I think my cat might have worms! HELP!

alf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think my cat might have worms because she licks her butt a lot and she will sometimes(a lot more now) drag her butt along the carpet. If she doesn't have worms and we buy her pills for worms will it hurt her in any way??? I don't understand why she could be doing this please help!

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do not buy over the counter worm medicines!!!!!

You will need to take her to the vets for a fecal examination to see if and what kind of worms she may have, then he can prescribe the proper medications for the kind of worms.

If the vet says she has no worms, then perhaps he can find out just exactly what IS the problem and treat if for you.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are several things that can cause this behaviour - worms is one, anal gland problems is another. And as said, please do not use bought worming meds - only a vet can give the right med for your size of cat and whatever worms she might have. Do take her to a vet, and let us know what happens.

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with the pp, remember, worming meds are poison, granted, it kills the worms but it can have adverse effects on your cat, especially if the wrong dosage is given, plus there are different meds for different worms (usually based on the location of the worm). I'd just take your cat to the vet so you know exactly what's wrong and how to treat it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the information! I am glad that we didn't buy her any worm medication. I think that she does have gland problems because we took her to the vet one time and he said that she had swollen anal glands. If she still has swollen anal glands what can I do to make her stop dragging her butt??

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ALF

Thank you for the information! I am glad that we didn't buy her any worm medication. I think that she does have gland problems because we took her to the vet one time and he said that she had swollen anal glands. If she still has swollen anal glands what can I do to make her stop dragging her butt??
You'll need to take her to the vet so she can be checked out to be sure that's the problem. If so, then the vet can express them. While you are there, your vet can advise you on what to watch for and perhaps show you how to express them yourself if this is a recurring problem with her. Since she has had this problem in the past, the vet may want to further investigate why she is having the problem so it's quite important that you take her this time.

Good luck to you and your girl.