my husband needs advice HELP

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
myhusband is stil living in the south and in three weeks ( almost ) he wil come up here permanently. a few days ago a little gray cat turned up atthe back door meowing rubbing his legs and wanting to come in the house. he didn't feed it. but it now waits for him every evening and greets him with the clear hope he will let the cat in. he says the cat is tame but has no collar and he sees it every night now.

well he doesn't know what to do because there are no lost cat signs hanging around and he doesn't trust the local humane shelter not to euthanize the cat if he brings it in. and he isn't going to drive out here with a new cat - that much he says.

so he asked me to ask y'all what to do.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abigail

myhusband is stil living in the south and in three weeks ( almost ) he wil come up here permanently. a few days ago a little gray cat turned up atthe back door meowing rubbing his legs and wanting to come in the house. he didn't feed it. but it now waits for him every evening and greets him with the clear hope he will let the cat in. he says the cat is tame but has no collar and he sees it every night now.

well he doesn't know what to do because there are no lost cat signs hanging around and he doesn't trust the local humane shelter not to euthanize the cat if he brings it in. and he isn't going to drive out here with a new cat - that much he says.

so he asked me to ask y'all what to do.
He should post "found cat" flyers around the neighborhood...even if there are no missing cat flyers...it could simply be a cat that "visits" the neighborhood. If he gets no response after a week, I would ask around the neighborhood to see if anyone wants this rather friendly cat.

Katie

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abigail

...a little gray cat turned up atthe back door meowing rubbing his legs and wanting to come in the house. he didn't feed it. but it now waits for him every evening and greets him with the clear hope he will let the cat in...... and he isn't going to drive out here with a new cat - that much he says. so he asked me to ask y'all what to do.
Looks like kitty has chosen its new owner. My vote, bring it in.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i agree with auntie crazy, it does look the cat just chose its owner..bring him in lol thats how i got bella somewhat lol and she followed us as we knocked on doors lol and wouldnt leave my side

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
To summarize: He shall work on double traces:

During the time he can take in the cat if convenient; help the little one. If not convenient, he can give it some shelter and food outside.

He shall of course write him up with flyers: Found.

if there is no owner - he may/should consider to adopt the kitty. Kitty will be used to him, it is almost three weeks left, so it is no driving with unknown cat...
. Cat in a transport box (dog crate even better). It is wise to have a lead/leash on, so there is no danger the cat gets out and disappears during the drive.

If he dont want/can adopt, he shall seek after a new owner. Ask his friends/collegues. Neighbours. Write him up: Friendly cuddlesome cat seeking home...
To ask friends/collegues/neighbours = people he know and people who know him - is the most effective...

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think he should bring the cat/kitten back with him, on a temporary basis, and that you both should (if possible) try to find a new home for the kitten, in your local area. Otherwise, he should find a no kill shelter where he is, to assist in placing the cat. If he takes it to the shelter it may not make it...

If you don't have too many issues, try bringing the cat back to your place.

I got 2 cats that way - Lexi the bobtailed minxy manx, and my dear heart tiny Siamese / Oriental shorthair Orange tabby cross!
Both came to stay.
Dearheart is up for adoption...but stays with me till I find a GOOD home.

And it looks like I'm getting back 2 kittens from the shelter that I took in...
seems they are too shy to show well there....Sigh.