4 cats who can't catch a mouse,,,,

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, we have 4 grown cats and we still have a mouse that shows up in the kitchen sometimes. They all sit on the floor and counter waiting for it but so far the dummies can't catch it.
I guess I need to get out the trap and peanut butter since the cats are slacking off.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Are they persian cats?

Ling was from barn cats and she's been inside the house since 5 weeks old (her mom was an excellant mouser). I think its partially instinct and partially in the "genes". Ling would totally destroy a mouse or bird if it got in the house - no doubt about it

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marcie is good with flies. She does have a bad habit of eating them after she pounces on them...yuck. I hope that she is good with mice, we usually get one every year.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uhmmmm...just want to say that if you have seen ONE mouse in your house, chances are REALLY good that you actually have dozens living in the structure. Or HAD, anyway. Mice breed ridiculously fast, and one means LOTS live there.

Before I got cats, we had severe mouse infestation, and I would find droppings all over my kitchen, in drawers, in the cabinets, bleah!

My Ginger caught just one, last March, and it squeaked and squeaked and squeaked its little heart out as I let her play with it, figuring it's teensy little screams for help might just warn the other mice that hanging out at my place probably isn't such a good idea anymore.

I don't find droppings anywhere anymore - I think the mouse family took the hint and moved on, after their little family member didn't come home that night they heard it squeaking in terror. We haven't seen any traces of them since.

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If your cats aren't cooperating, you may want to invest in a Mouse Mover from Sharper Image. It emits a rotating sound that (other than the clicks) are inaudible to humans and pets but shear torture to rodents. I actually heard a mouse scream after turning mine on last winter. It's under $50 and works better than traps.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe your cats won't hunt if they have food right there. But it is funny to hear that they won't chase a mouse when given the opportunity--the motion should excite them!

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two mousers here and one is great with insects. We haven't any mice here but we HAD gophers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Last night I heard a crash in the kitchen and there were dirty pans on the floor, so one of the cats must have tried to catch a mouse. I realize if there is one there are more of them.

When I lived on my own in a old farm house I had 2 cats, one was good at catching mice, but then they just played with the mouse till it died someplace, then I would have to find the dam thing when it started to stink.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tom W

Hi, we have 4 grown cats and we still have a mouse that shows up in the kitchen sometimes. They all sit on the floor and counter waiting for it but so far the dummies can't catch it.
Never underestimate your cats. They are probably working on the best mouse catching strategy.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be glad your cats don't go out and hunt the mice or bring them inside ALIVE for winter fun. Friend of mine's cats did that (before she started keeping them inside all the time). Her big male, Puddy, would go catch live mice in the fall and turn them loose in the house for all the rest of the cats to play with.....my friend was FAR from pleased

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Are they persian cats?

Ling was from barn cats and she's been inside the house since 5 weeks old (her mom was an excellant mouser). I think its partially instinct and partially in the "genes". Ling would totally destroy a mouse or bird if it got in the house - no doubt about it
Golden, why do you ask if they are Persian? Is it because Persians are so layed back they will not even chase a mouse?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep
I've heard persian people say "she's so lazy a mouse would run across her feet and she wouldn't chase him"

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
get those little mouse box catchers. I wouldnt suggest glue traps...those are kind of creepy if the mouse doesnt die right away ...shudders from memory

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tom W

I guess I need to get out the trap and peanut butter since the cats are slacking off.
Awwww the lazy bums..... I have 6 cats and only one of them catches the mice in my house. Guess which one it is?? It's my abyssinnian with the huge radar dishes for ears!! The domestics couldn't be bothered with a mouse!

felinelover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Uhmmmm...just want to say that if you have seen ONE mouse in your house, chances are REALLY good that you actually have dozens living in the structure. Or HAD, anyway. Mice breed ridiculously fast, and one means LOTS live there.

Before I got cats, we had severe mouse infestation, and I would find droppings all over my kitchen, in drawers, in the cabinets, bleah!

My Ginger caught just one, last March, and it squeaked and squeaked and squeaked its little heart out as I let her play with it, figuring it's teensy little screams for help might just warn the other mice that hanging out at my place probably isn't such a good idea anymore.

I don't find droppings anywhere anymore - I think the mouse family took the hint and moved on, after their little family member didn't come home that night they heard it squeaking in terror. We haven't seen any traces of them since.
That was a sad story about the poor llittle mouse....Karin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bob'sMom

If your cats aren't cooperating, you may want to invest in a Mouse Mover from Sharper Image. It emits a rotating sound that (other than the clicks) are inaudible to humans and pets but shear torture to rodents. I actually heard a mouse scream after turning mine on last winter. It's under $50 and works better than traps.
Hi, Where can I buy this Mouse Mover thing? Can I find them at a Wal-Mart or a Fleet-Farm or stores like that? I can buy them online but I would rather just go buy one someplace close if possible.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by felinelover

That was a sad story about the poor llittle mouse....Karin
I have no pity when it comes to uninvited mice in my house. I've had them as pets, I've had snakes as pets and FED mice to them, and I've caught my share of uninvited mice in sticky traps.

Yup, call me cold-hearted.

That particular mouse in the story then played dead, and "came back to life" just as I was dangling it by the tail over the toilet. I shrieked with surprise, dropped it in the bowl and flushed it.

Yup, call me a cold-hearted, cruel mouse killer. I wear that badge proudly. I squish the little squeakers!!!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my girls got old, I started to think of the mouse as another pet. Everytime I would go into the kitchen, I would see its little tail disappearing under the basement door. One time it ran right in front of me and my old girl. I did the humane thing and get those no kill traps, but nothing went into them. Guess the cat food was too easy to get to. Then I got my young guy months later, and he kept going into the basement. Finally, one day when I was down there, I checked my no kill traps, and you guessd it, two mummified mice in the no kill trap. My intenetions were good,a but the results were probably worse than if they had their necks snapped in a trap.
Anyway, the old girls are dearly dparted, and with the addition of three young males, I can happily report I have not seen a mouse (dead or alive) since the two unfortunate ones around a year ago.

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently a couple of mice moved into our apartment when the weather started changing. They didn't last long. I had two cats who hunted them down. One brought me a "gift" of a still live one.

On the Peta.org web site you can find info on humane ways of catching and disposing of mice. Don't use the glue traps, they are horribly cruel. They have ones that are like little houses the mice go into and and then you can let them out some place else like a field or forest preserve.
Should one get on your hand, don't be afraid. They are tiny and quite cute, we're not dealing with Willard here. Just wash your hands afterwards.

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

two mummified mice in the no kill trap. My intenetions were good,a but the results were probably worse than if they had their necks snapped in a trap.
I know it's terrible of me, but I just can't stop laughing cause it sounds like something I would accidentally do as well.