gross discharge comming from 1 eye

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello

Recently one of my cat has been getting this disgusting discharge around ONE of his eyes. Looks like snot or something comming out of the corner of his eye & then it hardens and gets all crusty.

ANyone know what this is? its so annoying cause i always have to clean it off with my hands lol

Any better ways of cleaning it off?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It would be a good idea to bring him to the vet. My Abby had that when we adopted her, and it was conjunctivitis.

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

It would be a good idea to bring him to the vet. My Abby had that when we adopted her, and it was conjunctivitis.
Ditto - it sounds like you're dealing with an eye infection. Can you see the third eyelid? Is there any redness or swelling? If it is an infection, 7-10 days of ointment (from the vet) clears it up for my PJ.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use a tissue when cleaning out the corner of a cats eye.

girlieq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats, Rowan, has allergies to something, and had eye discharge when I first found him. It was really gross, but it's cleared up a lot. It used to be snot-like things, and if you pulled they'd just keep coming and eeeeew! Now he just gets 'sleepies', like people do. I just wipe them off every morning when we wake up. I'm sure that if ever got around to grooming his own face, he'd wipe them off, but he prefers to let his sister and I do the cleaning for him.

He had a really runny eye one time. I took him to the vet, and it was probably 'blunt force trauma'. The skid marks in the dust on the back of our roommate's giant TV show that he's not the most nimble cat in the world, so it wasn't terribly suprising. His poor eye was all puffy and oozing for a couple days, but he didn't scratch the lens.

I'd recommend just taking your kitty to the vet, if it doesn't clear up pretty quickly. Even though it'll cost you, it's better that worrying about what could be wrong.

I used to use a wet tissue, but now I just wash my hands after cleaning his eye off.

prdmmaf3kitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This could also be a virus. My kitten had what sounds like the same thing and it wased diagnosed as FCV or (Feline calicivirus) If your cat is not vaccinated for this then you should definately get him/her checked out.

-good luck

solar-kun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had a similar problem a bit after we found him, we used a tissue with cold tea on it to clean around the eye and it was over in 5 or 6 days.