TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Will this food encourage crystals?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Will this food encourage crystals? - Page 2

post #31 of 57
What kind of Science Diet is he on?
post #32 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl2good View Post
What kind of Science Diet is he on?
He isn't on any Science Diet at the moment. He was on the C/D for a month, but he had diahrea the whole time and it didn't even change his urine sample results. Right now he's eating Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea. I'm sure his food will be changing here real soon though. Just waiting to hear what my vet finds out. Btw, Sluggo is doing fine at the moment. He seems more aloof than usual, but it might be because he got a lion cut on Friday, so I think he's chilly.
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
I'm going to hijack here to ask a stupid question: I use clumping litter. How would I know if there are crystals in the urine when I'm scooping the clumps? What should I look for?
Struvite and calcium oxalate crystals have to be identified microscopically. It's not possible to view them with the naked eye.
post #34 of 57
Me and my boys are also keeping our fingers crossed!!!

I went through the similar dilemma of feeding non-RX food with lower magnesium and ash vs. RX food, and decided to feed Pico the prescription food. If he ever gets blocked, I don't want to look back and say, "Oh, I wish I had fed him the RX food...". After having done a lot of reading and label screening, I decided to put him on the Royal Canin (Walthams for you guys in the US) Urinary S/O and he has made the transition well. He is on 1/2 can wet + 1/2 cup dry per day and gobbles it up. His 6 week urinalysis came back clean, so we are thrilled. In addition to giving both of our cats the canned food, we're also adding a splash of water into their bowls to increase their water intake. Pico's never been a big water drinker (probably contributing to his initial UTI), so this has helped a lot. Best of luck!
post #35 of 57
Dear Landscpsam and Sluggo:

I don't have personal experience with that food but agree that Science Diet is junk. My Samuda battled UTI's for years until we moved here to the desert from a very polluted urban area (between a Superfund cleanup site and a sewage treatment plant and the nation's largest landfill -- how's that for toxic?) and for some reason, he's been FINE ever since, leading me to believe it was the water that caused his problems (it was well water!!!) I tried bottled water on him but he only wanted tap water. Doesn't your doctor have Sluggo on Methigel? If not, you may want to ask why not. I feed mostly Nutro Max Cat or Nutro Natural or Nutro Complete Care, augmented with Natural Balance, Optimum Nature's Recipe, and some ProPlan and Triumph. The common wisdom used to be avoidance of ash and magnesium; Triumph is low in both, and known as a specific diet for cats with urinary tract problems. You may want to copy this out and take it to your vet and ask? GOOD LUCK!!!
post #36 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06 View Post
Doesn't your doctor have Sluggo on Methigel? If not, you may want to ask why not.
What is Methigel?
post #37 of 57
Ask your veterinarian about Methigel. It is a gel methionine supplement (something cats with chronic UTI's often need) designed to be given to your cat to prevent the formation of struvite crystals in the urine. I'm surprised your vet has not recommended it!
post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06 View Post
Ask your veterinarian about Methigel. It is a gel methionine supplement (something cats with chronic UTI's often need) designed to be given to your cat to prevent the formation of struvite crystals in the urine. I'm surprised your vet has not recommended it!
Really? I've never heard of it. Very interesting. Struvite is the one they get when it's too basic, right?
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurrPaws View Post
Really? I've never heard of it. Very interesting. Struvite is the one they get when it's too basic, right?
Yup on the struvite.. it is the common one and happens when the urine isnt acidic enough... The gel is good but there is debate on how it can affect overall health( ie some folks avoiding food s that contain it) ... I personallyfeed a food with a low to moderate leval and the one eating it has no UTI issues ...
post #40 of 57
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "too basic", nor do I know the answer to your question. It's probably best run by your vet, or you may want to check out a veterinary website.
post #41 of 57
Thread Starter 
Well, after a discussion with my local holistic vet, it was determined that Sluggo was in a state of emergency and should be put on the Waltham-Royal Canin SO immediately. I bought him a case of the wet, which I really didn't think he'd like because he doesn't like any other wet canned food. Anyway, he loves it and the best part is after 3 days there were no longer crystals in his litterbox! I'm amazed and very happy to say the least. When he peed there would be a pile like snow of crystals and now nothing. I asked the vet if it was possible after 3 days that it could dissolve them and she said yes. After Sluggo is finished with this treatment we're going to put him on a homemade diet. I've been doing alot of reading and research and I really believe this will be the answer for Sluggo. Other than that, Sluggo will go in for another urine test just before Christmas to see where his pH is at now. I'm told he could be on this special canned food for a month or two before we switch him, so keep your fingers crossed that his test comes back normal! I'll keep you all posted. And btw, thanks for all the suggestions. What a great bunch of people you all are!
post #42 of 57
RIGHT BACK AT'CHA!!!

That is GREAT news about Sluggo's progress (love his name, by the way... )
and I know several cats who absolutely thrive on homemade diets, including one young man who just celebrated his 21st birthday! He was rescued from an unknown background and weighed just five pounds when he came to the sanctuary from where my friend adopted him. He is now weighing in at around 12 healthy pounds, and doing just great -- in fact, he has his own blog, and is a world-famous kittystar!

Please do keep us apprised of Sluggo's progress. Success stories, we LOVE!
post #43 of 57
Can I offer you another suggestion? My vet was nice enough to order me my very own bottle of urine test strips, so I could test Polly's urine at home. A box of strips cost me about the same as one UA at the vet's. You won't be able to check for cystals with the strips, but you can check for blood, pH and other things. If the pH is right, there shouldn't be any crystals.
post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lndscpsam View Post
Well, after a discussion with my local holistic vet, it was determined that Sluggo was in a state of emergency and should be put on the Waltham-Royal Canin SO immediately. I bought him a case of the wet, which I really didn't think he'd like because he doesn't like any other wet canned food. Anyway, he loves it and the best part is after 3 days there were no longer crystals in his litterbox! I'm amazed and very happy to say the least. When he peed there would be a pile like snow of crystals and now nothing. I asked the vet if it was possible after 3 days that it could dissolve them and she said yes. After Sluggo is finished with this treatment we're going to put him on a homemade diet. I've been doing alot of reading and research and I really believe this will be the answer for Sluggo. Other than that, Sluggo will go in for another urine test just before Christmas to see where his pH is at now. I'm told he could be on this special canned food for a month or two before we switch him, so keep your fingers crossed that his test comes back normal! I'll keep you all posted. And btw, thanks for all the suggestions. What a great bunch of people you all are!

what kind of homemade food are you making? I am thinking of trying the same thing.
post #45 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl2good View Post
what kind of homemade food are you making? I am thinking of trying the same thing.
I'm reading a book right now called "The Whole Pet Diet" by Andi Brown. She's the owner of Halo, which makes Spots Stew. Her book is recommended by Dr. Pitcairn, so it's got to be good. Anyway, she has recipes for the Spots Stew as well as other recipes for food. I'm going to try that when the time comes. Btw, Sluggo is doing FANTASTIC!!! He's only been on his prescription food for two weeks, but I've got a new cat here! He's feeling much better and is even using his regular litterbox now. I'm very pleased to say the least. I'll go get Sluggo's urine tested next week and let you all know how it turns out. Thanks to the person who suggested strips btw!! Well thanks to everyone for all your advice and opinions. This list is just so awesome!!!
post #46 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lndscpsam View Post
I'm reading a book right now called "The Whole Pet Diet" by Andi Brown. She's the owner of Halo, which makes Spots Stew. Her book is recommended by Dr. Pitcairn, so it's got to be good. Anyway, she has recipes for the Spots Stew as well as other recipes for food. I'm going to try that when the time comes. Btw, Sluggo is doing FANTASTIC!!! He's only been on his prescription food for two weeks, but I've got a new cat here! He's feeling much better and is even using his regular litterbox now. I'm very pleased to say the least. I'll go get Sluggo's urine tested next week and let you all know how it turns out. Thanks to the person who suggested strips btw!! Well thanks to everyone for all your advice and opinions. This list is just so awesome!!!
Is Waltham ROyal Canin SO prescription?

What does anyone know about Royal Canin 33?
post #47 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl2good View Post
Is Waltham ROyal Canin SO prescription?

What does anyone know about Royal Canin 33?
33 i beleive says skin and coat .. it s focas is that... I will check tonight
post #48 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
33 i beleive says skin and coat .. it s focas is that... I will check tonight

well, it does not have ANY phosphorus, according to the bag. Thanks, sharky!
post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl2good View Post
well, it does not have ANY phosphorus, according to the bag. Thanks, sharky!
It has phos cause all foods do .. getting that may mean calling ... but I will check ..
post #50 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
It has phos cause all foods do .. getting that may mean calling ... but I will check ..

thanks a lot!
post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl2good View Post
thanks a lot!
.095 phos ... I called RC
post #52 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
.095 phos ... I called RC
wow, too much! That's a lot! Thanks for the info!

What, in your opinion, is the best non prescription food that I can try for my cats? (Low Phosphorus)
post #53 of 57
well okay you asked...lol..

I need all the "kids" issues ( allergies , uti , etc.) ages and activity levals and anything you DONT want in the food and $$ will to spend..
post #54 of 57
Humble has NO allergies. He does not like the dry eukanumba or the k/d.

He will sort of nibble at Purina One Urinary Tract dry. He won't touch the wet eukaunuba or the wet k/d

He takes 1/4 of a benazepril daily. He has all normal blood work but the UD is slightly elevated (I think it is UD). Doctor says he is in the VERY beginning stages of renal difficulties. He had bladder stone removed in November.

Right now the only wet food he will touch is beech nut baby food, stage 1, turkey and broth.

I started him on nutra cal yesterday.

SHenandoah needs to lose 1.5 pounds. What is the best thing for him?
He used to eat Fancy Feast but will not touch it now. He will eat the baby food as well and also will eat dry.
How can I deal with them both?

Humble is at a good weight. He likes to nibble little bits all day. Shenandoah would eat all day if he could get at it.

How would you handle this?


I feel like I am talking to someone who knows as much as a vet.

THANKS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
well okay you asked...lol..

I need all the "kids" issues ( allergies , uti , etc.) ages and activity levals and anything you DONT want in the food and $$ will to spend..
post #55 of 57
The too that pop into mind are Nutro max senior ... ( silly question what is UD??) and Royal canins senior .... I will post links to profiles ...
post #56 of 57
http://www.nutroproducts.com/mcgcsrc.asp
the above is Nutro max senior


http://www.royalcanin.us/catfood/activemature.html
this is Royal canins active mature 28 ... the phos is .064 and the total ash is 6.1


Both would likely help in wt maintence .....


Nutro natural choice indoor has l carnitine which aids in fat metabloism

http://www.nutroproducts.com/ncccis.asp
post #57 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
The too that pop into mind are Nutro max senior ... ( silly question what is UD??) and Royal canins senior .... I will post links to profiles ...

Maybe it is BUN levels that were somewhat off...I cannot remember. I will go look at those 3 foods.



The Nutro sounds great, as both cats are totally indoor kitties and not active.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Will this food encourage crystals?