Reeses has be altered :)

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*lol* I always love the description on pet shelter sites that say "This cat has been altered"

Reeses went in for her spay last night, and came home today. She's doing pretty good. Was pretty tired, slow, and sleepy for a few hours, but she eventually came out once we bribed her from underneath the bed so we could give her pain meds.

I need my mind to be at ease though. By nature, I'm a worrier, and I can tell I'm going to be paranoid for the first 7 days about her incision. We're not going to really play with her much so she's not jumping around and running, but already she's jumped on and off the kitchen table, and I'm worried that will possibly have a negative affect on her incision. But, we can't stop her from jumping on anything. Every room has stuff about all the same height that she can jump on. Also, she was licking in the general area of the incision (I couldn't quite see if she was licking the actual incision) I may get a collar from the vet, but should I just do that if I see her licking constantly and I notice any bleeding or swelling from the incision?

I know I just need to relax. Atleast it's over and done with

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call your Vet and ask about the licking.
MY Vet says it's o.k. for them to lick, as long as they don't do it overexcessivly.(If you see she is licking it non-stop, then I would get the collar)
I was paranoid when ours got altered also.But, everything went just fine and they are back to their normal selves now.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh honey, you haven't lived until you hear about Tammy-Timmy. The vet said keep her quiet. Oh, yeah. Right. She was out of the container like a bat out of you know where and promptly jumped up on the bed and then fell off.

Oh yeah, quiet. The vet said don't eat or drink too much at first. Right. She head was in the food and water bowls up to her nose.

I understand the paranoid feelings, but honey, I think these cats are made of titanium alloy with a buffered steel coating.

Please don't worry headbuts and I'll do the licking licks from KittenKiya's Clan.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I would call your Vet and ask about the licking.
MY Vet says it's o.k. for them to lick, as long as they don't do it overexcessivly.(If you see she is licking it non-stop, then I would get the collar)
I was paranoid when ours got altered also.But, everything went just fine and they are back to their normal selves now.
So far I've only seen her licking it at once, maybe twice, but the second time was a few minutes ago and it was dark in the bedroom and I couldn't quite tell. Of course I thought she was in the bedroom on my bureau earlier and I was just seeing things
If I had to say definately I'd say she's not licking constantly.

I still get worried when she gets on our bed and then jumps off. She makes a noise as she lands and I just think "oh god she's hurt herself hasn't she?" *lol*

I wish I had my wife's patience, that's for sure.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awe i am glad that everything is going good for her now, although now u got me worrying bout when we go and get stormie spayed and what to do about bella I am going to have to watch them VERY CLOSELY lol

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Lola was spayed they told me to keep her calm and not let her run around or overexert herself. But when I picked her up, they had given her a free catnip pouch in her carrier! Yeah, she was REAL calm that day!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom

awe i am glad that everything is going good for her now, although now u got me worrying bout when we go and get stormie spayed and what to do about bella I am going to have to watch them VERY CLOSELY lol
Oh....I'm sure it willl be fine!!

Katie

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

Reeses went in for her spay last night, and came home today. She's doing pretty good. Was pretty tired, slow, and sleepy for a few hours, but she eventually came out once we bribed her from underneath the bed so we could give her pain meds.
Congratulations and welcome Reeses to the Desexed Club. It's open to any cat who has either been spayed or neutered.

Katie

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I think I've settled down alittle bit
I called the vet because she threw up this morning, which the vet said was normal after they eat the first time post surgery. I gave her some more food a few hours later and so far no vomit. The only bad thing about when she got sick this morning was she did it under our bed where she usually hides out and I could barely reach it to clean it up *lol* Another 1/2" and it would probably still be there
I got some "Get Well" plant from my work because I was out on disability for 2 1/2 weeks. I found out this morning when she threw up that she ate part of it *lol*

She's just been sleeping mostly, and if she does get into anything it's jumping on my wife's desk to fall asleep or on our bureau or the bed. Nothing major. As for licking, she has licked a few times but I think that she's doing it as part of her cleaning routine because she'll lick the rest of her body afterwards too. She's not licking hard at it or constantly, no biting or anything like that, so the vet said she should be fine and to just keep an eye on it.

Here are some pictures I snapped of her today sleeping with my wife's stuffed frog.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwwwww she looks precious. Im sure she will be ok.

Make sure the plant she nibbled on is not poisonous to cats!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well just another update. Reeses is doing pretty good. The incision looks like it's healing fine, alittle scabbing from what I can tell which I was told is normal. There is a tiny red scabby looking mark about a 1/4" above the incision that I noticed. Don't know what that is from. Maybe her skin was sensitive from being shaved?

She threw up again last night, looked like food, quite a bit too. Is that normal? As I said she threw up the morning after the spay but she was fine for the rest of the day and ate all her food. Then yesterday she ate and was fine all day until 9pm'ish. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow just to make sure they're aware. I'm sure she's fine and that it's probably relating to the spay and it's after effects (I know when I had surgery I felt sick for a few days) but I just want to make sure.

I posted a new thread about it, but is it wise to give her a new scratching pad we got her? It's one of the corrugated cardboard ones that comes with catnip that you spread on it. I don't know if it already has a catnip sort of smell, but I just want to make sure that it's not going to cause her to get hyper and do something that will compromise her healing. But at the same time I want her to stop scratching other things
This is the only scratcher she'll use (I showed it to her for a few minutes and she loved it immediately).