Pain Killers/UTI/Crystals Question...cat may be pts tomorrow!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you read my thread in the Lounge about needing advice....here comes another twist to the tale!

My friend's sister just called me upset and saying they may be putting Buddy down tomorrow. I'll try to summarize:
  • Thanksgiving Day-Buddy trying to pee on carpet, couldn't.
  • Next day-vet diagnosed UTI, crystals....gave antibiotics, special food...Buddy was able to pee and $800 later, went home, but vet said he may 'block right up' again.
  • Has been on anti-biotics...was doing well, then started to act funny again so anti-biotics increased a bit
  • Struggling to pee again (not as bad as last week) seems to be in pain
  • Friend's sister can't afford another vet visit, almost brought to spca (
    ) but it was closed
So that's the summary. I told her I think she's jumping the gun with having him pts tomorrow and that I would try to get some advice on here. I also advised her of 2 better vets, ones that don't charge an arm and a leg. I dislike the clinic she went to because they do overcharge.

Can anyone please share some insight!?! (Maybe link to a thread) I'm not experienced with this problem other that the bit I've read on here. Do you think that she should just keep meding him? She has another weeks worth of antibiotics. She called asking if I knew of any pain meds she could give him, so I told her to call the emergency vet and ask because cats are very different from dogs in that aspect. I really really need advice! Please share any stories or just anything you can. Buddy needs us! My friend's sister is a very nice person, but not an animal lover as much as us on here or experienced with this stuff. She's young, a college student, and very newly married, etc. She's just supposed to keep him till my friend gets back to the states in 4 years. Buddy is only 4 years old.

Please please help Buddy and I!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Only someone trained in veterinary medicine can diagnose - try to talk her into a second opinion. Also, has she talked to your friend? Maybe your friend can help the sister with the expenses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Only someone trained in veterinary medicine can diagnose - try to talk her into a second opinion. Also, has she talked to your friend? Maybe your friend can help the sister with the expenses.
She called her (in Japan) and I know they have been talking. I don't know if she's offered to help with vet expenses....I will ask that though. Hopefully she can, and her sister can get on a payment/credit plan.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Damn Leighann, I wish I knew something that would help. I would for sure give the medicine a chance to work, especially if it wasn't actually my cat.

for you and Buddy. Keep updating us.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the best thing would be to take Buddy to a reasonably priced good vet & have another urinalysis done.

Hopefully she will come to her senses!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness! $800 to diagnose and treat a UTI/crystals? plus special food? WOW, I would find a new vet, that's crazy! Where do you live? No wonder she can't afford another visit!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's why I told her to go to the others. I honestly don't think there are that many wealthy people around here. I have no idea how they get away with charging so much!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Oh my goodness! $800 to diagnose and treat a UTI/crystals? plus special food? WOW, I would find a new vet, that's crazy! Where do you live? No wonder she can't afford another visit!
That is excessive. Lucy had her bladder surgery for less than that.

jt23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definately encourage her to take him to another vet. If he does have crystals, I don't think that antibiotics and urinary food is going to completeley solve the problem on its own. Tell your friends sister to see another vet and ask about IV fluids and catheterisation. If the cat is really blocked up, normally they should stay in the vets for a few days with this treatment to completely flush the crystals out of the system. This is definately treatable so if she sees a good vet hopefully they can sort this out without PTS.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for all your replies. I just got out of the shower and she called while I was in there. I wanted to re-read the posts here before I call her back....say some prayers please!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just called her back....my friend is unable to send any money (had just had to buy all the furniture and things for her baby online!) and told her sister that she trusts her decision. I told her what I'd read online (from the link in the post about foods and crystals) and what had been said here. She was headed home to call another vet and see what they say and will charge.

I basically told her to at least call some other places; to just be sure before she does it, that she won't regret it later, etc. I told her I'd be praying she made the right decision for herself and for Buddy. Please pray that also.

I'll let you know what she decides.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Thanks. Since I called her and then posted, I feel a peace about it.
You have done everything possible so now we must have faith that your friend's sister does the right thing.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if the urine ph is high(they wanted my cat to be at 6-6.2) he was at over 8(test he had won't go past 8) vitamin c is a natural acidifier and brought him down in one night(gave him 250 mg every two hours) thats my personal expeirence and this could kill a cat if its urine ph is to low already(theres two types oof blockages-one cause by the urine being to low with one set of crystals and the other being to high.