Humble's Kidney Enzyme Levels

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Humble's creatine and BUN enzymes are very slightly elevated.

All else is normal. he is in the very beginning stages of renal insufficiency.
Dr. Branch recommends dry or wet Eukanuba Multi-Renal Stage food, which Humble HATES. Hill's Prescription k/d is also a possibility. Humble does not like it, either.

What do you all think of Purina One Urinary Tract dry food? Both cats like it.
IS there another food that I might try?

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ask the doctor about Science Diet G/D. The dry formula went over well with all my girls. The K/D canned with chicken was a big hit with my Sheba, who wouldn't eat G/D canned or regular K/D canned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, thank you!

I will try this.

Originally Posted by Lorina

Ask the doctor about Science Diet G/D. The dry formula went over well with all my girls. The K/D canned with chicken was a big hit with my Sheba, who wouldn't eat G/D canned or regular K/D canned.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he is only "slightly elevated" please talk with your vet .... In the early stages RXs may not be nessessary and a quality senior food may work...

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

If he is only "slightly elevated" please talk with your vet .... In the early stages RXs may not be nessessary and a quality senior food may work...
The vet was who told me to give himthis stuff. He HATES it.

What do you think of Purina One, Urinary Travct Health formula?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dont know ... I know the ingrediants arent bad but there are better in the price range...

Protein in a dry food should be 26-30% ( probabley knocks out Purina as they seem to think 40 plus is ideal) .. Protein is fine but IT NEEDS to be DIGESTABLE , ie corn and by products arent ...

wet food try not to go over 9 % protein ...

My crf girl needs alot of fat ... so I aim for the cans with 5-10 % fat

How old is Humble and any other troubles ???

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Dont know ... I know the ingrediants arent bad but there are better in the price range...

Protein in a dry food should be 26-30% ( probabley knocks out Purina as they seem to think 40 plus is ideal) .. Protein is fine but IT NEEDS to be DIGESTABLE , ie corn and by products arent ...

wet food try not to go over 9 % protein ...

My crf girl needs alot of fat ... so I aim for the cans with 5-10 % fat

How old is Humble and any other troubles ???
Humble is 6 1/2....no other troubles.
What nutrients do cats need the most of?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by batgirl2good

Humble's creatine and BUN enzymes are very slightly elevated.

All else is normal. he is in the very beginning stages of renal insufficiency.
Dr. Branch recommends dry or wet Eukanuba Multi-Renal Stage food, which Humble HATES. Hill's Prescription k/d is also a possibility. Humble does not like it, either.

What do you all think of Purina One Urinary Tract dry food? Both cats like it.
IS there another food that I might try?
My vet had us put Lucy on the Purina One UR. He prefers that over the Control we were using for Much.

We had the discussion of the ingredients and he didn't think it was an issue.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

My vet had us put Lucy on the Purina One UR. He prefers that over the Control we were using for Much.

We had the discussion of the ingredients and he didn't think it was an issue.
Thanks a lot, this helps me, too!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be worth having a read of this site if you haven't already

http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm

It lists non prescription foods with their protein, phosphorus etc content. It may be that your kitty doesn't need the prescription food if he is in the early stages of CRF. I'd discuss it with your vet first of course, but sometimes I think vets recommend the prescription food as a matter of course when it isn't always necessary. Many cats refuse to eat the special renal food anyway. It may be that a good quality non prescription food that's low in phosphorus will be sufficient - maybe with a phosphorus binder if necessary.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

It would be worth having a read of this site if you haven't already

http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm

It lists non prescription foods with their protein, phosphorus etc content. It may be that your kitty doesn't need the prescription food if he is in the early stages of CRF. I'd discuss it with your vet first of course, but sometimes I think vets recommend the prescription food as a matter of course when it isn't always necessary. Many cats refuse to eat the special renal food anyway. It may be that a good quality non prescription food that's low in phosphorus will be sufficient - maybe with a phosphorus binder if necessary.
Oh, bless you! Thanks a million!

dr. doolittle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Medi-Cal, Royal Canin, VMD (all now the same company- not sure what they're called in the states) also make Renal Diets that might be more palatable. Urinary tract diets are sometimes higher in salt which is not good for older kitties. I would start a good Kidney diet now- it will prolong your cats quality of life.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle

Medi-Cal, Royal Canin, VMD (all now the same company- not sure what they're called in the states) also make Renal Diets that might be more palatable. Urinary tract diets are sometimes higher in salt which is not good for older kitties. I would start a good Kidney diet now- it will prolong your cats quality of life.
In the states it is either Waltham IVD or Royal canin

myboys15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy, Matry, is on K/d dry for his kidneys. I have also tried the Royal Cainin Renal LP 21. Besides the dry and wet food that you would feed Humble, ask the vet about what human foods you shoud NOT feed you baby. My Marty LOVED the Royal Canin wet but he is not a picky eater, either. But, he definetly prefers non-prescription cat food to his special diet foods.

Have you tried 1/2 of the speical dry and 1/2 regualr dry, until Humble get's used to the new food?

Maybe this website will help you will symptoms to look for: Humble seems far from this stage but it is better to be educated:
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/renal.html

My boy Sebastian (RIP) suffered from renal problems, so I know from the vet visits you need to watch Humble. If you notice anything different, talk to your vet. I am not trying to scare you, but a slightly abnormal blood test can turn into an extrenely abnormal one if you do not watch your baby.

Best of Luck and sometimes just as we do with our human babies we need to be tough and tell them..Nope this is what is for dinner!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you like the address of the kidney failure support list I am on? I would join now, as the information there will help. As I mentioned, the BEST resource I can give is www.felinecrf.org. It talks about diet, stages of kidney failure, the related issues they deal with (stomach acid, constipation etc.) and how to treat.

In early kidney failure, I personally would pay the most attention to the phosphorus content of the foods, and I'd switch to a wet food diet (more moisture), best quality w/ lower phos that you can get.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Would you like the address of the kidney failure support list I am on? I would join now, as the information there will help. As I mentioned, the BEST resource I can give is www.felinecrf.org. It talks about diet, stages of kidney failure, the related issues they deal with (stomach acid, constipation etc.) and how to treat.

In early kidney failure, I personally would pay the most attention to the phosphorus content of the foods, and I'd switch to a wet food diet (more moisture), best quality w/ lower phos that you can get.
I have read alot about it, and I looked at the site posted. I am so blessed by all of you. One good thing is that Humble is adapting well to a wet diet, although I leave some of the dry food out (Multi-Renal Stage, k/d, etc.)

I added the site to my favorites.
You are an angel, Pat & Alix.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Humble is my angel. I will do all that I can. I am checking into the Royal Canin food for him. Thanks a lot.

Can I order it online?

Originally Posted by Myboys15

My boy, Matry, is on K/d dry for his kidneys. I have also tried the Royal Cainin Renal LP 21. Besides the dry and wet food that you would feed Humble, ask the vet about what human foods you shoud NOT feed you baby. My Marty LOVED the Royal Canin wet but he is not a picky eater, either. But, he definetly prefers non-prescription cat food to his special diet foods.

Have you tried 1/2 of the speical dry and 1/2 regualr dry, until Humble get's used to the new food?

Maybe this website will help you will symptoms to look for: Humble seems far from this stage but it is better to be educated:
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/renal.html

My boy Sebastian (RIP) suffered from renal problems, so I know from the vet visits you need to watch Humble. If you notice anything different, talk to your vet. I am not trying to scare you, but a slightly abnormal blood test can turn into an extrenely abnormal one if you do not watch your baby.

Best of Luck and sometimes just as we do with our human babies we need to be tough and tell them..Nope this is what is for dinner!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Patrick's mother, Bookie, was my guardian angel...so yes, I believe in the middle of all our special, loving, beloved cats, there are some that are angels.

Wishing Humble all the best,

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to hear more about that!

My cats are my main men. They love me unconditionally. No other man has done that.

Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Patrick's mother, Bookie, was my guardian angel...so yes, I believe in the middle of all our special, loving, beloved cats, there are some that are angels.

Wishing Humble all the best,

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by batgirl2good

I would love to hear more about that!

My cats are my main men. They love me unconditionally. No other man has done that.
I am not sure I could condense it into just one message! From the time I got her as a present for a then serious boyfriend, my life changed. My love for her led me in a direction I would *never* have gone, and it changed my life, and the history of the American Curl breed (IMHO).

When I broke up with this boyfriend, as she'd been a gift, I felt I had to leave her with him, though we were tightly bonded. He did agree I could have her bred as I wanted a part of her. It is a too long story as to how I ended up having her accepted for breeding to an American Curl male, but the key point is once pregnant, she began misbehaving, peeing here and there, generally drove this ex-boyfriend crazy until he gave her back
She never misbehaved like that until in her mid-teens.

Of course, then I had a litter coming, when all I'd wanted was her...but that led to one of the first Lilac American Curls(her daughter), and was the beginning of a long journey with the breed.

In her last year of life, her spirit was amazing to our vet. One example is that a few days before we realized it was over, she had a spell (related, as we found out to severe anemia)...I thought she was dying, and kept crying "no" and her name, I was just in shock. She came back (from a fully arched back, mouth open, tongue out)...by the time I got her to the vet, she was her usual talkative self, and marched around the exam room, making happy meows. It was, to me, a stunning recovery.

This was the cat who when her loud, talking was keeping me from sleeping one day before my night shift, I exasperatedly told her "bookie, shhhsh!" and she meowed back with half her usual volume! From then on, if I said "shhsh!", she'd cut her meows to soft little murmurs.

In her old age I taught her hand signals - she was awful about counters - the result was she'd get down but talked back at me the whole time. She was simply unique.

Losing her son Patrick, this past March, was so hard, not only because he was so incredibly special, but because he was a living part of her, had her incredible spirit.

I truly, if I set out the chain of events, know that I would not have my husband, my business, be who I am, were it not for this one cat. She changed my life, I know I will see her again, I know she was my guardian angel, through a number of lonely and painful years of my life.