An emotional moment....

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As some of you know, I've lost almost 100lbs. Yesterday, a friend of mine had brought some pictures into work. In the album there were pictures of me at my heaviest. One guy on my team said, "Geeze, who's the fat chick?!"

When I turned to him and said it was me, he turned bright red. He apologized for being crude, but the damage was done. I walked off with my head held high, but then cried my little heart out in the bathroom.

Why do people have to be so mean sometimes?

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost 100 lbs 2 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.

One of my brother's best friends actually asked me out, I called his bluff on it, I said somthing along the lines... why did you never ask me out this time last year.... he gave me a blank look. It was obviously because I looked better thinner.

Men are pigs

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats to both of you on your fabulous accomplishment! some people just never seem to realize that it is always the same person inside, but they always go by whats on the outside

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

As some of you know, I've lost almost 100lbs. Yesterday, a friend of mine had brought some pictures into work. In the album there were pictures of me at my heaviest. One guy on my team said, "Geeze, who's the fat chick?!"

When I turned to him and said it was me, he turned bright red. He apologized for being crude, but the damage was done. I walked off with my head held high, but then cried my little heart out in the bathroom.

Why do people have to be so mean sometimes?
I'm so sorry honey - you did something very hard, and it was for you. I won't say looks don't matter - obviously we all care about what we look like. But looks don't matter more than who we are inside, and you are a great person, fat or thin or in between.

And you are a real lady for the way you behaved.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What an accomplishment to have lost that much weight!

What he said has absolutely nothing to do about you. It says everything about him and who he is.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

What an accomplishment to have lost that much weight!

What he said has absolutely nothing to do about you. It says everything about him and who he is.
I am sure he didn't mean to offend you or hurt your feelings.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good job on loosing so much weight. I know that you had to work very hard to do it. I would like to loose some weight too.

Don't let that guys comment get to you (I know its easier said than done). Its sad that some people think like that.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*hugs*

Congrats on your weight loss!!!

As for the guy you work with, ignore him. Unfortunately the guy is superficial and is part of the problem with society today.

People who make such cruel and crude comments like that are suffering from their own inadequacies and make those comments because they believe it puts them above the other person: which most of us know isn't true.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the damage is done when people say things that leave you thinking doesn't matter what it was about, that's the worst thing anyone can do, you chose to turn your back and I hope you can let it go. I have never felt that someone or anyone has the right to make someone else feel miserable, don't let one statement destory your confidence, just consider he's a lame duck And let it go You know how hard you worked to do what you did, don't let one person ruin your effort. Lots of
to you. And I know you can alway's say Bit happens right?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on the weight loss.
I would ignore what that guy said-he obviously was embarrassed (besides being thoughtless).

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

Men are pigs
Anger issues maybe? trust me it works both way.

lookingglass
"Why do people have to be so mean sometimes"

but as to why people say mean things, it cause they want people to feel as bad as they do. I see my boss to it to others in the office all the time, it allows them to feel better about who they are. by trying to make you feel bad about yourself. Or they think it makes them look cool or funny.

And of course Fat people are among the last that socity still seems to think it is ok to make fun of.

I hope you feel good about yourself you should
i know how hard it is to lose that much weight.
hope your day gets better

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People often stick their feet in their mouth. He was probably just trying to get a laugh or maybe he was even curious as to who it was.. Most people really only say things like that to impress other people and don't really personally feel that way anyway. I know that I've said some REALLY BAD things by mistake, or in an attempt to be funny or whatever. And people always say insensitive things to me by mistake, so I just brush it off. I'm sure he did not mean to offend you.. but I'm sorry that he did! Congrats on all the hard work.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Being what society usually calls a "fat chick", I am always paranoid about what people are saying behind my back. Sad thing is, this guy obviously thought it was socially acceptable to make fun of whoever was in the picture because the people around him weren't "fat".

Heather, you've done an amazing thing by losing all of that weight! Be proud of that, and don't let the shallow people in society get you down. We love ya, no matter what your weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone...
It just sucked.

The same guy that called me "the fat chick" yesterday tried to buy me lunch today. I told him I'd pass and go eat with my husband. He blushed again.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

I'm so sorry honey - you did something very hard, and it was for you. I won't say looks don't matter - obviously we all care about what we look like. But looks don't matter more than who we are inside, and you are a great person, fat or thin or in between.

And you are a real lady for the way you behaved.
My hat's off to you for your accomplishment
, and for your poise in that awkward moment.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I walked off with my head held high
Good for You!!!

The same guy that called me "the fat chick" yesterday tried to buy me lunch today. I told him I'd pass and go eat with my husband. He blushed again.
You go girl!!!

Congrats on your weight loss Heather!!!
Personally, I think you should let 8-Bit loose on him. hahahahahaha

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forget that jerk honey! His aweful comment is not worth your tears
/ You want me to
him for you?? I'd be happy to
!/ Seriously though heather, what you did when you lost your weight was sooooo good for your body, your body image, and everything else- that is a huge thing right there and an awesome acomplishment! You should be proud of yourself- you did something successfully that many people struggle with. I have always been small- but I can't stand it when people pick on others becuse of size or weight. One of my best friends is about 300lbs right now, and you wouldn't believe how aweful people can be to her- it's like they go out of their way to make a fat joke- i don't stand for it- i march right up to the jerks and put them in their place every time. I wish people would look past body size sometimes and for once look a person in their eyes you know. Yes, size does matter as far as health reasons go- but no person should ever be subjected to ridicule because of their weight- ever, that is just unacceptable. Hopefully one day, that guy will realize how aweful he made you feel and won't repeat those actions again. I'm so sorry he made you cry sweetie, i would have been hurt to, but try to remember that nobody can ever make you feel inferior without your concsent - a nice lady named roosevelt once said that.
Hang in there gorgeous- that guy's comment isn't worth a dime.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

Men are pigs
I wouldn't say that ALL men are pigs. There are many good guys out there.
/ Men can sometimes be mean just as women can. I don't think an entire gender should be classified as "pigs" because of the action of one person. That's just not right.