason you've been told this is that the violin is such a small instrument, that some people find it easier to play when they are younger (and have small hands), rather then that you can't learn.

Like all strings, the possiblity of RSI arises, too, not just in the hands, but also in the neck in the case of the violin and viola (I believe).

I play (very badly!) the cello, and the guy who sold it to me (very knowledgeable about his field), suggested that I try the violin first, mainly because it would cost about a sixth of what a cello would cost; clearly he didn't think the problem terribly significant.

If you're thinking of playing professionally, maybe it does a difference - but if you're playing for yourself, it shouldn't be a problem.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

Haha, completely unrelated to anything on this forum, but I've had this itch to learn violin on and off since junior high (I'm 24 now). I hear from multiple sources that you won't be able to play a violin unless you start at an early age, but I'm questioning the validity of that. I guess late learners won't become super great players, but just learn enough to play a moderate diffcult piece should be doable right? Any violin players here? Would like to hear your thoughts.
You are 24! OMG, when I saw your title I thought you must be at least 80. You are just a youngster. I predict you will be a great violinist.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

I think the reason you've been told this is that the violin is such a small instrument, that some people find it easier to play when they are younger (and have small hands), rather then that you can't learn.
I can understand someone saying this, especially if they want them to buy a more expensive instrument!

If this is the case, violins do come in different sizes. I started out with a 3/4, but now I have a 4/4, or full violin. But they measure your arm at a professional shop to make sure you're getting the right size, if the possibility of needing a smaller one is an issue.

Violas are a little bigger, but they don't play in treble cleft, so you have different sound. I guess if size was an issue you could try viola, but only by a little. But I don't have a viola, so don't take my word for it

ETA: Satai mentioned RSI, and I wanted to add that I do have some shoulder and neck issues that started when I was active in volleyball that really took a toll on me when I was playing my violin the most, (in two orchestras and daily practice!) so it is a concern if you already have some issues to get a good pain management plan with your doctor now, lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for everyone's input! I think I'm gonna go for it. Are lessons expensive? I was going to go to the local instrument shop in town and ask if they knew any good instructors, but does anyone know if there's a good online source? or know anyone near Marysville, Ohio they can recommend?

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for everyone's input! I think I'm gonna go for it. Are lessons expensive? I was going to go to the local instrument shop in town and ask if they knew any good instructors, but does anyone know if there's a good online source? or know anyone near Marysville, Ohio they can recommend?
In a major metro area, I charge about $18 for a half hour lessons, and plan on raising my rate to $22 for a half hour when I (finally) have my degree in 6 months. This is the going rate IN the city. I have to charge slightly less when I'm in the exurbs (farther than the suburbs, but not quite rural), where I also teach, because of the market differences. So $16 will become $18. An hour costs exactly twice...I don't do any discounts.

A good source for lessons is to look up music stores or instrument dealers or repairpeople in your area and ask for suggestions. You can also call high schools and colleges with music programs and ask for their suggestions. Most K-12 schools with a music program will keep a list of teachers they reccomend for their students.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I live in Columbus! Howdy, neighbor
A few of my friends go to Capital University, and are learning to become music teachers. You would probably get a good deal getting a student from there, or even OSU. I would just contact the head of their music department and tell them you are looking for a student to give you lessons, and I'm sure they already have people lined up. One of my friends gives lessons as well, and the school set them up for her and the girl she is teaching, so at least you know you're getting someone good.