Anyone use/tried mineral makeup?

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was considering trying mineral makeup, like on tv, as I saw it at Bed Bath and Beyond in an ad this week. I have really pale, sensitive skin (like one shade up from alabaster
) and dark circles under my eyes that I was literally born with, and I am looking for some opinions about it, before I sink $40 into it
. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

I was considering trying mineral makeup, like on tv, as I saw it at Bed Bath and Beyond in an ad this week. I have really pale, sensitive skin (like one shade up from alabaster
) and dark circles under my eyes that I was literally born with, and I am looking for some opinions about it, before I sink $40 into it
. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I use mineral makeup when I wear it and I love it! Do you have a Sephora near you?
When I went in and asked about it they gave me a big walk through on how to use it, and how it is applied. Here's their website http://www.sephora.com/;jsessionid=K...questid=106376

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my friends uses it, and she swears by it! It might cost a bit more, but she says its worth it! Me, I use Mary Kay and swear by that!

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Bare Minerals, and really love it! I've been using it for over a year now. It's really light so I don't feel it on, which is nice. I get a lot of compliments on how my skin looks, but I know it's the makeup because it makes me look glowy without being greasy. If you have dry skin, the key is to moisturize your face about 5 minutes before you put it on.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought some mineral makeup once, can't remember the brand though. I found it dry and cakey.

I buy either Clinique if I'm looking for expensive name brand, or just the drugstore Revlon stuff usually. I really like Oil of Olay.

I'm in my 40's and find that I still have very oily skin with a reversed T-Zone and a compact cream foundation works well for me. I try to stay away from the liquids because the creams go on more smoothly.

Now that being said, I rarely wear makeup anymore, LOL

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Pur Minerals and absolutely adore it! I have extremely pale skin, and find it nice and translucent and not make-upy looking - very natural!

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have not used it but will look into it. I have used Linda Seidel for severl years.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used the Neutragena kind, and I love it as a powder- for use after I apply liquid foundation. I am currently using the Avon kind, which I also only use over liquid foundation. These two are great- but I prefer more coverage. I have used the Bonne Chimie brand, which is marvelous and does not require any liquid foundation. I have some scarring from acne and it covers it right up. It's also a truly mineral makeup, with no fillers. But it's $35 bucks for each product. It does last a long time though- about five months with daily use once per day. http://bonnechimie.com/ It makes my skin glow, without the greasy look. I've thought about trying Bare Minerals. Bare Minerals is the same thing as Bonne Chimie- totally pure. I think the purity is what makes it work better. The Neutragena and Avon kinds feel and look more like regular loose powder, but work just as well as the Clinique loose powder I've used at half the cost. I know that Ulta sells Bare Minerals- including a starter kit that comes with a DVD. I haven't tried anything from the Body Shop or Bath and Body Works, but if it's less expensive I'd be willing to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I use mineral makeup when I wear it and I love it! Do you have a Sephora near you?
When I went in and asked about it they gave me a big walk through on how to use it, and how it is applied. Here's their website http://www.sephora.com/;jsessionid=K...questid=106376
We do have one about 30 minutes away
(at the busiest mall in a 3 hr radius!
). Free samples sound great
. I know my mom will drag me to the Galleria sometime before Christmas, so I'll check it out. Thanks!

I used to use a cream foundation, but while it looked good at the start, my oily skin would have it melted about halfway through the day
. I am currently using a Mary Kay concealer (my sister sells Mary Kay- if only they would come out with a mineral makeup line
!), and a Lorel mineral makeup foundation but they don't have the blush, glow, (whatever it is they call it on the commercial
), and it is still too dark, and with winter coming on, I will be turning "a lighter shade of pale"
really quickly. I do like it though- but was worried about trying "the real thing"

Thanks for all your help, everybody! I think I will give it a whirl!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrgirl

I have used the Bonne Chimie brand, which is marvelous and does not require any liquid foundation. I have some scarring from acne and it covers it right up. It's also a truly mineral makeup, with no fillers. But it's $35 bucks for each product. It does last a long time though- about five months with daily use once per day. http://bonnechimie.com/ It makes my skin glow, without the greasy look. I've thought about trying Bare Minerals. Bare Minerals is the same thing as Bonne Chimie- totally pure. I think the purity is what makes it work better. The Neutragena and Avon kinds feel and look more like regular loose powder, but work just as well as the Clinique loose powder I've used at half the cost. I know that Ulta sells Bare Minerals- including a starter kit that comes with a DVD. I haven't tried anything from the Body Shop or Bath and Body Works, but if it's less expensive I'd be willing to.
I couldn't find the mineral makeup on the website
- do I have to email them and ask specificly about it? ,
And I tried the Neutragena, too- way to dark
,and I didn't find the texture much different from regular powder, either
. I guess the Lorel must be closer to the Bare Minerals, etc.. I figured that if the Lorel is that much better than the Neutragena, then maybe Bare Minerals or something similar would be ever better, but definitely wanted to get some opinions first
. Thanks again!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

I use Pur Minerals and absolutely adore it! I have extremely pale skin, and find it nice and translucent and not make-upy looking - very natural!
That's encouraging! Where do you get Pur Minerals?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE the Neutrogena mineral powder - I always use it to put on the finishing touches after I apply my other makeup - the stuff is awesome and very gently on my skin- also, it doesn't cake like other powders

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I couldn't find the mineral makeup on the website
- do I have to email them and ask specificly about it? ,
And I tried the Neutragena, too- way to dark
,and I didn't find the texture much different from regular powder, either
. I guess the Lorel must be closer to the Bare Minerals, etc.. I figured that if the Lorel is that much better than the Neutragena, then maybe Bare Minerals or something similar would be ever better, but definitely wanted to get some opinions first
. Thanks again!
You know, I'm not sure sure if that brand is available outside of Indiana! You might try emailing them if you are interested. I was very happy with their mineral makeup products. I have bought the foundation, blush, and setting powder. From what I've heard they are very similar to Bare Minerals.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phat Locani

Pur Minerals has a web site. Just ordered the starter kid. Hope I like it!!!
I'd love it if you could let me know how you like it!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks!
The picture after that one, she's trying to kill the bow!

Oh, and I got my free sample of Bare Minerals at Sephora today!
Gonna give it a try tomorrow
. Only problem is, they don't have a starter kit in the "fair" color- it starts one shade darker in the "light, fairly light" shades
. I can always buy them seperately I suppose- I wonder if they would sell the fair/fairly light with the same stuff for the price of a starter kit? Hmm...

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks!
The picture after that one, she's trying to kill the bow!

Oh, and I got my free sample of Bare Minerals at Sephora today!
Gonna give it a try tomorrow
. Only problem is, they don't have a starter kit in the "fair" color- it starts one shade darker in the "light, fairly light" shades
. I can always buy them seperately I suppose- I wonder if they would sell the fair/fairly light with the same stuff for the price of a starter kit? Hmm...
So what do you get as a free sample? I see on their website that the starter kit is $60...