The *best* automatic litter box?

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, I really would like to have an automatic litterbox because my cat has pretty smelly poos (she's been checked by a vet and nothing's wrong) and it's hard for me to clean it every day because of my busy schedule. However, i've heard some not-so-good things about the Littermaids and the Petmate one. Mostly about how they break/jam and are noisy (having stayed over at a friend's house who had one and sleeping in the same room as it, I definatley found that out first hand) I live in the basement of my house, and in respect for my roommates I keep Luna's litterbox down here as well, so a really noisy one is not an option. But i've also heard of two other brands - Scoop Free and another on that I can't remember off hand. it would really be nice to keep the odor down (Luna doesn't like covered boxes, she won't use them) and cut back my cleaning time. So any advice/suggestions would be greatly welcomed!!
Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ahh yes, I've seen this one. It looks like something from the future.

there are two concerns I have about it. 1. it is still covered and I am worried Luna wouldn't use it. 2. it's a little bit outside of my price range. I'm a college student and and pretty broke. It's a possibility i can ask for an automatic litter box from my parents as a christmas present, but I doubt they'd go for a $300 one though!..

but yeah, i'll probably have dreams about that litterbox. it does look very nice. =) maybe someday when i'm rich and famous LOL

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by miao_kitty

Ahh yes, I've seen this one. It looks like something from the future.

there are two concerns I have about it. 1. it is still covered and I am worried Luna wouldn't use it. 2. it's a little bit outside of my price range. I'm a college student and and pretty broke. It's a possibility i can ask for an automatic litter box from my parents as a christmas present, but I doubt they'd go for a $300 one though!..

but yeah, i'll probably have dreams about that litterbox. it does look very nice. =) maybe someday when i'm rich and famous LOL
with all the usual caveats about buyer beware, I recently read a review where the buyer lives in Canada, and could only obtain theirs via ebay. So....consider that a possible source where it should cost less

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
anyone ever heard of/used the "Scoop Free" one that uses crystals?

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never used an automatic litter box, but I'm curious what kind of food you are feeding your cat. He smelly poos could possibly be nearly eliminated with a change in diet.

tru87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
haha you're right, that does look like a box from the future lol.

Anyway, I agree with was said... try changing food, I know for a fact that... when I adopted my kittens, at first they were eating very low quality food and when I brought them home and they pooped... oh dear my my lol it was like an atomic smell bomb but as soon as the stool they passed was formed from the quality good they ate, it seemed like the smell almost disappeared.

Smelly stool I guess would be an indicator of low quality food or atleast food that doesn't do a whole good job of making the stool smell less horrific lol

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tru87

haha you're right, that does look like a box from the future lol.

Anyway, I agree with was said... try changing food, I know for a fact that... when I adopted my kittens, at first they were eating very low quality food and when I brought them home and they pooped... oh dear my my lol it was like an atomic smell bomb but as soon as the stool they passed was formed from the quality good they ate, it seemed like the smell almost disappeared.

Smelly stool I guess would be an indicator of low quality food or atleast food that doesn't do a whole good job of making the stool smell less horrific lol
Originally I was feeding her Nutro WEight Management, and now I'm feeding her Natural Balance. Ever since I've had her though, she's had smelly poos every now and then. I'm thinking of switchign to Felidae though, but I don't think my local pet stores have it and i want to give her a sample before I buy the food (in case she doesn't like it...)

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jericho 2550

this is pretty cool, I'm new here, not sure if anybody has seen or heard of this

Here
Wow! *drool* that is definately the cat owner's dream as far as litterboxes go. But I'm really thinking that aside from having the money for it you probably have to own your home b/c it looks like it needs a special hookup. ...if only...

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Personally, I have a littermaid and love it! Never had any problems with it and it certainly was reasonably priced at just under $100. It can be noisy, but it's on the main floor and we sleep on the top floor, so it doesn't prevent us from getting rest. Actually, with my kitty Sluggo having all these UTI problems it's been a blessing because I know when he goes potty so I can keep an eye on it! Good luck to you.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been using the Scoop Free since Nov 2nd and love it so much. With working and goign to school full-time, having a month to not change the litter box is just amazing. Marishka took to it the same day, too. And no odor. I have never been happier with cat poop!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by miao_kitty

anyone ever heard of/used the "Scoop Free" one that uses crystals?
i think the Scoop Free sounds interesting, but with multiple cats i think i'll stay with my littermaids - i have 3, & have had very little problems with them. i can't afford that many litter robots, altho they sound really good. & the other one needs to be hooked up to a water line, so that's also out.

kittyluver27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a littermaid in my home and I hate it, I find myself cleaning it more than a regular litterbox. I have two cats and they poop a lot! They never stop
So I had to unload the poo out of the container it goes into a whole lot. It was a mess. I prefer regular litterboxes with a top cover so that it doesn't smell as much.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i think the Scoop Free sounds interesting, but with multiple cats i think i'll stay with my littermaids - i have 3, & have had very little problems with them. i can't afford that many litter robots, altho they sound really good. & the other one needs to be hooked up to a water line, so that's also out.
I've heard that some stypes of crystal litter works well in the Littermaid because it shrinks the poos that take up space in the tray, and works so well on odors. I read it online somewhere, someone who was talking about it...
Hmm...I'll have to look for it...

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marishka

I've been using the Scoop Free since Nov 2nd and love it so much. With working and goign to school full-time, having a month to not change the litter box is just amazing. Marishka took to it the same day, too. And no odor. I have never been happier with cat poop!
Thanks for the input! So how's it do as far as noise? Because a little noise I can get used to but her litter box is close to my bedroom so too much wouldn't work.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, the only noise it emits is 20 minutes after the cat leaves the box, the rake goes across the box. Mine is in the basement, so I don't really hear it too often unless it happens to go when I'm at my desk or doing laundry (both are in the basement). It's a soft "whurr" for a minute or two.

I don't know if you have like a fish tank or anything, but the noise of the litterbox is less annoying than the splashing of water all day from my fish tank...lol.
Maybe I'm just weird cause hearing that the litterbox working is soothing

If ya want to know anything else, just let me know. I've convinced my sister to buy one for her house, and a friend is (almost) convinced.
BTW, if anyone lives near a Jack's Aquarium & Pets, they're on sale for $99!

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marishka

Well, the only noise it emits is 20 minutes after the cat leaves the box, the rake goes across the box. Mine is in the basement, so I don't really hear it too often unless it happens to go when I'm at my desk or doing laundry (both are in the basement). It's a soft "whurr" for a minute or two.

I don't know if you have like a fish tank or anything, but the noise of the litterbox is less annoying than the splashing of water all day from my fish tank...lol.
Maybe I'm just weird cause hearing that the litterbox working is soothing

If ya want to know anything else, just let me know. I've convinced my sister to buy one for her house, and a friend is (almost) convinced.
BTW, if anyone lives near a Jack's Aquarium & Pets, they're on sale for $99!
THANK YOU! That seems like the best bet for my price range...now let's see if I can either convince my mom to get it for me for christmas...otherwise it may be a while till i can afford it.

mskitty666

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to own two Littermaids, tried the Purrforma and currently own two Litter Robots. I found that the littermaids required more maintenance than regular boxes so when they were destroyed during a move I chose not to replace them. I used jumbo boxes and litter crystals. Finally I decided to get an automatic box and made the horrendous mistake of getting the purrforma. Let's not even talk about that. Then in desperation, I decided to try the odd looking, expensive litter robot. I was not disappointed. I was just on their web site and they now have the litter robot II with some design improvements. There is a 60 day money back guarantee and now an installment payment option. I know from personal experience and 3 purchases with this company that their customer service is outstanding. I'm sure they honor their return policy.The best site for info on automatic litter boxes is this one http://www.litterbox-central.com/forum/ . Good luck.