Wait to go to the vet???

junglebutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just want to know what you guys would do...

I have 2 foster kittens that had upper respiratory infections when they came here. I have since had them on antibiotics and they are finished with them and all better now. I did not let them interact with my cats until they were better.

However one of my cats has been sneezing now just a few times per day. I should mention that this cat has no interest in the kittens at all she runs from them and hates even being in the same room as them shes territorial!!
her sneezes are not snotty and her nose is not runny and her eyes are clean and clear.

My question is would you wait for those kinds of symptoms to show up before consulting a vet or would you go ahead and take her immediately??

could she just be allergic to them?? I AM!!! I have had cats all my life and have 3 of my own but I have had to buy allergy pills and still feel miserable around these guys...

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is not showing any symptoms, nor any distress....I would wait and call the vet first thing in the morning and describe the symptoms, and go from there.

If she is showing other symptoms, runny nose, runny eyes, not eating or drinking, not going to use the litter box, then don't wait. Call now.

jt23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would take her immediately. If she has caught it off the kittens it is best to treat it early. Even though she may not be in direct contact with them, it is possible that she may have picked up the infection from a food/water bowl or something else that the kittens may have come in contact with.
Best to always be on the safe side with health issues.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's still eating and drinking normally, I wouldn't worry too much. You might want to give her a little bit of Lysine to help boost her immune system to fight off any cold that may be coming. At this point, there is not much the vet can do--antibiotics aren't going to help a possible viral infection.

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If there isn't discharge from the eyes or nose, I'd wait or call the vet and ask their opinion.

When my youngest got a URI, my middle cat Gypsy ended up catching it and needing an antibiotic, but the oldest one only sneezed a few times one or two days and was fine.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorina

If there isn't discharge from the eyes or nose, I'd wait or call the vet and ask their opinion.
I did that with Mikey. after he was "fixed" he was sneezing very often and when i called they said he probably caught it from the vets office and not to worry unless there is discharge from his eyes/runny nose and he shows other signs. about 3 days later he was fine.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen two different recommendations--500 mg and 1000 mg. I think I'd start with 500 and see if it helps.

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I recently had a similar experience here...had quite a few fosters w/URI and 12 resident cats with a few showing symptoms of sneezing.

Through my experience, I have found that vets. will typically administer antibiotics (even though antibiotics do absolutely NADA for a virus). I have chosen the course of giving my cats (and the fosters) L-lysine, echinicea and pumping them with Vit. C.; have seen excellent results without antibiotics.