Poinsettias and cats

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know these are generally bad for cats, and I don't keep them around the holidays, but my MIL has some (and she took two of my kittens) and I'm worried about them. When I was last there, I moved it to an area where the kittens couldn't reach and said something to her on the phone tonight, but she claims they have to eat a lot of it and that the kittens aren't interested anyway, so she put it back.

Should I be worried or no? I have a tendency to worry too much, and sometimes plants that cause mere salivation in animals are listed as "poisonous," so does anyone have any concrete knowledge or experience?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No comments except that it's correct
Poinsettia is really not so bad. May cause stomach upset. There are other plants that are more toxic, including several used for Christmas decorations such as mistletoe, holly, and lilies.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

I know these are generally bad for cats, and I don't keep them around the holidays, but my MIL has some (and she took two of my kittens) and I'm worried about them. When I was last there, I moved it to an area where the kittens couldn't reach and said something to her on the phone tonight, but she claims they have to eat a lot of it and that the kittens aren't interested anyway, so she put it back.

Should I be worried or no? I have a tendency to worry too much, and sometimes plants that cause mere salivation in animals are listed as "poisonous," so does anyone have any concrete knowledge or experience?
Here is a list of poison plants for cats:

azalea, rhododendron, lily-of-the-vally, foxglove, milkweeds, yew, mistletoe, ALL lilies, castor beans, cycad, sago, or zamia palms, autumn crocus, oleander, mushrooms and toadstools, onions, philodendrons, pothos, shefflera, dieffenbachia.

The article goes on to say that if you absolutely cannot part with the above plants, Sticky Paws for Plants is a great deterrent.