Oliver's Update

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I hope that everyone had a happy Thanksgiving holiday. Friday after Thanksgiving I took Oliver to a new vet - and I am so happy that I did! She told me that he had a floating knee-cap, but she felt that his limping and pain was probably from a low grade fever. She ran another hiv/aids test because she said they have had 2 shelter kittens test positive about 4-6 months after their first negative tests. Thank goodness the test was still negative! So, she sent his blood sample out to be tested for Bartonella's Disease - which, you all prbably know is the infection that causes Cat Scrath Fever! She said if he does have that, it is easily curible. Or, he could be a carrier of herpes and always have the sniffles, etc. Also, he had very bad yeast and bacteria infections in his ears! Poor baby has drops and ear washes and eye drops! He is such a little trooper though and everyone loved him at the vets. There was even a stupid man who let his English Bull Mastiff come over and stick her nose into Oliver's face and he didn't even budge. Actually the dog was HUGE, but very gentle - thank goodness. But the vet has two sides in her office and this guy had his dog on the cat side....grrrr!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, indeed.

BUT SMILES to you for caring so much and being such a good and responsible caregiver to little Oliver! I know it seems like a lot right now, but he WILL get through this and when he does, you'll be so glad you did everything you did to ensure his good health! Congratulations for being such a wonderful and loving Meowmy to him and to all of your beloved feline family!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Oliver's update...my new vet just called me and said Ollie
s test for Bartonnellas came back negative. She thinks that he is a herpers carrier (no more wet kisses from him to me...HA!) I am going to pick up a lysine paste supplement tonight and he will get that 2x/day. He is such a little cuddle bug. I was SO happy to coe home last night and actually see him playing and climbing the cat tree! Maybe - I hope - he is on the road to recovery! Thanks for your thoughts.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well I bet you´re real gald you took him to another vets .......it does make you feel better when you have some answers .......nice too hear that he´s having a bit if cat-fun

heres sending some positive healthy {{{{{ vibes }}}}} for little Oliver and some
from my kitty-crew too !! kisses over the net are OK

keep us posted

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the vibes from Spain! They must be working, because my little man seems to be feeling better every day! He just HATES his ear drops, but is taking to the lysine in his food very well. Also, feeling his strength again - my kids have a 6' cat tree and he is now climbing to the top! I am enjoying this website so much - I will have to pull out my laptop and get it up and running, since I can only get on here for a bit of time while I am at work. Can't wait to get some photos downloaded to share my wonderful family with everyone. Thanks for all of your thoughts and wishes for my Oliver.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww........
I am glad Oliver is getting back to normal, well he must be if he´s climbing Christmas trees

...............hows those photos coming on

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha! I haven't put up my tree yet - I am afraid that he will think it IS for him to climb on! Sophie and Mollie know that it is really a place for me to hang ornaments that they can bat off and play with. I nee to get my digital camera working - I do remember that I can dowload photos to my laptop. I just don't know where to go from there. And everyone does sucha great job on this site with their photos1 I do great photos on all my kids fighting for the top perch of my cat tree...very funny!

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so enjoying this forum! And very thankful that I found it. It is nice to know that there are so many people who love cats and share each other's concerns about them. Also, who can appreciate and enjoy our crazy cat stories! Only someone who loves cats and is owned by them can possibly understand how they can just wrap us around their little paws and tug on our heart strings! Oliver has had a growth spurt - I swear it happened over night! When he goes to the vets on Sat. I am expecting that he will weigh at least 1lb. more than he did 10 days ago. So again, thanks to all of you who share my concerns for my little guy's health! And thank you for letting me express my concerns - it is hard to "vent" at work, since no-one here actually has any kind of pet. (except for the girl with the goldfish!)

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LNBANDCATS

I am so enjoying this forum! And very thankful that I found it. It is nice to know that there are so many people who love cats and share each other's concerns about them. Also, who can appreciate and enjoy our crazy cat stories! Only someone who loves cats and is owned by them can possibly understand how they can just wrap us around their little paws and tug on our heart strings! Oliver has had a growth spurt - I swear it happened over night! When he goes to the vets on Sat. I am expecting that he will weigh at least 1lb. more than he did 10 days ago. So again, thanks to all of you who share my concerns for my little guy's health! And thank you for letting me express my concerns - it is hard to "vent" at work, since no-one here actually has any kind of pet. (except for the girl with the goldfish!)
That's one of the true beauties of this site

BTW, don't underestimate the goldfish girl. Years ago I had a tank, and my angelfish that I had for almost 2 years got sick & was dying. I was so upset I call the Shedd Aquarium here in the city looking for advice & started crying when he told me there wasn't anything to be done

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Clixpix:

I empathize with you on your fish issues. I've rescued a number of fish over the years, as well as cats, and I've faced the same kinds of obstacles when they became ill. After spending small fortunes on every kind of conceivable filter, filtration material, aerator, "ick" medicine, etc., my little goldfish, one after another, succumbed, to ick or who-knows-what? and no one had any help for us. But the "Jack Dempsey Fish" (a cichlid) I rescued from being "flushed" by a heartless person lived many years, happily predating on other hapless fish until my folks put a glass between him and them. He used to wear himself out ramming the glass trying to get at them, after that.